Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,613 times

Advertisements

Hi I am the landlord of a beautifull 1914 4 bedroom duplex. The current tenants are incredibly messy..all clothes on floor, food caked on oven top, stuff everywhere..stored three rows deep from walls...the floors haven't been swept..its a pit..The problem is that they refuse to clean. I have asked nicely, asked forcefully and demanded via letter. I have even offered to send in cleaners at my expense. I think they enjoy my dilema.They are out of their lease in about 2 weeks, so they do not care. No time to do anything leagally because of the slow housing courts. (I do not even know if I can) The big problem is that all the prospective tenants are horrified and can not imagine living there. I have taken 6 different groups of people through and they are disgusted. Normally the place rent to the first and never more than second group. Given the blatant and mean spirited nature of ther action and the acknowledgement by them that they are attempting to harm my busines, do I have recourse to sue for loss of income? Any other advice..I have never encoutered such mean spirited young women in my 25 years of full tine landlording..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Just be glad the lease is about up and get them out...I just paid $100.00 to have a house cleaned and I feel that was a good price to get rid of a tenant that was behind on the rent...

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,928 times
I'd suggest - in two weeks after they leave, have it cleaned and then have a little "open house" and invite those six people back and anyone else who contacts you between now and then.

Sorry you have such a crappy renter. Sounds like she won't be getting her security deposit back.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,151 times
I never show a unit until it's vacant and cleaned, painted, etc. If a prospective tenant sees a filthy place, no matter how clean you will make it to be rentable, they will always have the visual of the place prior to it being clean.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Thats a big no-no when it comes to marketing. You'll never get
the place rented.

Always show only when move-in ready.

Last edited by virgode; 08-12-2009 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: pghing

Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thats a big no-no when it comes to marketing. You'll never get
the place rented.

Ditto!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,009 times
look at it this way, the more crap on the floors and counters the less likely to damage whats underneath!!! I have tenants who have clothes all over the floor, I think to myself well they can wreck their clothes and this stuff all over is protecting my walls, counters and floors from being damaged. Your almost rid of them!!

Old 08-13-2009, 02:57 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Could you ask a tidy tenant to show his or her apartment instead? Maybe offer that tenant a discount in rent or some other thank-you? You could tell the prospective tenant, "I have to show you 1B because the people in 1A are in the process of moving out, and then I want to have some minor repairs done so it's perfect for you. 1B is the same apartment, just the mirror image, and our tenant there has been so kind as to show her apartment to people. I just have to set it up with her beforehand."

It's just an idea. You're probably hesitating to do something that's going to cost you money (lowering the other tenant's rent, paying him or her, whatever), but not renting the messy place out is costing you too.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,882,619 times
people are always in such a hurry to sue for damage. DUDE, they are messy, renting...what are you going to get? It's called cost of doing business. I never show a place until it is empty, clean and painted when needed. A prospect can look at an occupied apartment or house and see a mess even when it's clean. A prospect likes to see walls and windows and where is "my" furniture going to fit. If a person can look and see where thier stuff fits, they are more likely to appreciate the unit.
Just plan on waiting until it's empty and ready. So you lose a month's rent. that's the cost of doing business.
Also, if there si so much stuff on the floors and counters, there is less dirt left behind. it'll be a snap to clean, they will take the dirt with them.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post

Great advice you might of just scared away the best tenant you might of ever had in 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting