Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A lease is for a term specific... when is the lease up?
I agree. If the landlord didn't want him moving out in the winter, the lease would be until March 1, and he would be breaking the lease if he moved out before then. Read the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Basically if you or him signed it, you signed to say you agreed on that!

Read before you sign!
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
I agree. If the landlord didn't want him moving out in the winter, the lease would be until March 1, and he would be breaking the lease if he moved out before then. Read the lease.
I hope I'm correct, but I assume he's now on a month-to-month lease with a two-month minimum move-out notice. That's a commonly offered lease renewal option in the OP's area. (If he was trying to move out before, say, a 1 year lease was completed, I wouldn't have any advice whatsoever.)

Last edited by Thegonagle; 10-28-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 AM

33 posts, read 127,710 times
His is a month to month lease with 46 days' notice. I do not live with him and have never been on the lease.

I think I will contact the tenant hotline for the City of Minneapolis. If it's enforcable by law, then we're ok with that; it's not going to affect his moving plans, and it'll just be a bummer that he has to pay two months' rent for an empty apartment.

However, I totally agree; "If you signed it, it's enforcable," is only valid if there is no superceding law in place -- ie, law trumps lease, and if the law says that the landlord cannot dictate that, then the landlord is out of luck. My question is not about the lease, it's about the possible existence of a superceding law.

I have a feeling he's out of luck, but for that much money it's totally worth a phone call!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,523 times
I also have the same problem with winter clause, i am on month to month lease and had planned to move out on the end of november but the landlord is saying that i am reliable for the rent on those winter months.. can someone help me out...

Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsang12 View Post
i am on month to month lease ...
If you're a month to month tenant...
then your obligation to pay or to give notice that your leaving
is limited to (ta dah) a month at a time.

Know which you actually are.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,518 times
i have the same problem with winter clause..

Old 11-02-2011, 01:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsang12 View Post
I also have the same problem with winter clause, i am on month to month lease and had planned to move out on the end of november but the landlord is saying that i am reliable for the rent on those winter months.. can someone help me out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you're a month to month tenant...
then your obligation to pay or to give notice that your leaving
is limited to (ta dah) a month at a time.

Know which you actually are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharukh View Post
i have the same problem with winter clause..
What your lease(s) say in a winter clause isn't enforceable in a month to month lease agreement. So poster MrRational is correct. If you're on a month to month agreement you can't be held liable to such a clause. If you're on a long lease which has a winter clause quit clause then you are. As has been said, read your lease.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I don't know that I agree with you on that one, STT. Even on a month to month lease, if the lease says notice for move out will not be accepted in November, December, or January, or something similar, that is probably enforceable, even on a month to month.

If you aren't month to month, there is no point in having a "no winter moveout" clause, since you just make the lease not end in those months.

So the entire point of having a winter move out clause is for those on month to month leases. I would bet that it is entirely enforceable if written correctly in the lease, and you probably are liable for the winter months.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
So the entire point of having a winter move out clause is for those on month to month leases. I would bet that it is entirely enforceable if written correctly in the lease, and you probably are liable for the winter months.
Absent an end date (eg an actual lease)...
I don't believe that any sort of "winter moveout clause" will be enforceable.
And even with a regular lease I doubt that it would be.

Maybe if some reciprocal accommodation is made like reduced rent for those months... but even still.

Any actual lawyers want to take this?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I don't know that I agree with you on that one, STT. Even on a month to month lease, if the lease says notice for move out will not be accepted in November, December, or January, or something similar, that is probably enforceable, even on a month to month.

If you aren't month to month, there is no point in having a "no winter moveout" clause, since you just make the lease not end in those months.

Good point.
As I understand it, month to month from a regular lease simply means the tenant and landlord can terminate the occupancy by proper notice each month. But as I read some of the state laws, they all seem to say that all provisions of the lease remain in force except the end date of the agreement is based on a monthly time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting