Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 07:04 AM

2 posts, read 15,326 times

Advertisements

I paid first and lasts months rent when I first moved in that was in like may -- Now last month I paid my monthly rent really late into the month like september 28th 2009 minus 15 dollars then Im moving out on Oct 1st so I asked the landlord for my 370$ back and he said He doesnt want to because he said last mont h i missed 15 dollars so he doesnt have to give it to me.. shouldnt he give me my rant money back its not like i didnt pay first and last when moving in and i need last months rent so I can move into my new place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
First month's rent covered your first month. Last month's rent covers your last month. Why would the landlord owe you that money back?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
First month's rent covered your first month. Last month's rent covers your last month. Why would the landlord owe you that money back?
I think the OP is saying he paid last month up front and then paid his last month's rent again now in his last month.

As I followed it, your monthly rent is only $370. First of all, wow! Second of all, normally, if you had paid on the 28th, I would have said almost all of what you paid was toward late fees if your lease allows for them. However, you had already paid that particular month when you moved in, so technically it wasn't late, it was overpaid.

The LL does have the right to withhold any unpaid rent from that last month's deposit, and could probably get away with holding any unpaid late fees from previous months if you paid late PRIOR to the last month. But since the last month was paid at move in, no late fees can be charged for that particular month.

The question is, if you had already paid last month's rent up front, why did you pay for your last month's rent at all?

Did you not have a deposit? Are you sure you didn't pay first month and deposit, and not last month? If so, then you have an entirely different issue.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
I agree with Lacerta. it sounds like you don;t know what you paid. And agreed, if you paid your rent that late, the late fees would be high. I don;t think the LL owes you anything if your moving that fast. What does the lease say? by the way, October 1 was yesterday. Your late moving out. More rent due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting