Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,627 times

Advertisements

I placed a small claim law suit against an old landlord. And have court October 7th and need some info.

I got my first apartment last january. i paid 1500 all together for sequrity and first month rent. The first few nights were great... one night there was a knock on the dooor, the knock got louder and louder, turning to a slamming shaking door and someone yelling "open the fu*king door"... of course i didnt open the door i had no idea who would be at my door at 12am acting like this. about 5 min later everything was shut off in my apartment, tv phone, that they provided and all electricity. i then knew that it HAD to be my landloard, who else had access to all of that?. The next morning i woke up and there was an answer on the message machine from the landlords wife saying " sorry this isnt working out you need to get out as soon as possible".
i left and went to a job interview, when i came back from the interview ALL of my belongings were outside. I went to get into the apartment and the whole door knob had been changed, lock and everything... my puppy was still inside. they let me in the apartment to get my dog. i was so flustered wound up breaking my key in the ignition of my car and got stuck there!!! i called friends to come pick me up while waiting for a locksmith. the landlord then accused my friends of "pissing" on the floor, however that was mostlikely the dog that they wouldnt let me access for a good 30-40 min. screaming in my face calling me a dirtbag a ***** the whole 9 yards, this man doesnt know me! i lived there for 3 days, he then accused me of selling drugs and called the cops! the cops couldnt do anything so they left. and now basically i am suing for my 1500 back. is there anything else that i can sue for, and i need to know everything that i need for court! please help asap!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM

8 posts, read 18,062 times
Hmm all I got to say is two sides to a story.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
Sounds fishy, but I could definitely see some of the landlords out there doing all that. Are there other things you could sue for? Probably, but I'm not the one to ask about those things. You need to talk to a lawyer that is well versed in landlord/tenant law.

Thankfully noone ever tried that crap at my house at midnight, they'd be greated with the response "I'm willing and able to use deadly force to protect myself and my property, leave immediatly, the cops are on their way!"

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM

328 posts, read 885,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha0992 View Post
I placed a small claim law suit against an old landlord. And have court October 7th and need some info.

I got my first apartment last january. i paid 1500 all together for sequrity and first month rent. The first few nights were great... one night there was a knock on the dooor, the knock got louder and louder, turning to a slamming shaking door and someone yelling "open the fu*king door"... of course i didnt open the door i had no idea who would be at my door at 12am acting like this. about 5 min later everything was shut off in my apartment, tv phone, that they provided and all electricity. i then knew that it HAD to be my landloard, who else had access to all of that?. The next morning i woke up and there was an answer on the message machine from the landlords wife saying " sorry this isnt working out you need to get out as soon as possible".
i left and went to a job interview, when i came back from the interview ALL of my belongings were outside. I went to get into the apartment and the whole door knob had been changed, lock and everything... my puppy was still inside. they let me in the apartment to get my dog. i was so flustered wound up breaking my key in the ignition of my car and got stuck there!!! i called friends to come pick me up while waiting for a locksmith. the landlord then accused my friends of "pissing" on the floor, however that was mostlikely the dog that they wouldnt let me access for a good 30-40 min. screaming in my face calling me a dirtbag a ***** the whole 9 yards, this man doesnt know me! i lived there for 3 days, he then accused me of selling drugs and called the cops! the cops couldnt do anything so they left. and now basically i am suing for my 1500 back. is there anything else that i can sue for, and i need to know everything that i need for court! please help asap!!!
Your story does not make any sense. What did you do?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:46 PM

16 posts, read 257,758 times
Totally baffling. Biggest question to start with is,do you have a lease?

If you don't,then it's a matter of the judge judging who's telling the truth. That is NOT to say you aren't. But that's just what it comes down to-- combined with any paper work as proof of anything,anything at all.

If you have a lease,you're in good shape.
Of course you have a right to peacable living,and really,if things happened as stated,this stuff sounds like it falls under the catagory of criminal!-- assaultive behavior,breaking and entering,etc.

Yep,sounds like you need a lawyer. Most housing courts will provide an attorney if you can't afford one,and they will be your advocate under the law.
I would go to housing court asap,and preemptively ask them what is needed to wrap this up.

If you do not have a lease,did you get electricity turned on in your name for the apartment? gas? Some paperwork to establish it was your lawfully rented home,and when that was established.

I hope it works out for you,if nothing else it sounds like you and your puppy got out of a bad sitution there! Even if things are still bad,at least it's not the same.
One day at a time...

Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I would really like to hear the landlords version of the events.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 PM

16 posts, read 257,758 times
well,but that's not the question tho'.
What if the landlord is pulling a fast one,what if this,what if that?
The person is just asking for advice on how to build her case in what sounds like was a really bad situation.

That's just reality in apartments rented without a lease -- that something funny could possibly go on from the landlord,which is why leases are as important for the tenant as the landlord. Sometimes people forget that and feel it's all about the landlord's protection,but it's mutual protection.

If this is a sort of scam by the people who rent out,with no lease involved,all the landlord is out of is a new doorknob and lock,of which he probably has several ready for replacing. But a tenant would be out $100's more.

Yes,it is for sure bizarre! But - if there was no lease given,well I'm just saying there could be a reason for that.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,627 times
When i paid the landlord, i recieved an email from her stating what i have her for insurance, and for my first month rent and for the pet deposit. I still have that email.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:10 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha0992 View Post
When i paid the landlord, i recieved an email from her stating what i have her for insurance, and for my first month rent and for the pet deposit. I still have that email.
Do you have a police report from the landlord forcefully evicting you with a trial or anything?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:19 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
You need to provide more info....

Do you have a contract?
Did you fill out an application and if you did was everything filled out, true?
Do you have any past convictions, evictions, etc.?
Do you have a job and is it the same as when you applied for the home/apartment?
When your stuff was put outside and/or the person was yelling and cursing, did you call 911 or file a report later?
Do you have proof of your security deposit payment and did you pay first months rent?
Where the utilities in your name?

If the utilities were in your name, how can the LL turned them off if you had paid for them?...Something doesn't add up...so maybe you can explain so we can help you out.

I won 3 times in small claims court, but you can only win if you have evidence proving your case...or you will loose even more + the LL can counter sue you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting