U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 PM

81 posts, read 198,815 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of great info on the Landlord Protection Agency website. I just rented out my condo for a short term lease and decided registering on that site could provide me with all sorts of legal forms and info.I also signed up to be able to do credit checks on potential tenants. I am going to try to keep it up for sale as well, but if it does not sell by the lease end I will probably rent it out agin. Also, since the tenant only needed the place for 4 months the deal was that they would show the property - hope that goes well for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 PM

10,676 posts, read 28,486,584 times
True story on why you need renters insurance.

Guy rented town home with an upstairs balcony. Guy grills hamburgers for lunch. Wind kicks up in the afternoon, afternoon showers are possible.

Guy takes a nap. Guy is awoken by a loud screeching noise. Not me. I hear the fire dept sirens all the time because my office is two buildings away from the fire station. Except this time they go right past my building. Huh? I walk out onto the patio and see the smoke. I ran over to the group of three townhomes fully engulfed.

No one but guy renting is home. Guy renting is sitting in the back of a paramedics truck with oxygen and a blanket covering his privates. Me and a handful of residents stand nearby and watch the building burn near to the ground.

Two residents were owners and got to live in the Residence Inn for 4 months while the insurance company paid to rebuild the townhomes. Naked guy was not an owner and did not get to live at the Residence Inn.

Naked dude had nothing. And he didn't carry insurance. So in the end he was still naked and didn't even have keys to his car, or clothes to work in. The Red cross helped him out for a while with clothes and a place to stay.

Every renter needs to have renters insurance. And every landlord needs proof.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:35 AM

62 posts, read 418,042 times
forgive me for being selfish, or greedy, but who cares if the naked guy doesn't have anything? In theory, a homeowners insurance should take care of loss to said home, and the renters loss of personal items is their own loss, correct?

I might be missing something and thanks for taking the time to help a new rentee learn the ins and outs...

Old 08-18-2009, 05:26 PM

The insurance company did not cover anything inside the house, they consider personal property.

No countertop, no cabinets, no tile, no tub, no toilet, no sink, no carpet, no closet door, no interior doors...

How happy were the owners when they found out that the renter didn't carry insurance?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:57 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,034,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The insurance company did not cover anything inside the house, they consider personal property.

No countertop, no cabinets, no tile, no tub, no toilet, no sink, no carpet, no closet door, no interior doors...

How happy were the owners when they found out that the renter didn't carry insurance?

Didn't the owner have fire and dwelling insurance on the property, along with an umbrella or PIP policy too?
I do not understand your saying insurance didn't cover the inside components of the dwelling?? Who would insure a 'shell'??
Based on the insurance we've previously had on rental properties we would have been covered on the dwelling inside and out....but a stupid tenant without their own renter's insurance would have on their own as far as fire, robbery, etc....

maybe I am missing something?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 AM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
on a rental usually the distinction is drawn at the walls once you have a tenant unless you furnished the apartment and its your personal stuff and even then id check the policy to see if my own stuff in a rental was covered... an umbrella is usually liability only on events you caused

Old 08-19-2009, 06:46 AM

31,592 posts, read 55,295,005 times
The best reason for a landlord to force renters' insurance, if the landlord can, is because the $10,000--$20,000 liability insurance that comes with the policy will likely take the hit for a nuisance personal injury claim if a tenant's visitor trips and falls, etc.
Keep the claim off the landlord's policy or pocketbook.

The landlord might be wise to build it into the rent and make sure it is paid up.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:49 AM

It was a townhome. HOA provided insurance.

I always suggest to buyers that they get renters insurance (it's called content insurance) for owners in an HOA - wonder why?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,201,945 times
One thing i might add a little off the insurance topic is make sure you have receipts for everything in your home you leave such as appliances, etc.

Our renters just moved out after we evicted them for non-payment for 3 months (we kept giving them a chance to get caught up trying not to throw them on the street as they did have a little boy) but when they moved out, our fridge went missing and our stove was busted on the top beyond repair. Police couldn't do anything unless i PROVED the furnishings were mine with a receipt. It would have to go to a civil court matter if i want anything done in return.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:46 PM

64,529 posts, read 66,075,955 times
heres a tid bit for you as well. always use a lease, if a tenent has no lease and dosnt pay the rent how are you going to prove what the rent was,

also heres something i confirmed only recently with my insurance company and its true... if you live in an hoa or development and there is a law suite against the development and the settlement is for more than the insurance the hoa has everyone is responsible to pay the damages over and above.

we have a 2nd home in the poconos in a gated development, we have atv riders sneaking in and security chases them out. we wanted to know what happens if someones injured or killed because our security chased them and the settlement was more than the hoa policy.... everyone in the hoa is held responsible for the money.

but heres the thing, most homeowners insurance and unbrellas wont cover you as they only cover events caused by you, not someone else .

some companies sell a rider to cover you but you must ask for it, geico my company dosnt offer it and said they didnt believe we would be covered either under the regular policies.

i suggest anyone in a co-op, a condo or an hoa check with your insurance company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting