Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:53 PM

15 posts, read 31,029 times

Advertisements

We just moved in yesterday to our rental and the paint the landlord tried to paint or touchup and there is clearly two different color paints on the wall. When we looked at the place, this wasnt the case. It looks like they used the wrong color for their spot touchups. Is there anything I can ask for from the landlord to fix this problem. It looks really weird on the walls. Also the place was not that clean when moving in. What can be done to get the landlord to fix these problems.

Basically , we brought it up and he said a new paint estimate is 2000 dollars and he wasnt going to do that. Is there anything that says he must fix this hideous look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboater View Post
and there is clearly two different color paints on the wall...
How much less than the other places you looked at does this one cost?
Were they ready when you were?
How long do you expect to be there?

If you're paying premium rent and really plan to stay put for several years...
and chose this place in real preference to others you could have taken...
then make sure the LL understands these things and that you expect better.

If he believes you... he'll fix it.
If not... he'll quote you the "happy clause"

Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Cheapskate owner - I'm telling you this will never change. Are you renting from the owner or a property management company?

Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,435 times
Take photos with date/time stamp of the bad paint job and the dirty place. When you move out you will have the evidence that you did not do this to the place.

Your LL knows the color does not match and doesn't care else would of gotten a better color match in the first place. If it is really horribly bad maybe you could ask the LL to pay for the paint and you could paint it yourself if he is agreeable.

Not clean? How bad is it? Can you physical live there in that condition or is it preventing you from staying there until it is cleaned out and the rubbish etc is removed? If you are living there now and just have to do the cleaning yourself you should write a letter to the LL of the same and advised that you have taken photos and that you will be leaving the property in the same condition as when you moved in.

It sounds like you have a cheap-sake LL, hopefully it's not too long of a lease!

Old 04-02-2013, 06:25 AM

the place is 2100/ month in downtown denver. I have offered to paint it provided he gets the paint. I told him for the price we pay this should not even happen.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
[quote=steamboater;28939517]
the place is 2100/ month in downtown denver.
Is that expensive or about par for that size a place in downtown Denver?

Quote:
I have offered to paint it provided he gets the paint.
No LL with any sense (no even a cheap one) allows a tenant to paint.

Quote:
I told him for the price we pay this should not even happen.
Did that achieve any result?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:01 AM

[quote=MrRational;28939761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboater View Post
the place is 2100/ month in downtown denver.
Is that expensive or about par for that size a place in downtown Denver?

It is pretty nice condo. The paint does not matchup with overall feel of the place. I cant believe I even have to argue with him to fix it.

No LL with any sense (no even a cheap one) allows a tenant to paint.

Its not rocket science, have done it before, but understand most people arent capable.

Did that achieve any result?
No, said it is too spendy to have done.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
$2K to repaint an apartment? Is this a 4BR penthouse?

It's too bad that you signed on the dotted line before the "painting" and "cleaning" was done but you did and there's really nothing you can do about it now as fixing either of these issues can't be legally enforced. As poster back2M suggested, take plenty of dated photographs particularly of the paint job so that when the time comes for the return of your security deposit you'll have evidence of the state the place was in upon move-in. With this sort of a landlord, be sure to put every request for any sort of repairs or maintenance in writing to protect yourself in the event this ends up a real mess and in court.

Unfortunately I've been in court a few times on landlord/tenant issues and proper documentation is key to prevailing.

PS: Carefully read both your lease and your state's landlord tenant laws (which you'll probably find linked on the first "sticky" on this forum).

Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM

ok thank you, will document everything, really would like to have matching paint for such a nice condo. Kind of a drag to pay that much and not have it presentable to people.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,516,810 times
Actually some landlords do allow tenants to paint. I'm not one of them but friend of mine have had one. Allowed them to take the cost of a 5 gallon bucket of paint out of the rent and paint it.

Since I always provide my rental freshly painted if needed and with walls washed if not, I don't allow painting. Any wear and tear comes from the tenant.

Anyway, my dad touched up a few spots in their house, with the exact paint it was originally painted with, and the spots dried a totally different shade due to fading of the original paint.

Didn't you do a move in walkthrough with the landlord? I do one with my tenants and have a pretty lengthy form to check off the condition of everything, we both sign it. I don't just hand them the keys and leave, or give them the keys anywhere other then in the house.

It can take me 2-3 hours to do a really good walkthrough. Thats with discussing every nuance of the house, whats been done and how to treat things, how things work and how to clean things. It is a house, I have to go through the care of the outside and outbuildings too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting