Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times

Advertisements

The tone of the original post was simply a "I don't have the money, how can I force the landlord to not kick me out anyway". The landlord already gave the OP waaay more lenience than most would. At this point, the OP isn't going to get any pity from any LL on these boards. That's why they got the responses they got.

And, I know this is going to make me the bad guy, but in your "in a coma" scenerio, how long do you let that go on? People can be in a coma for years. How long do you continue to not collect rent? Do you let the property get foreclosed on because you couldn't afford the payments without the income for 6 months or a year because you didn't want to evict a tenant in a coma? Sure, you try to get the emergency contact/next of kin to make their payments in the meantime, but what if they don't have someone who can? At some point you have to make the call to have their stuff moved out. Personally, I would probably let it go on for 30 days hoping they would come out of it and be ok, and then I would start proceedings. If that makes me the evil LL, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:15 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,632,809 times
I agree that the heads up on the 3 day pay or quit is considerate. The more that I read on the renting forum, the more I feel that the majority of the landlords on here hold contempt and bitterness for all renters. It was only about ten years ago that I was in a rough spot and had it not been for an understanding and compassionate landlord, I would've been out on my butt. I made good and have been on my feet since then. All I seem to here on this forum is "late with rent? kick them out!" or "bad credit? no credit? young? unruley kids? don't rent" If landlords are sick of non-paying renters then stop renting.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I agree that the heads up on the 3 day pay or quit is considerate. The more that I read on the renting forum, the more I feel that the majority of the landlords on here hold contempt and bitterness for all renters. It was only about ten years ago that I was in a rough spot and had it not been for an understanding and compassionate landlord, I would've been out on my butt. I made good and have been on my feet since then. All I seem to here on this forum is "late with rent? kick them out!" or "bad credit? no credit? young? unruley kids? don't rent" If landlords are sick of non-paying renters then stop renting.
You may think us terrible, horrible people, but the fact is that we are not charities. Just because we own a property does not mean we can carry your ass, even if you're in a coma!! Rent is a business deal, period. NOT a friendship, NOT a loan, NOT a charity. Do you think the fictitious coma-person's other creditors will just wave a hand and say "Oh well, he's in a COMA, let's forget about trying to collect what he owes us."

No! Coma-patient's car will be repossesed, his utilities will be turned off, his credit cards will go into collections...why then do you think for some illogical reason that the landlord should have to just shrug it off and say "oh well, he's in a coma" and let the rent slide?

We have mortgages and upkeep on those rental homes. They don't go away or get forgiven because our renter is a deadbeat -- OR in a coma.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,752,493 times
The OP posted on the 20th that he just got a 3-day pay or quit. It would be one thing if he went to the landlord on, say, the 5th and explained things. But he obviously hasn't paid in 20 days, and I would guess the fact that the LL sent a letter means he hasn't even tried to contact and explain/ask for an extension, and I would also suspect that it wasn't the first time (many landlords wouldn't send a formal pay-or-quit notice on the first deliquency, especially where there was an explaination given).

Also, keep in mind, we go with the information given. The OP gave us nothing to work with other than he doesn't have the money, and I would guess he isn't in a coma, either. Had he said he had talked to the landlord, this was his first late payment, he was expecting to have the money next week, etc, then maybe people would have been nicer. But, with the info given, what can you do? He gave us a one sentence explaination and then asked for a legal technicality. How can anyone come up with a legal technicality on one sentence?

I forgot to pay my credit card bill one month, and they cut it off the day after I should have paid. Denied me for my groceries! That was after 5 years of charging all my monthly expenses and paying IN FULL every. single. month. They didn't cut me slack. And if I were in a coma, they wouldn't have cut me slack either.

p.s. I'm not a landlord, although I want to be. I just read and post here so that I can one day be a good landlord - if I can ever get into it. *sigh* Just don't have the cash in my area (and the property the family owns back home, which I could take over, wouldn't provide a full-time income nor could I find work in my field to supplement).

Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Every response on this post was filled with bitterness, contempt and anger towards tenents/renters. I get the feeling from your post that you feel ALL renters live the lifestyle you portray. Not all do and yes, there are some renters who have life altering events happen and CANNOT, physically or mentally pay rent on time. Take for instance...a renter (who has NEVER been late with rent) is driving home and gets in a wreck on the 30th of the month. This person is in a coma, has one living relative on the other side of the U.S. Two weeks go by and rent of course is not paid. It would be pretty un-human to boot this person out. From the sounds of every response on this post, there are landlords who would evict a comatose GOOD renter out. If you are a landlord and hold such hatred for renters, find a different profession and stop trying to make all renters into deadbeats. Stereotyping at its best. I know I for one am very offended by all the responses here. I rent because my job requires me to travel extensively and I usually relocate every two years. Just because I rent does not make me a deadbeat. I'm sure you have all had your share of renters who do not pay, have to be evicted, have bad pets whatever. Please don't judge all for a few, it's offensive.
Let me answer this first a renter that has never been late with the rent has nothing to do with being late this month.

If I do not get the rent on the first I will call if I get an answer or not the 3 day notice goes on the door on the second. At that time I call again if no answer the first 2 times I call the emergency number on their lease. At this time if I found out they were in a coma I would still evict them unless they paid.

I do not hold any hatred for renters and do not think all renters are deadbeats until they do not hold up there end of the bargain paying rent.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
If landlords are sick of non-paying renters then stop renting.

Check my old posts I said before non-payers are a small percent of people. No one on this form is going to ask for advice on some one that’s paying all the time right

Help Help my tenant has paid on time for 3 months should I have a talk with them how long before they stop paying should I call there job to find out how things are going

Last edited by tworent; 10-26-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM

29 posts, read 92,921 times
You're trying to find a legal loophole to keep your LL from getting HER money. How do you think she pays HER bills. That makes you ****ty. I assume that if you were a good tenant, had a minor hicup that you discussed with her in advance - she would try to work WITH you, not evict you.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,404,704 times
Simple equation....rental of anything equals a business. Consider a rental car....you don't make the payments on time, you'd better believe it is gonna get taken back immediately. Rental of a house or apartment is the same thing on a larger scale. Business is business. Actually, I think a 23 day grace period is amazingly generous!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
How is the OP able to post from a coma?

How often does the coma scenario come up for a LL?

Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
How is the OP able to post from a coma?

How often does the coma scenario come up for a LL?
I don't know, I've had renters that I could swear were constantly in a walking coma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting