U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 PM

610 posts, read 1,118,811 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting an apartment of my own next year once I turn 21 but I have a huge concern.

Long story short: I moved in with a roommate last summer but moved out later because of family reasons. Roommate said that he had another tenant moving in for me so not to worry about rent. Found out he was evicted during the winter time and now the apartment is suing me (not HIM) for late rent (close to $2000). Lawyers were supposed to bill me monthly payments or whatever and haven't yet. Tried calling them but no answers.

Question: Since I owe this money and it shows as an eviction on my rental history; how badly is this going to affect me getting another apartment?? Will it lower my chances by some or completely by even applying?

Thanks,
John

By the way, I'd appreciate the answers to be from landlords (current or past), owners, or any kind of experience. Keep your opinions to yourself.

Last edited by Johnny Bananas; 07-24-2009 at 11:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:31 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,002,355 times
Sorry, I wouldn't rent to you. Your excuses sound like the typical ones that many deadbeats give when they're evicted.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Sorry, I wouldn't rent to you. Your excuses sound like the typical ones that many deadbeats give when they're evicted.
So you're calling me a deadbeat eh?! Are you a landlord? If so then thanks for the answer but if not then please keep your opinion to yourself.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 PM

12,045 posts, read 12,456,927 times
Its possible you can find a landlord that rents without credit checks,
there ususally not in the best of neighborhoods.

Some Landlords will charge a larger security deposit, if allowable by
state law. It may take some searching.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Its possible you can find a landlord that rents without credit checks,
there ususally not in the best of neighborhoods.

Some Landlords will charge a larger security deposit, if allowable by
state law. It may take some searching.
It's a good thing I'm in no hurry right now to look for a place. Most of the online searching has turned up places that are really out of my price range but also noticed that a lot of the apartments around here are not listed so I'm just going to find a time to "apartment shop".

The main concern is the old apartment will finally start giving me a bill once and if I move into a new place which would screw up everything I've saved for. I have a plan but as soon as those bills come in, that plan is gone.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
So you're calling me a deadbeat eh?! Are you a landlord? If so then thanks for the answer but if not then please keep your opinion to yourself.
I said that your excuses are typical excuses. And, they tend to be used by people who are deadbeat renters.

"It's not my fault, my roommate is the one responsible..."

"Nobody will answer my phone calls when I try to pay..."

"Nobody told me I owed anything..."

Et cetera.

If you were on the lease, they can sue you for the entire amount, even if you had a roommate also on the lease. They can sue either one of you, and get a judgment for the whole amount. If you end up paying, you very likely could sue your ex-roommate and recover half of the total amount.

So if you don't like being called a deadbeat, pay up. Simple as that. Otherwise, yeah, you're a deadbeat with excuses.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I said that your excuses are typical excuses. And, they tend to be used by people who are deadbeat renters.

"It's not my fault, my roommate is the one responsible..."

"Nobody will answer my phone calls when I try to pay..."

"Nobody told me I owed anything..."

Et cetera.

If you were on the lease, they can sue you for the entire amount, even if you had a roommate also on the lease. They can sue either one of you, and get a judgment for the whole amount. If you end up paying, you very likely could sue your ex-roommate and recover half of the total amount.

So if you don't like being called a deadbeat, pay up. Simple as that. Otherwise, yeah, you're a deadbeat with excuses.
I sure as hell don't like being called a deadbeat because I'm nowhere like my father who is so that's why I take it seriously. And also, who am I to pay?? The lawyer was supposed to tell me who to pay, how much, etc. But can I do that? NO because I can't reach him.

I will admit that I made some mistakes while under that lease but I will NOT take full responsibility. My whole credit is down the drain because of this and I'm trying to restore it but I have to take care of this and that first. My mother wants me to get my own place so that is why I'm asking.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 AM

23,912 posts, read 31,979,350 times
Quote:
It's a good thing I'm in no hurry right now to look for a place. Most of the online searching has turned up places that are really out of my price range but also noticed that a lot of the apartments around here are not listed so I'm just going to find a time to "apartment shop".

The main concern is the old apartment will finally start giving me a bill once and if I move into a new place which would screw up everything I've saved for. I have a plan but as soon as those bills come in, that plan is gone.
I'd say your priority should be to pay off the $2000 while you're still living at home. As long as you're working you should be able to do that in six months or less. (And if you aren't working, I wouldn't rent to you anyhow)

Once that's paid off, start looking for a rental. I'd avoid the complexes and try the private owner route. Offer a higher security deposit and explain that you didn't realize this was happening and have paid all the rent owed.

But I have to say your priority has to be your old debts first before incurring any new expenses.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I sure as hell don't like being called a deadbeat because I'm nowhere like my father who is so that's why I take it seriously. And also, who am I to pay?? The lawyer was supposed to tell me who to pay, how much, etc. But can I do that? NO because I can't reach him.

I will admit that I made some mistakes while under that lease but I will NOT take full responsibility. My whole credit is down the drain because of this and I'm trying to restore it but I have to take care of this and that first. My mother wants me to get my own place so that is why I'm asking.
Look, YOU screwed up. When you moved out, you did not take care of the legal end of things by settling up with the landlord and getting your name off the lease. That makes YOU as responsible as your roommate for whatever is owed.

As far as not being able to contact the lawyer, I call shenanigans on that because lawyers are in the business to make money. If you have money waiting for that lawyer, then sure as hell they'll take your calls.

Time to man up and be an adult. Just sayin'...

Old 07-25-2009, 12:52 PM

229 posts, read 433,045 times
Best advice I can give you is look for a private owner and not these big rental companies. Some won't check your credit. They make ask for your social just in case you decide not to pay. Keep in mind that you take some extra risk yourself by giving your personal information to someone you don't know who isn't employed by a company, but you may not have many alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting