U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 47,245 times

Advertisements

I just bought a house and am moving out of the apartment that I have rented for 5 years. Being young, male and single, well, let's just say the apartment isn't in very "good" shape after all these years. . It's pretty dirty and messy everywhere and the carpet seems to be in wortheless form thanks to my dog and cat.

So my question is, after renting the same apartment for so long, am I still obliged for these kind of "wear and tears"? Supposely the carpet needs to be changed, the wall needs to be repainted, the curtains need to be replaced, and the bathroom/kitchen etc need some serious cleaning/makeovers, can I assume that it's all been "paid for" during my 5 years of rent pay? Can I just do some basic cleaning and leave?

BTW when I rented the apartment I only had to pay a pet deposit which is not refundable.

Also I don't want to take any old furniture with me, and being on the 4th floor it's a big PITA to dispose them. What's your advice on the handling of these things? Last time I called some junk mover and they quoted me something like $500. Is it normal for this kind of service?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 72,448 times
Well the least you can do is get rid of the belongings in the apartment and if you don't want to clean hire a service to clean. But yeah I think you are obligated to leave it clean. All light fixtures need to be cleaned, dust all wood, baseboards, clean bathrooms and kitchen. Don't worry about the carpet since it will need to be replaced...expect to get a bill for some of the things that need to be done. God forbid the floor under the carpet needs to be replaced or something. And hopefully you treat your own place better.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,104,681 times
can I assume that it's all been "paid for" during my 5 years of rent pay?

NO rent is to live there right

Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,104,681 times
Startover you said
On 9/2/08 I'm relatively new to Houston (been living here for a year)
On 9/23/09 I just bought a house and am moving out of the apartment that I have rented for 5 years
looks like funny math to me

Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,072,249 times
The apartment needs to be in as clean of a condition as it was when you moved in 5 yrs ago.
Normal wear and tear applys to normal carpet wear, paint fade, marks on the floor from sitting furniture, everday normal use, etc.
If you had pets it might not be as clean as it was when you moved in and it may have some pet odor.
Seeing as how you have been there 5 yrs makes me think you are a responsible person who didn't trash the place and was a good tenant. But as far as cleanliness you are responsible for leaving it as clean as you found it.
Five years of rent doesn't pay for anything other than the rent and doesn't excuse you from any other costs the LL might have to pay to get the place back in shape to rent again beyond normal wear and tear.
If you moved the furniture in, it is your obligation to move it out when you leave or the LL can charge you for disposing of it.
You signed a contract/lease I presume. Longevity doesn't negate the wording of said contract/lease.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM

8,043 posts, read 23,700,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startover View Post
I just bought a house and am moving out of the apartment that I have rented for 5 years. Being young, male and single, well, let's just say the apartment isn't in very "good" shape after all these years. . It's pretty dirty and messy everywhere and the carpet seems to be in wortheless form thanks to my dog and cat.

So my question is, after renting the same apartment for so long, am I still obliged for these kind of "wear and tears"? Supposely the carpet needs to be changed, the wall needs to be repainted, the curtains need to be replaced, and the bathroom/kitchen etc need some serious cleaning/makeovers, can I assume that it's all been "paid for" during my 5 years of rent pay? Can I just do some basic cleaning and leave?

BTW when I rented the apartment I only had to pay a pet deposit which is not refundable.

Also I don't want to take any old furniture with me, and being on the 4th floor it's a big PITA to dispose them. What's your advice on the handling of these things? Last time I called some junk mover and they quoted me something like $500. Is it normal for this kind of service?

Thank you.
First off, you absolutely need to get rid of your old stuff. If it is a PITA for you, imagine how ticked off your LL will be to find the stuff there. Get some friends to come help you move and buy them all pizza and beer. Way cheaper than hiring someone.

Secondly, there is a world of difference between dirty and worn. Worn is totally normal and expected after 5 years. Dirty is never expected and not normal, and not OK. Your landlord should expect to need to paint and replace the carpets after 5 years. For the bathroom and kitchen, they may expect to need to do some recaulking and maybe replace the vinyl flooring (if it is vinyl, most cheap rentals are in my area). However, if they have to fill holes in the wall, that is damage, not wear. If they have to clean, that is not wear and tear. You would be expected to clean everything that doesn't need replaced. Mostly that is going to be a deep clean of the kitchen and bathroom(s) and cleaning the baseboards and light fixtures. If the walls need to be wiped down, you should do that too, even if they will have to be repainted.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,284,465 times
Uh oh. I haven't done any cleaning at all in at least 2 years (it's been a rough few years) and I am moving out in a few days.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Startover you said
On 9/23/09 I just bought a house and am moving out of the apartment that I have rented for 5 years
Ah, I see your point. He posted a year ago and said he had just moved to Galveston, so how come he is now asking about cleaning up an apartment in which he's resided for five years. Hmmm.

OK, startover, before anybody wastes any time replying to something which is actually quite obvious, what's the scoop here?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 47,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Startover you said

I'm speechless. Why on earth do you feel the need to investigate the post history under this account? Are there any trolling material posted at all among these posts?

If you must know what's going on, which I have absolutely no idea how it's any of your business btw, the person who posted the Galveston thread a year go is a friend of mine. I was at his house, and we discussed my current renting situation. He suggested that I should post on a forum for opinions, and Google showed this forum as one of the top results for renting discussions. He then realized that he once registered here, so he let me log on his account to post this thread, and by doing that I don't have to register myself.

I got some very nice advice from all the helpful people here. Thank you guys. As for you tworent, looks like you need to get a life to me.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM

52 posts, read 125,250 times
I have been living in apartments in diff places. Some LLs are good. Some are not. If I were in your position. I would have asked LL what is the minimum cleaning I have to do. Considering that you have been living so long, they might relaxed some cleaning requirements..like carpet. But at the least I would have removed furnitures (by advertising those furniture as free on craigslist and other boards), vacuumed the carpet, cleaned up bath and kitchen.
However considering the fact that you have pets, I am not sure if your apartment is in a OK condition. If some walls/cabinets are broken then I don't think LL will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or