Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 05:54 PM

65 posts, read 145,114 times

Advertisements

I have posted about this topic before, yes. I am starting a new thread, yes. Many have given me advice, yes. Alright, we already have that covered. Great! Let's move on. I am asking a slightly different question this time around. Guy Upstairs is rarely home (lately, that is. I may have jinxed myself because he was actually home last time), but when he is home he's ridiculously loud. Who makes constant noise during the entire balance of their time at home? He must be on drugs. Why can't he just sit the heck down? Last night we got woken up by slamming closet doors at 2:15 AM. Am I being ridiculous for being mad about this? I really want to know. I have let this jerk completely change the way I feel about being at home. His presence clouds my life and blackens out my happiness. Am I being too emotional about this? Is it truly just part of apartment living to deal with this kind of disturbance? Please give me your opinion, but don't just say, "move". We have been looking and have not found anything yet worth our money or it's out of our price range. We have to live here until we find a place worthy of forking over A LOT of money. I really get unhappy when I'm interrupted during a restful sleep because dipwad can't be bothered to close his closet door quietly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:51 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
What do you want anyone to say that wasnt said on your previous 8 page thread with the same questions?

Old 04-17-2015, 07:58 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva32 View Post
Please give me your opinion, but don't just say, "move". We have been looking and have not found anything yet worth our money or it's out of our price range. We have to live here until we find a place worthy of forking over A LOT of money.
Move. May the worthy place soon be discovered.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
There isn't anything to add to what's already been said other than, you get what you pay for. You said you can't find anything 'worth your money', in other words you can't find another cheap unit. If you can't afford a mid range or high end unit, then you're going to deal with stuff like this (and worse)

It's daily living noise...not a thing you can do about it. He has a right to be up at 0200 if he chooses. I think you've trained yourself to hear the slightest noise and you make out to be thundering elephants across his floor...let it go already. You're slowing driving yourself crazy.

Just a reminder...all homes (apt, townhomes, single family homes, condos, etc) ALL have the potential for noise. It might not be shared wall noise, but there will be noise.

Good luck in your quest for peace...I hope you find it.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:28 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
I remember my second apartment complex I lived in, the leasing office agent told me the walls were fire walls. Steel inner lining under the drywall, essentially making ALL the units nearly noise proof! Oh man o man was I sold. My first night there, the neighbors decided to hang pictures with what sounded to be a sledge hammer. The walls vibrated with each hammer blow. It was horrible. This went on from 10p-3am. Another time my other neighbor played music so loud, I demonstrated for the police officer whom showed up for the noise complaint, how the marble I placed on my dresser bounced due to the amount of bass my idiot neighbor was playing.

I loathed apartment living!

Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,818,359 times
Am I expecting too much?

Yes.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:02 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva32 View Post
......... Am I being ridiculous for being mad about this?........
Is it normal to be irritated by a lot of noise that interferes with your sleep? Yes, it is.

Is it rude to make a lot of noise while living in an apartment building? Yes it is.

Is there anything you can do about it? No there isn't.

Is there anything the landlord can do about it? Probably not. It is not your landlord's job to referee between squabbling tenants.

Options are limited. Accept it and learn to tune it out. Wear earplugs. Move. If you expect the world to change to suit you, you are condemning yourself to a lifetime of disappointment.

Be aware that humans are noisy animals, so anywhere you move there is going to be a lot of noise. Unless you move to 8,000 acres in the middle of the Colorado wilderness. Then you won't hear any human noise, but the elk will bugle, the birds will tweet, the crows will caw, and the wind will whistle through the trees. It's won't be quiet, even out there.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I find it helps to turn on TV or Radio....no need to blast. But they do tend to Mask most everyday noise. Other than that a cabin in the woods, tho mind you Birds get up before Dawn!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 AM

253 posts, read 228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Is it normal to be irritated by a lot of noise that interferes with your sleep? Yes, it is.

Is it rude to make a lot of noise while living in an apartment building? Yes it is.

Is there anything you can do about it? No there isn't.

Is there anything the landlord can do about it? Probably not. It is not your landlord's job to referee between squabbling tenants.

Options are limited. Accept it and learn to tune it out. Wear earplugs. Move. If you expect the world to change to suit you, you are condemning yourself to a lifetime of disappointment.
I'm sure this isn't what you were hoping for, but Yes you are expecting too much. These are the trials of apartment living. Have you tried talking to this noisy man upstairs?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Have you tried discussing this noise with your upstairs neighbor??

Or....a fan running while you sleep...or ear plugs?

You'll simply have to put up with it until you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting