Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,128 times

Advertisements

I have lived in my current rental home with 2 roommates for two years. Our lease ends in August, and we're all moving out. I am very interested in moving out in May instead so I can avoid paying rent in two places, as I am looking to sign a new lease this spring with my fiancee, whose lease ends in April. I'm not interested in trying to find a sub-leaser for 3 months because i'm not confident that I would find someone that quickly or for that time frame, nor would i want to put my roommates out with something completely random. I've thought about possibly finding a mutual friend to take over my part of the lease for the last few months, then thought that they could maybe start a brand new lease with other people once all of us move out? Are tenants even allowed to suggest people to their landlords for leasing?

I really don't wanna screw over my roommates, and will stay if there are no options... but does anyone have any advice or past experiences of this nature? I've thought about straight up begging my landlord to let me skip out early without charging my roommates... aka costing him money. But we've been really good tenants and i might have leverage because our basement just recently flooded with sewage for the SECOND time. After it happened the first time they cleaned it and fixed it but said it was indicative of a pipe clean up job that they continued to neglect until it flooded again... i mean i feel like he owes me.

ANY THOUGHTS LOL IM DESPERATE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Your ll is not going to just accept 2/3 rent on the place for several months.
Man up, and pay your share or tell your roommates you would like to know if they would be willing to start paying half and let you out of lease pmt responsibility.
You signed a contract. If your LL had come to you 3 months ago and said, "you know...my wife and i would like to buy another house and would like to get 1000. More each month than you signed the lease for, to help offset pmts", would you have veen ok with that? Probably not, because he would be violating the lease. Itcworks both ways.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 1,128 times
good perspective, i'm being pretty one sided. thanks!!

Old 02-26-2019, 11:55 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelch21 View Post
good perspective, i'm being pretty one sided. thanks!!
Its natural for you to feel as you do, but, yeah, I'd definitely recommend looking at things from more than one side. The LL kept his side of the bargain and should not be penalized for you failing to keep your side of the bargain.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
A lease is a lease.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwelch21 View Post
I have lived in my current rental home with 2 roommates for two years. Our lease ends in August, and we're all moving out. I am very interested in moving out in May instead so I can avoid paying rent in two places, as I am looking to sign a new lease this spring with my fiancee, whose lease ends in April. I'm not interested in trying to find a sub-leaser for 3 months because i'm not confident that I would find someone that quickly or for that time frame, nor would i want to put my roommates out with something completely random. I've thought about possibly finding a mutual friend to take over my part of the lease for the last few months, then thought that they could maybe start a brand new lease with other people once all of us move out? Are tenants even allowed to suggest people to their landlords for leasing?

I really don't wanna screw over my roommates, and will stay if there are no options... but does anyone have any advice or past experiences of this nature? I've thought about straight up begging my landlord to let me skip out early without charging my roommates... aka costing him money. But we've been really good tenants and i might have leverage because our basement just recently flooded with sewage for the SECOND time. After it happened the first time they cleaned it and fixed it but said it was indicative of a pipe clean up job that they continued to neglect until it flooded again... i mean i feel like he owes me.

ANY THOUGHTS LOL IM DESPERATE
He doesn’t owe you anything. As long as he cleans up as he is supposed to he’s not beholden to you in any way.

You can walk away any time. Your roomates would have to come up with the full rent amount even if you dont pitch in your portion. The LL will start eviction notice naming all occupants on the notice if the rent isn’t paid in full

When I rent to roomates I make it clear that they are all equally responsible for the rent.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Sure you can ask for anything, in the sense that I can also ask Jennifer Lawrence to go out on a date with me.

You signed a legally binding document obligating you to pay rent through August. If all parties on the lease agree, your landlord may let you sublet, but he doesn't have to (outside of some very specific locations which probably don't apply). Your roommates might not agree to this either.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:12 PM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
I doubt your LL would take less than any existing lease. Negotiating with your roommates is a better option.

Have your BF get a 3-month extension on his lease. Then move to a new place without paying rent in two places.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:23 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Yes, you could have a new roommate assume your share of the lease. And yes, that new roommate could also apply with two new roommates to take over the lease. It could work out. But I like the idea of your partner extending lease for 3 months better, if they can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting