Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,794 times

Advertisements

We have a resident that moved from their owned condo & rented an apartment & then filed chapter 13. Does this person get a special payment from the rental company of the apartment. This is in the State of Virginia, I am requesting this because I am on the board of directors for the condo that this resident left and they owe 1,325 for delinquent assessment & wondering if they get a break on their rent while in chapter 13.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,665,556 times
Most landlords collect an application fee and pocket the money anyway. Just read the posts here. If these supposed LL's did their homework they wouldn't have nearly as much to post? As one poster mentioned, rentals are on the downturn. Good tenants are harder and harder to get so real LL's don't investigate or simply overlook things.

bascat348,
I am sorry to read about your father. The same thing can happened to anyone of us in a heartbeat.

BTW, if your thinking about renting I suggest investigating your prospective landlord. After all you wouldn't give a key to a stranger so why allow a person you don't know the same privilege. You never know if you are renting from a Norman Bates or not. Lots of perverted LL's out there just waiting to "sneak and peak" on you, your wife, or your children. Make sure you do a sexual predator search online or at your local police station. You can also check the tax records of any property within a county to see who owns it, taxes, how the taxes are paid, and that's all for free.
When you meet a person who describes him or herself as a landlord keep one hand on your wallet and the other over....well you can figure that one out.

Remember always, never trust a landlord.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,582,312 times
Default I got an apartment

when i was going thru a chapter 13. My landlord offered me either a credit check or 12 cancelled rent checks. I did the latter and i got the apt

Old 05-09-2010, 07:06 PM

40 posts, read 81,006 times
I rent my property out according to my gut instinct and factors like their job, references, etc. I could never judge a person by credit or bankruptcy because it is an extremely inaccurate picture of a person. Face reality. The credit scheme is just that. Banks prey on people every day, sucking them into the illusion that they can have a fortune filled life by purchasing high interest credit cards. More people have gotten taken by this and the amount of bankruptcy cases have skyrocketed because of it. So I say if you're a person(or place) that uses this to determine a person's worth, you're not using all your marbles. I for one have never regretted my decisions.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM

2 posts, read 12,986 times
My boyfriend is in the process of filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. He signed paper work two days ago and they told him it should go to court within a month. His lease is up 11/1/10. I stoped by the leasing office where he rents and asked how this would affect him getting a new lease. Their guidelines are: they don't accept applications with bankruptcy filed within the past two years, can't make more income than $36,900, cannot be evicted owing past rent. His income is only $21,000 has always paid rent on time. Would it be better to ask his attorney to slow the process down if possible so his bankruptcy doesn't go to court till he signs a new lease? He lives in Fort Myers, Florida. If he tries to rent somewhere else would he need someone to co/sign with him? Please advise.. what would be the best way to handle this.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 12,986 times
My boyfriend is in the process of filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy. He signed paper work two days ago and they told him it should go to court within a month. His lease is up 11/1/10. I stoped by the leasing office where he rents and asked how this would affect him getting a new lease. Their guidelines are: don't accept applications with bankruptcy in the past two years, can't make more income than $36,900 can have been evicted oweing past rent. His income is only $21,000 has always paid rent on time. Would it be better to ask his attorney to slow the process if possible of his court date so he can get new lease and then file bankruptcy?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:49 AM

171 posts, read 443,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It will definitely make it harder to rent, yes. You might want to try to rent a place before you file and then just stay there building rental history as the bankruptcy ages.
This would be my advice as well. Rent now before anything major shows up on your credit report. Or resign yourself to the likelihood of a longer, potentially more expensive apartment search.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,258,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljoebay View Post
I rent my property out according to my gut instinct and factors like their job, references, etc. I could never judge a person by credit or bankruptcy because it is an extremely inaccurate picture of a person. Face reality. The credit scheme is just that. Banks prey on people every day, sucking them into the illusion that they can have a fortune filled life by purchasing high interest credit cards. More people have gotten taken by this and the amount of bankruptcy cases have skyrocketed because of it. So I say if you're a person(or place) that uses this to determine a person's worth, you're not using all your marbles. I for one have never regretted my decisions.
As a landlord, I'm not trying to determine a person's worth. I want to know if they will pay the rent, keep the house in good condition, and be a good addition to the neighborhood (no crime, no trash, no excessive noise). I also would not reject a person just because of a bankruptcy. There are many factors to consider.

The fault isn't all with the banks. Why do the "victims" believe the lies? Maybe we should blame their junior high school math teachers, or advertisers, or a culture that says you must have, have, have.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,651,613 times
Um, besides being a completely ignorant thing to say, you must have a few brains cells missing to bump up an old thread in order to post that nonsense.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:00 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,391,034 times
Post My suggestion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Feel_Fat_2 View Post
I am in a bad situation now and considering a chapter 7. I want to know if that makes it harder to rent in the near future or will it help since I'll be able to start building my score up again? Thanks.
I would avoid property managment companies all together in this situation.
Look for rentals via private owners it will be alot easier. As long as you have
a work history and verifiable income I doubt you'ld have any problems.
Kaole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting