U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
Default help with canceling contracts

i've recently rented a side-by-side house, and found some complications with my next door neighbors. they are rude, noisy, and mean. would it be possible to cancel my contract and get my deposit money back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,676,925 times
IMO not likely NfH arent really a reason to break a lease

Old 09-02-2009, 08:09 PM

1,633 posts, read 2,735,887 times
Nancy, have you talked with your landlord or property manager about the issue? I'd be willing to be there's something the neighbor's lease about them keeping quiet, not disturbing the peace, etc.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:19 AM

2,788 posts, read 3,014,613 times
I don't think so. In the past I rented a place that had similar. The police were even out many times. I wanted to move and they would not allow it other then if I broke the lease. What a nightmare it was and they did not even kick the bad tenant out but did not allow him to renew. I would talk to the LL and if at bad hours you could call the police.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM

21,131 posts, read 24,046,109 times
You can't complain about "rude" and "mean" as that's subjective but you should, as EricBoyd has pointed out, bring the noise to the attention of your landlord/property manager before you do anything else.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM

15,342 posts, read 19,686,625 times
No you have no right. You can file a complain about the noise to the police, but nowhere you can file a complain about being mean or rude...it is all person, what you think is rude might not be rude in the eye of some one else....I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is reality.

Always check the street a couple of different times to see who lives there and what to expect. You can easily have a dog next door which is kept in the yard and barks all the time or neighbors who have parties every evening.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:14 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,696,583 times
Even a dog has to stay quiet with in reason that is, but you had better not break that lease or it could hinder you greatly in the seeking and getting into another unit if the current LL puts a bad name for you as a reference.
Good luck are you month to month or a year contract?

Old 09-03-2009, 03:36 PM

11,996 posts, read 11,769,519 times
No one ever forces you to remain anywhere, after addressing your LL,
if no remedy, break your lease, however it will not come without a price,
read your lease to see what it says about early termination.
Its also possible the Landlord can take you to court.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:48 AM

7,983 posts, read 4,997,079 times
Look over your contract. What does it say about breaking your lease? Does it give any stipulations? Have you talked to the landlords about the noise, yet? Have you been nice to them so that they will be nice back to you? Sometimes, taking a step toward developing a relationship with them (cupcakes, etc.), can work wonders. If you're really lucky, you can develop a friendly enough relationship to allow you to work with them on the noise control. An unfortunate side of having neighbors is that some simply have no concept of how inconvenient their noise and activities can be to others. If you haven't played the "good, kind and friendly neighbor" approach, I strongly encourage you to do so. In the meantime, I would keep in touch with your landlord....talk to them, see if they have any other "quieter" properties available....but I sure would try the friendly approach too.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:41 AM

2,788 posts, read 3,014,613 times
Can you talk to them? I had a neighbor who blared his music. So I went downstairs and just explained my floor was vibrating. He was so nice about it and from that point on he was better and we became friends. Now if these people won't if it is late hours you can call the police but even during normal I would complain to the landlord or managment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting