Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,247 times

Advertisements

I live on the third floor of an apt and my downstairs neighbors have their stereo with some type of large loud speakers on all the time morning, noon, and night. It vibrates the floor and walls and is very annoying. I have complained to the manager, who went over and told him to turn it down. It never went down, so the manager told me to call the Police from now on. I have, but the tenants do not answer the door. I knocked myself and wanted to give them a note about how it bothered me and please turn it down. They will not answer the door, so I put it under the door. I did make a copy of the note. I went back to the manager a week later and he said he would not go over there again and that I need to write a letter stating the complaint and give it to him in addition to the note I gave them. He said he plans on evicting the tenant. The leaseholder there is allowing three other people to live there who are not on the lease. I know it takes 30 days to evict the leaseholder, but what about the other tenants who are not even supposed to be in a one bedroom and are not on the lease? I have a signed lease with the usual paragraph regarding the right to quiet enjoyment. I want to also state that this is a coop apartment and not run by a usual management company. There is one manager and an assistant manager, then a board. It is a housing coop and some of the tenants are members while tenants like me are on section 8. I am on disability and used to work. I have never lived in an apartment with such noise. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,366,882 times
If they are not on the lease they should not be allowed there at all. Any normal company would not want them there due to possible legal issues, etc...

Old 09-04-2009, 09:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
When the tenant/leaseholder is evicted, the people living there illegally/not on the lease will also be out at the same time. I guess you'll just have to wait until the eviction process goes through.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:25 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
The manager was right in telling you not to approach your neighbors.

He plans to use your letter to the other tenant in court, to show that
they were disturbing the peace, any police reports he can acquire will
also serve well in court in his eviction case.

Having any occupants other than those listed on the lease for a period
other than 2 wks is a violation too.

Keep making police reports, don't worry about whether or not they answer
their door, you may not be the only tenant making complaints.

With the popularity of ipods, blasting their stereo at any hour is crazy,
unless its party central. Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I live on the third floor of an apt and my downstairs neighbors have their stereo with some type of large loud speakers on all the time morning, noon, and night. It vibrates the floor and walls and is very annoying. I have complained to the manager, who went over and told him to turn it down. It never went down, so the manager told me to call the Police from now on. I have, but the tenants do not answer the door. I knocked myself and wanted to give them a note about how it bothered me and please turn it down. They will not answer the door, so I put it under the door. I did make a copy of the note. I went back to the manager a week later and he said he would not go over there again and that I need to write a letter stating the complaint and give it to him in addition to the note I gave them. He said he plans on evicting the tenant. The leaseholder there is allowing three other people to live there who are not on the lease. I know it takes 30 days to evict the leaseholder, but what about the other tenants who are not even supposed to be in a one bedroom and are not on the lease? I have a signed lease with the usual paragraph regarding the right to quiet enjoyment. I want to also state that this is a coop apartment and not run by a usual management company. There is one manager and an assistant manager, then a board. It is a housing coop and some of the tenants are members while tenants like me are on section 8. I am on disability and used to work. I have never lived in an apartment with such noise. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by virgode; 09-04-2009 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: pghing

Old 09-05-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The manager was right in telling you not to approach your neighbors.

He plans to use your letter to the other tenant in court, to show that
they were disturbing the peace, any police reports he can acquire will
also serve well in court in his eviction case.

Having any occupants other than those listed on the lease for a period
other than 2 wks is a violation too.

Keep making police reports, don't worry about whether or not they answer
their door, you may not be the only tenant making complaints.

With the popularity of ipods, blasting their stereo at any hour is crazy,
unless its party central. Good Luck
Thanks. Last night until 4 a.m. they were playing the stereo and my bed was shaking. I thought I would go crazy. I called the Police and they still kept it on. This morning I called the rental office again and complained. I can't take much more of this. Also there were people slamming the door and yelling at all hours. I am going to also call legal aid if the management does not do anything soon.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
It will be over soon since you called the cops. Your LL just needed the cop to witness it. Everytime it vibrates just grin and know they will be gone. Maybe ask your LL is any other unit is vacant for these 30days so you can sleep? I had to deal with this too. It SUCKS bun buns!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Aside from calling the police, theres not much that can be done.
Unless of course theres something illegal going on behind those doors,
and the reason they don't answer. If The LL confided hes evicting,
it shouldn't be much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Thanks. Last night until 4 a.m. they were playing the stereo and my bed was shaking. I thought I would go crazy. I called the Police and they still kept it on. This morning I called the rental office again and complained. I can't take much more of this. Also there were people slamming the door and yelling at all hours. I am going to also call legal aid if the management does not do anything soon.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times
I am so sorry. That is very stressful. I can't believe they did not answer the door for the police. I would think then the police would have a way of doing something cause that could be a sign for the police something may be going on like illegal but who knows. I hope that they are out very soon. I wish people in general were more considerate the world would be a better place.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times
They were probably high

Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 PM

I now call them "The Vibrators!" I ran into the lease holder guy and he only speaks Spanish, but he was basically telling me that he is going crazy with the cops over all the time, the manager very angry with him and me bugging him with my notes for quiet. He says he knows nothing about the noise and it is not his noise etc.! I can't believe this guy! So I ask him to come upstairs in my apt to witness the continuous vibrations and thumping. He hears it, but then he shows me his apt speakers and they are off, so I am a bit confused, but he has the other two guys living in the back rooms where most of it is coming from under my bedroom, which he did not show me! His speakers are these huge ass club speakers with all kinds of equipment! I mean at least four feet high! I am wondering what idiot would play that mess in a small apt! So then his so called roommate walks in and tries to act as if he has no idea what I am talking about and he says he does not speak English! There is someone under him but he says he hears nothing, so it cannot be those tenants. Anyway, I am taking sleeping pills. For some odd reason the ear plugs I have make the vibrating and bass sound louder and more pronounced!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting