U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:02 PM

753 posts, read 1,442,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Okay, just so I'm sure I'm got this right: if the choices are "get evicted" or "don't get evicted', I should go with "don't get evicted"?
All right, got it! Good idea!

What about felonies? Bankruptcies? Those are still okay, right?

I think those are bad too!

I posted this because like 2 days ago someone on here asked about it and then just yesterday someone I know got evicted. Some people really don't know they should move out before they end up in front of the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM

42,635 posts, read 46,451,578 times
In most places once they file eviction you have 30 days and it does not always get on your record unless its a court of record which is pretty rare really.Most justice sourts and city courts are not cvourts of record because they have no court reporter which is why you have a automatiuc appeal if you pay teh filign fee on any case they decide.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM

14,080 posts, read 26,034,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
In most places once they file eviction you have 30 days and it does not always get on your record unless its a court of record which is pretty rare really.Most justice sourts and city courts are not cvourts of record because they have no court reporter which is why you have a automatiuc appeal if you pay teh filign fee on any case they decide.
It must vary from State to State...

I've had people come back to me because I had evicted them and they were unable to rent a "Decent" place.

It doesn't happen often, but when I do evict... it shows up on the Apartment Association's tenant screening check.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM

5,511 posts, read 10,727,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wow, our evictions must be pretty fast then, on average. In Idaho, you file a 3 day notice, then go for a speedy courty date, which is between 5 and 12 days out, then its a day or two for the sheriff. So, only about 3 weeks max, and usually closer to 2 weeks.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:43 PM

12,047 posts, read 12,463,393 times
6 wks to 2mon from notice to eviction in Delaware. Courts are slow.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM

14,080 posts, read 26,034,948 times
As mentioned, I've had people I evicted contact me about making it "Right" with me because they found it impossible to find someone willing to rent to them...

On one occasion, 5 years after the eviction, my former Tenant contacted me and said she knows I have a judgement against her for $800 in unpaid rent from the time of the eviction... she said she found someone that would rent from her if I would say she paid her judgement off... she offered payments of $20 per month...

I went one better... I told her I would accept $400 cash or money order plus the nominal fee to record a Satisfaction of Judgement... never heard from her again

Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 AM

15,660 posts, read 20,876,036 times
^^^ Very smart! $ 20.- a month...

People who get evicted even if the court system works fast...they are already late on rental payments so if you add that up, nobody can say they didn't know and didn't have a chance to respond.

I'm waiting what is going to happen with one of my rentals....the family asked me last month if they could pay one week later since the husband switched jobs and had now a better paid job but the pay check came later... I agreed and late fees and interest would be on top of the amount...After 3 days I got an email if they could pay on the 11th!!! I agreed that this was the last psotponed date (you have to show some compession) and when i went to pick it up they told me they had a hard time but they had the rent amount but not the late fees which they would pay this week...So at least I had the full monthly rent and to me that was better than leaving with nothing (they knew that I won't take a partial rent amount)...I told them that in like less than 3 weeks the new rent has to be paid and this week the late fees...So I wonder what will happen this Friday and I wonder if they will have the rent for next month...their lease last only 4 more months..
Btw the carpet looked awful,, all drink spills from their little child and I told them it needs to be taken care off...all things taken in cosideration I'm not going to wait more time on late rent but I will go straight to court.
I run his dr. license again and he skipped a court date for unpaid tickets and his dr. licence is revoked...so to me it will be hard for him to get to work or he is driving uninsured, which makes me mad like hell! Both work in different parts of town so he isn't going to walk....

Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,917,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
^^^ Very smart! $ 20.- a month...

People who get evicted even if the court system works fast...they are already late on rental payments so if you add that up, nobody can say they didn't know and didn't have a chance to respond.

I'm waiting what is going to happen with one of my rentals....the family asked me last month if they could pay one week later since the husband switched jobs and had now a better paid job but the pay check came later... I agreed and late fees and interest would be on top of the amount...After 3 days I got an email if they could pay on the 11th!!! I agreed that this was the last psotponed date (you have to show some compession) and when i went to pick it up they told me they had a hard time but they had the rent amount but not the late fees which they would pay this week...So at least I had the full monthly rent and to me that was better than leaving with nothing (they knew that I won't take a partial rent amount)...I told them that in like less than 3 weeks the new rent has to be paid and this week the late fees...So I wonder what will happen this Friday and I wonder if they will have the rent for next month...their lease last only 4 more months..
Btw the carpet looked awful,, all drink spills from their little child and I told them it needs to be taken care off...all things taken in cosideration I'm not going to wait more time on late rent but I will go straight to court.
I run his dr. license again and he skipped a court date for unpaid tickets and his dr. licence is revoked...so to me it will be hard for him to get to work or he is driving uninsured, which makes me mad like hell! Both work in different parts of town so he isn't going to walk....
Boy, I can't see this one ending very good. I feel for you but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Old 09-16-2009, 12:28 PM

15,660 posts, read 20,876,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Boy, I can't see this one ending very good. I feel for you but you gotta do what you gotta do!
Me neither, but the good part is, I'm prepared.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:34 PM

3,844 posts, read 8,277,203 times
I will never ever rent to anyone who has been evicted. Rather let the unit sit vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting