Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:51 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my apt for over 14 years and need new carpet and paint badly. They say they will do it, but I will have to move everything out of my place so they can do this, at my expense. Well, it costs $$$ to hire a couple of people to move it all out, pay for a rental truck for 1 or 2 days, and then have them move it back in.

At what point is it the landlord's obligation to take care of basic needs like replacement carpet without my having to pay for any of this? I thought they had to paint every 5 years or so???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM

30 posts, read 173,373 times
There's no requirement for the landlord to paint or replace carpet at any particular interval. If you want it done, you'll have to live with it. How do you expect them to do it if you don't move your stuff out?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I know of no laws that state a landlord must paint and carpet. However, after 14 years I can understand why you would hope for this to be done. And I think it's great that your landlord is willing.

Can you pack up your apartment other than the furniture and move it to storage? I know painters can work around furniture. And I believe carpet layers will move furniture also unless it is something excessive. The problem is all the other things in the house, including the kitchen if it is to be painted. The cupboards would have to be cleared out. And you would probably have to stay somewhere else for the duration of the job because everything is covered and taped. And then you might want to have the locks rekeyed if the keys were given out to the workers.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
My LL did recarpet my apartment. I had a neighboring apartment
vacating, so after they left we moved our things into the vacated
apartment the night before the carpet was to be replaced, then
moved our things back in after the job was completed, worked
out beautifully.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
I've had apartments painted and recarpeted with tenants still in the unit. It's not convieniet or easy. the carpet people moved the furniture, the tenant had to get everything else out of the way. they stacked stuff on the beds and furniture. it was a mess for a couple days. the painters came in first and painted around the furniture. the carpet people moved everything as they went room to room. it can be done. Ask the LL. it may cost more to do an occupied apartment. offer to pay the differance, it's got to be cheaper than moving everything out.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:47 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
I've worked in a complex where tenants had been living for several years,
wanted the apartment repainted, also carpert cleaning, was in the lease.
The tenant moved as much as possible to the center of the rooms,
then the painters threw coverings over everthing, took a couple of days.
The carpet guys went back when the furniture was inplace and steam cleaned
all the open area. Happy tenants.

Last edited by virgode; 08-22-2009 at 12:47 AM.. Reason: pghing

Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,445 times
Can you rent a PODS unit and move some of the stuff yourself then pay movers just to move heavy items? You may see some cost savings in comparison to renting a truck??

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
14 Years your living there, just paint and carpet yourself, what is the big problem?
It isnt the LL responsibility to paint it......14 years, now you want a paintjob???

Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I know of no laws that state a landlord must paint and carpet. However, after 14 years I can understand why you would hope for this to be done. And I think it's great that your landlord is willing.

Can you pack up your apartment other than the furniture and move it to storage? I know painters can work around furniture. And I believe carpet layers will move furniture also unless it is something excessive. The problem is all the other things in the house, including the kitchen if it is to be painted. The cupboards would have to be cleared out. And you would probably have to stay somewhere else for the duration of the job because everything is covered and taped. And then you might want to have the locks rekeyed if the keys were given out to the workers.
Why would the cupboards have to be cleared to paint kitchen walls? I've painted my kitchens many times over the years, and never had to do anything other than stashing things from the counter into the cubboards or fridge.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
14 Years your living there, just paint and carpet yourself, what is the big problem?
It isnt the LL responsibility to paint it......14 years, now you want a paintjob???
I would paint on my own, but I'd never spend my own money to make a material improvement to a rental such as new carpeting.

Most leases state something about the unit being in a livable condition, and if the carpeting is typical low end carpeting as is put in most rentals, after 14 years it's thread bare and has holes even if the tenant took very good care of it, and is very possibly a trip hazard. That leave the landlord open to liability.

It seems to me that a landlord would be bending over backwards to take care of a good, long term tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting