U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
Unhappy Need help. Ceiling collapsed while sleeping and got banged up.

I rent an apartment in Brooklyn NY, I pay on time every month ($1,350.00) I signed a lease for one year as well. After the first week when it rained i had to call the landlord and tell them the bedroom and kitchen were leaking. They assured me they would fix this and have been here at least 4 times. But everytime it would still leak. Last month the contractor told me that he found the problem , It did not leak for about a month. I was also told that after the cieling dried out he would fix it. I did take pictures of the cieling as well as took out renters insuance due to being worried three weeks have past and it looks worse but not leaking. Over the weekend during the rain storm while sleeping at 4 am it gave way on top of me about 25 pound chunk. I jumped out of bed with water falling everywhere and fell again on the water. I was very upset and called the landlord and was told "it's 4am what do you want me to do I will take care of it in the afternoon. " Later on after not sleeping anymore i started to get pain in my back and neck but i believe it hit me in the head, not sure exactly. My wife a nyc police officer was in the bed and was not injured at all but upset. At 2 pm the landlord came to my house but entered through the illegal basement apartment and into my yard wghere i hold the lease to .My landlord ownes a big real estate company and bu=y law are not allowed to own to many houses so they have their children own them also and rent them out. I never met the son and asked who are you and what are you doing in my yard. I never met him. The real Estate who is his parents signed the lease not him. So this is the first time meeting him. He explained i am (his name) your landlord. I said "who" he replied (his name) i am your f---king landlord . Let alone knowing he is young i let it go and saw his father entering the yard through the illegal basement apartment as well. I said hello and he asked to see the damage,. I showed him and he said" i can;t believe this happen again, we will fix it. " I then asked who's insurrance do i go to for the damage of my belongings. My renters or yours. Thats when the son-my landlord- went crazy cursed me out said i'm going to kill you come outside in the street. I said no and asked them to leave. He went on this way accused me of being a drug addict screaming in the street as well as said i hope this place burns to the ground. I finally went back inside and called my wife since she is a an officer. I was told to go press harrasment against him and i did. I then kept calling to find out what to do , The contractor came and apologized and said he will take care of it and just left.... A week later my bedroom stays the same where no tarp and the rain comes in as well as the air conditioners water contiues to come in from upstairs.I called 311 and made a complaint of this at this time. And i had witnesses toi what happen since 4 am such as the other tenants that live upstairs. The smell is the worst here and smells like a dead body. Later on less then 12 hours from the accident I started feeling worse and had no choice but to have EMS bring me to a hospital. I was perscribed some medicine and told to see a doctor. I at this tiome took the doctors advice and hired a lawyer after many wanted the case. They also found me a trauma doctor where i feel I live at now. My spine they say may have slipped at the disk and they said they can feel it. I am awaiting the xrays. I also have gone and filed a 75g civil suit in housing court and had a seperate court date for the inspectors from court to look at my house and structure. I have been reading my lease and i paid a $1,350.00 finders fee to a real estate that owns my house and says I am not supposed to, Also says I do not pay the gas and they told me I had to. Last they never signed the ryder but I did. And the ryder conflicts everything the lease says I am allowed to do. Also says I cannot have bikes in the elevators, I do not have elevators in this private house.
Well a week later it poured outside and inside my house do to no tarp or work done yet. The landlord will not call me back nor answer the phone. I have no bedroom and sleep in my yard under a big awning. Not very fair. The pain in my back and shoulder is to the point I want o cry but I am a man who needs to suck it up. I was perscribed a cane to walk with but trip over it and almost fell a few times so I am not using that now. Please help me what do I do.
I recently learned a few things from the assemblymans office that this is illegal and my landlord should be arrested, but they are rich and don't care.
Also that the illegal basement apartment where my fuse box is , is illegal. Sometimes i have to wait hours or even to the next night to have the woman downstairs flip the switch.
The woman downstairs works for the real estate company and has been best friends for 15 years and since she works a side job with the NEW YORK JETS, she brings the landlords family all the time and they are close.
There is a camera system recording the house and the illgal basement is the only one beside the landlord that has a screen to view everything we do and the tenant upstairs.
Dob and HPV has put citations out to have this fixed asap and they don't care. I even asked my landlord to break the lease and let me just go and they said NOOOO what do i do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,649,776 times
Oy...I really wanted to read about your ceiling falling in, but I can't slog through that thing with no paragraphing. Sorry, hope you're not injured too badly.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 PM

711 posts, read 1,240,859 times
I can't provide any legal advice, but I think after reading your story I can tell you 2 things...

1. Sorry for your injury
2. Enjoy your $75,000

Old 08-29-2009, 08:35 AM

21,124 posts, read 23,926,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5106 View Post
I at this tiome took the doctors advice and hired a lawyer after many wanted the case.
I don't understand your question - you hired a lawyer and resolving this is what you're paying him to do! Don't go trying to make separate deals with the landlord - your attorney should be doing all the talking for you right now. Good luck.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:21 PM

880 posts, read 1,033,438 times
Your wife should hopefully have some communications skills. You should get her to rewrite this post.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 PM

14,223 posts, read 19,318,459 times
You have a lawyer, talk to him and take his advice. Ask him for his assistance getting out of this lease, the place is uninhabitable. Then work with him to sue the landlord to recover your damages. File a claim against your apartment insurance for the items it covers.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:09 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,166,216 times
I only read up to where you mention a law about how many apartments he can own. Maybe you should rewrite this and stick to the facts related to the ceiling collapsing. What is it you need help with?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:17 PM

11,151 posts, read 9,141,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5106 View Post
I have no bedroom and sleep in my yard under a big awning.
You don't have a living room or other room not affected by the fallen ceiling where you could sleep?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:20 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,572,738 times
Ask the attorney about you and your wife being able to move to temporary quarters at the landlord's expense. I'm not sure how that works in your area but if the attny is worth a dollar, they will know.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM

11,996 posts, read 11,732,906 times
Besides filling suit, what has your attorney done to help you?

You purchased renters insurance, these circumstances are what the insurance is intended for.
Your entitled to hotel accommodations if uninhabitable.

Contact Code Enforcement, have them declare the apartment uninhabitable with an inspection,
in addition the LL will be given a time frame to complete repairs or pay fines.
Do Not give the LL heads up
that you called Code for inspection, hes had plenty of time to do repairs,
not to mention, you do have harassment suit against him, keep the contact to a minimum.

This is the treatment NYC police officer living on your premises gets?
You would think that would be an assest to have an officer in the building.

Last edited by virgode; 08-29-2009 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting