Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 09:54 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

I painted my apt because when I moved in l asked if I could paint and ll said yes.now 1 1/2 years later I tell her I'm moving out and she says I have to paint it back to white. I reminded her that she didn't paint when I moved in(walls were dirty) and she said I could paint any color. She then said "I would have painted it light colors . She saw what colors I painted it when I first painted it. Nothing is in writing about it. Also she said no one could use garage but then I see downstairs tenent using it. I asked her about it and she said her car was vandalized twice and besides she pays extra for it. She never gave me the opportunity to bid on it and even stranger because I lived here first. Lastly I don't know what bank my depoait is in because she never told me or put it in writing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
It is common to require that the walls be returned to a neutral color if a tenant was allowed to paint. However this should have been in writing if none other than a note or e-mail to that effect. Do you have a tenant handbook or any other document besides the lease? It may be addressed there. Repaint the walls and be sure you're present for the final inspection and have her sign off on the walkthru form. If there is no form, then have her write something that states that cleaning and repairs, repainting etc are done to her satisfaction.

Security deposits are normally held in a trust account but I don't see how knowing which bank it's in would help you anyways. We don't tell our tenants what bank the account is in but probably would if they asked out of curiousity.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
We require priming the wall since we paint every single time someone moves out. If it's a deep color like red we only require it to be painted with enough primer so that one coat can bring it back to the same color as all other rentals. It may take two or three coats depending on the color of course. If it takes more than one coat we only charge for the extra coats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting