U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:47 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,364,408 times

Advertisements

My neighbor's dog barks CONSTANTLY!!! I don't know what else to do. One night it barked for 8 HOURS STRAIGHT WITHOUT STOPPING! I have called the Humane Society and it still barks ALL THE TIME. I also called the cops because it was even barking at midnight. I even sometimes hear my other neighbors screaming "SHUT UP" at this dog. Sometimes I have to turn up my TV thinking I won't hear it but that doesn't work. I even turn on a fan and an air purifier to try to block out the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM

3,457 posts, read 16,661,326 times
Try talking to the neighbor and see what's the casue. Sounds like they leave the dog outside and it wants to be inside. Be nice and NON confrontational and try to work it out.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:15 PM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Seriously, are the owners hearing impaired?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 AM

8,734 posts, read 6,172,701 times
have you talked to the rest of the neighbors? if you all go talk to the owner of the dog, it won't look like you're just the only one 'picking' on them...

Old 08-16-2009, 05:04 AM

2,256 posts, read 5,901,941 times
Some towns have ordinances about dogs barking as part of "disturbing the peace" laws. Might want to check it out.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:47 AM

3,844 posts, read 5,103,670 times
I know you want a peaceful resolution, but don't look for one. You and your neighbors are suffering from a problem that you did not cause, and the dog owner can prevent it, but won't. You must take legal action, but before doing so, get your ducks in a row. Make sure there is an ordinance prohibiting excessive nuisance noise; make video or audio tape of the barking; recruit the other neighbors; keep a written, detailed log of the barking; and notify the offending owner in writing. Be brief, and only state the facts. I know it sounds like a lot of BS to justify your position, but you've got to do it. Trust me.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 AM

836 posts, read 2,922,892 times
Wow such a sad situation for this dog.. It is barking because it doesn't like the outside and it seems to be wanting some attention.. all anyone can do it yell at it..(understandably of course). If your in the county they usually don't enforce these ordinances.. sometimes city ordinances are failures too.
But before going into a bunch of hoopla legal action that will more than likely be a waste of your time. I would try and talk with the neighbors first..maybe ask them to get the dog a bark collar or leaving a back light on for it or bringing it inside during the night. It is evident that some people don't care at all about their animals once left outside but calling the ASPCA or cops won't help anything specially if they are feeding and taking care of the dog. If you have a lease or community Codes, Covenants, and Restrictions (CC&R's), review them for provisions on noises and your right to "quiet" or "peaceful enjoyment" of your home. If you rent or live in an HOA community, call them and explain the problem. Try technology and remain anonymous..Mount a Guardian Bark Control box outside point it in the direction of the dog it sends a untra sonic boom only animals can hear.. good up to 50 feet..(looks like a bird house) price runs from 40-60 bucks at walmart. You can also get the Super Bark Free Outdoor training device (which works great!!) at walmart looks like a big horn it is $54.88. These things may help.. I would not go through all the legal crap until I knew nothing else worked.. it isn't the dogs fault, they don't know any better.. it is the owners fault for not dealing with this problem.

A Nutshell Description of the Most Common Types of Barking Laws
The two most common types of "anti-barking" laws are the multiple-household laws and the consecutive-disruption ordinances.
The Multiple Household Laws:
The multiple-household law is the catch-22 of animal control ordinances. According to that set of laws, the barking of your neighbor's dog is only deemed to be illegal after the case goes to court and a judge rules that it is so. The catch is that the court will not agree to hear your case unless you are first able to persuade some of the people from the neighboring households to join you in pursuing a legal case that is sure to be as contentious and upsetting as it is long and drawn-out.
But precious few people want to get involved in a big legal battle. So try as you may, the neighbors will almost never sign on for a thing like that. And that's the end of it, as the authorities deny you legal protection based on how your neighbors choose to behave.
Imagine a parallel situation in which someone repeatedly burglarizes your home. But when you turn to the police for help, they refuse to arrest the culprit, because after checking with your neighbors, the cops learned that the people who live in the houses around yours don't care if you get ripped off or not. And based on that, the authorities then conclude that the thief should be allowed to victimize you all he wants, and that, indeed, they will arrest you if you are too zealous in trying to stop him.
That would make no sense at all, of course, yet that is the essence of the multiple household laws, which are the only criminal ordinances in existence that require more than one complainant to come forward before law enforcement will agree to take action.

Last edited by wolfeyes; 08-16-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-16-2009, 11:27 AM

15,709 posts, read 22,756,161 times
Heres what you do, tonight when he barks non-stop, walk over
either let him off his leash or out of the yard, hopefully he
wont follow you back home, then call the spca to pick him up.

Sometimes you've got to get creative in your thinking, any owner
who allows that day in and day out doesn't care about the dog
or the barking nuisance factor.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:05 PM

3,844 posts, read 5,103,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Heres what you do, tonight when he barks non-stop, walk over
either let him off his leash or out of the yard, hopefully he
wont follow you back home, then call the spca to pick him up.

Sometimes you've got to get creative in your thinking, any owner
who allows that day in and day out doesn't care about the dog
or the barking nuisance factor.
Exactly!!! Reps to you.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:25 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
We had to make our dog live outside and he barked himself barkless. We tried EVERYTHING. The dog won and he got to live in the house...LOL

But I have had other dogs that just get used to it. Try giving him a couple toys. That worked for every dog except the insane one we had...He was a lab and just could not stand to be alone. We walked him we played with him and we let him run around in the yard. Total love addict. LOL

The dog had seizures so my parent did not want to put a shock collar on him or anything. But I have seen those cruel things break a stubborn dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or