Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times

Advertisements

No matter how messy the tenant is, normal wear and tear is still your responsibility as a LL, and you need to leave yourself proper time to take care of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:32 AM

13,408 posts, read 9,940,077 times
I know it's usually in the lease (and realistically, if you ever want to find a place to live you have to agree to it) that the landlord can show the property whilst the current tenant is still living there, and that renters have to suck it up - but it's very intrusive to have people (strangers) walk through the house that you're paying for (I've never seen a LL offer reduced rent for the inconvenience), and you don't know if the landlord is showing your belongings to people who are casing the place to see if you have any valuables they can come back and steal.

I understand you want your property to not sit vacant after the tenant moves out but I wish you would wait until the place is empty or at least offer some discount for the inconvenience.

Oh well, not a perfect world I guess

Old 07-03-2010, 06:10 PM

171 posts, read 444,256 times
Also, if the place is truly that disgusting--as opposed to some of the people mentioning piles of boxes while moving out--I'd be a bit leery of anyone who was eager to rent the unit. In addition to not putting the best spin on your product, could give other equally messy or otherwise undesirable prospective tenants the impression of "Cool. Look how messy these people are. LL must not care what we'll do either."

Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 680 times
Default Wanted to know if I will get denied for an apartment

hello everyone, I have a question about getting an apartment. I apply for an apartment, I did everything and bring every prof that they requested, putting my $300 hold on the apartment, but this is my first time renting. I've live with my parents most of my life, and my parents is very messy, they are hoarders, we have three cats, and they're smokers. The landlord that I'm trying to rent from requested an inspection on my parents house before giving me an apartment. I scrub and clean the best I can everyday, but it's still messy. Now, recently, my parents got custody of my niece, and they gave up their bedroom so my niece can have her own bedroom, and my parent use the living room as their bedroom. Now we used the dinning room as our living room. This is why I wanted to move out because their apartment is only a two bedroom and there's not much room at all. I'm never home because I work 10 hrs and go school. But I'm afraid I might not get the apartment if they come inspect my parents house because it is so bad. What should I do.? Any tip?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
OLD TOPIC WARNING!!!

This topic is 7 years old. We should have a birthday party instead of CPR for a gone and dead topic.

I just don't understand why new members don't just start a NEW TOPIC instead of reviving a beaten and dead horse.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:18 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
OLD TOPIC WARNING!!!

This topic is 7 years old. We should have a birthday party instead of CPR for a gone and dead topic.

I just don't understand why new members don't just start a NEW TOPIC instead of reviving a beaten and dead horse.
Yes, but did you not see the see question/situation right above your rant?

He did start a new topic..you mean a new thread.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughitsyou View Post
hello everyone, I have a question about getting an apartment. I apply for an apartment, I did everything and bring every prof that they requested, putting my $300 hold on the apartment, but this is my first time renting. I've live with my parents most of my life, and my parents is very messy, they are hoarders, we have three cats, and they're smokers. The landlord that I'm trying to rent from requested an inspection on my parents house before giving me an apartment. I scrub and clean the best I can everyday, but it's still messy. Now, recently, my parents got custody of my niece, and they gave up their bedroom so my niece can have her own bedroom, and my parent use the living room as their bedroom. Now we used the dinning room as our living room. This is why I wanted to move out because their apartment is only a two bedroom and there's not much room at all. I'm never home because I work 10 hrs and go school. But I'm afraid I might not get the apartment if they come inspect my parents house because it is so bad. What should I do.? Any tip?

They can ask to inspect and you can say no. You can tell them that your parents are the ones who rent/own this unit and they're not comfortable with this. If he denies you, he denies you. Find another unit.

If your parents are hoarders and their house is that bad, how in the heck did they get your niece?? Didn't the state do a home inspection?

Old 04-11-2017, 11:03 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
the proper way to show a rental is empty.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 04-11-2017 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: wrong post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting