U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 01:54 PM

622 posts, read 827,693 times
Default Good/bad pets for renting

I came up with a list of pets for people who rent as well as a list of awful choices both for you, your LL and the pet involved.

First the good

Fish - Far and away the best choice. These pets have little to no mess, most can be kept contained and will not damage stuff.

Fish for those without heaters

White clouds-discovered by a boy named Tan, these minnows can be kept in small Aqura and don't require a heater.

goldfish- Need BIG tanks and can grow over 12 inches.

Native cool water fish such as darters are good choices IF you can do it legally.

Fish for those with Heaters.

Tetras

Small cichlids such as Kribs, angels, dwarfs.

corys

barbs, cherry,tiger and gold are good choices.

Caged rodents Hamsters, mice, rats, Gina pigs.

Okay IF okay with your LL. They can be contained and are short lived,clean and very intellgent.

Birds

Quiet low mess species are good such as cockteils, budgies,ect. Avoid large parrots.

Bad animal species to keep in apartments.

Dogs. They are loud and very demanding of our time/space. A dog needs/wants to roam miles in a single day, vie long walks. Sadly this is not legal, possible or practical for many apartment dwellers. Most dogs in apartments are unhappy and stressed because of this fact , unless its a small breed adapted to live in apartment sized spaces. Also very few pet dogs are fed properly because many vets/supermarkets sell and promote garbage diets. Dogs in confined spaces can be dangerous esspically if an aggressive breed such as a pit, rott,or shep,also many people who rent are low income, dogs are quite $$. Many LL's are fed up with dogs to the extent they ban all animals ruining it for the people who keep more proper pets.

Cats
another one of our bad choices. Cats have strong destructive instincts that cannot be 100% controlled ALL the time. Many landlords will require/request that you de claw your cat for it to live with you, basically besides being illegal in 37 countries outside the us and canada its the same as the physical removal of all your first joint digits, de clawing can cause the following problems.

Biting ( VERY serious 80% of cat bites get infected and serious protential deadly diseases are spread through biting,such as Rabies ,Cat scratch disease ect).

Litter box avoidance when cats bury stuff they use their paws, sense this is painful many de clawed cats simply stop using a litter box. One shelter reported up to 75% of the cats surrendered there for litter box problems were de clawed.

Walking/balance and spine problems, cats are what as known as digital animals, this means they walk on their tip toes. With front claws gone they must walk on these second digits, besides being painful it causes over time many physical handicaps such as bad body posture, degraded front limb shoulder muscles,ect.

Besides all this cats are very long lived animals,over 30 years in some cases. The proper diets of cats are quite expensive, gross out people and often cannot be found in many pet stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:52 PM

3,350 posts, read 10,063,449 times
I solved that problem. No pets in any house or apartment. Fish are even risky if the tanks breaks. That hasn't happened and I don't ban fish. I do ban dogs and cats becasue of previous renters who swear they have a well behaved dog or cat and the dog ends up chewing a door to get out, or the cat pees in corners and stinks up the place.
I blame the owners, not the pets. Sometimes I'd rathr just have the dog or cat and leave the people out.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:08 AM

124 posts, read 174,915 times
Most cats who are spayed or neutered do not go outside their box if the box is kept clean. Most vets will not declaw an adult cat anyhow but they make caps you can put on the nails.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:40 AM

15,464 posts, read 20,257,482 times
I only allow declawed cats and i allow dogs, but I charge a non refundable pet fee. So far i never had any issues...

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

10,526 posts, read 11,031,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I only allow declawed cats and i allow dogs, but I charge a non refundable pet fee. So far i never had any issues...
You should research declawing before promoting it. It's cruel and inhumane. We are one of the only civilized countries where it is even a legal procedure to perform on a cat.

Declawing on a human hand would be cutting off your fingers to the first knuckle.

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,848,127 times
If I had to declaw a cat I'd just as soon not get one. Can't you get a scratching post or use some type of other method to keep them from clawing up furniture? I would think cats would be great for apartments because of their relative independence compared to dogs.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:36 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,897,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You should research declawing before promoting it. It's cruel and inhumane. We are one of the only civilized countries where it is even a legal procedure to perform on a cat.

Declawing on a human hand would be cutting off your fingers to the first knuckle.

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know
So true. It is also quite dismaying that a LL would insist on declawing, when declawing is known to lead to a LL's worst nightmare - inappropriate urination.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 PM

13,794 posts, read 25,181,931 times
I have a no pets policy... my insurance also has audited my properties looking for prohibited breeds...

I have one disabled tenant that has a certified "Hearing" Signal dog... it has not been a problem... I don't consider it a pet as long as I have proper documentation...

Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 PM

6,769 posts, read 16,467,080 times
Only one in a million cats will live 30 years.. most will live roughly half that long. I've never heard of declawing policies, and the best apartment I've ever had was 100% cat friendly. That was a very nice building.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:48 AM

4,193 posts, read 64,273 times
Cats are disgusting pets to have. One tenant we had, invited all the feral cats in the area into the house. Can I tell you the stench when she left ; it was disgusting. Not alone that, but the stains on our hardwood floors ; we had put carpets over them, but it stained thru. We had to paint them a dark mahogany color just to make sure it wasnt seen,

Oh and then there are the fleas that the cats brought into the house. Those darn things made eggs in the hung ceiling tiles.
I shudder when I think of them living like that. We bombed three times plus got the exterminator in and finally only after ripping the ceiling tiles down did we get rid of the problem.

NEver ever again will I let them have pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting