U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM

33 posts, read 66,664 times
Default Landlord/lease preventing winter moveout -- is this legal?

For months my boyfriend has been planning on moving into my newly-purchased home at the end of this December. He gave notice on his current apartment today, and to his surprise, his landlord is telling him he is not allowed, as the terms of his lease prevent a lease from being terminated during the winter months, until March 1st.

He is looking up his lease terms, but I have no doubt that this is indeed what his lease says. My question is: Is this enforcable? I've seen many wacky lease terms in my days, and I believe that the law supercedes any lease terms if there is a discrepancy between the two; I'm just not sure if there is a discrepancy or not. I've looked up the landlord-tenant handbook and can find little reference either way, and was wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with this type of clause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 8,138,070 times
I can't speak for Minnesota law but this would help protect the landlord from losing money since it is harder to find new tenants/people willing to move in during the winter months.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM

6,040 posts, read 5,484,855 times
If it's in the lease and he signed it, then he agreed to stay until at least March 1st. He could move out during the winter months, but he'd still need to pay for the months until the end of the lease, or pay the lease cancellation fee.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:07 PM

20,530 posts, read 22,567,353 times
Just confirms that when you're asked to sign a lease you should read it first!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM

5,107 posts, read 9,267,157 times
I know several people who have a clause like that in their agreements. Besides being more difficult to rent in the winter months, leading to more vacancy time, there is also the issue of being more wear and tear on the unit with a winter move out, with all the muck and moisture getting tracked in.

I think if it was in the lease, it is enforceable. I would be surprised if this would be something that would be dictated by state law.

They can't tell you you can't move during a certain time frame, but they can tell you they won't end a lease during a time frame. So he can move, but he is still liable on the lease. If he chooses to take the hit and break the lease, depending on his lease and state law, he could have to: forfeit his deposit, be responsible for rent and utilities until the property is rerented (or until the lease says he can give notice for, whichever is sooner), and have the bad reference on his history.

So, to your original question, no, it probably isn't legal to not allow a winter moveout, but YES, the LL probably can refuse to terminate a lease in the winter if it was in the original lease.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:44 PM

315 posts, read 607,275 times
If it is in the lease he signed yes it is enforcable.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 PM

11,995 posts, read 11,333,232 times
Leases are enforceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbewillful View Post
For months my boyfriend has been planning on moving into my newly-purchased home at the end of this December. He gave notice on his current apartment today, and to his surprise, his landlord is telling him he is not allowed, as the terms of his lease prevent a lease from being terminated during the winter months, until March 1st.

He is looking up his lease terms, but I have no doubt that this is indeed what his lease says. My question is: Is this enforcable? I've seen many wacky lease terms in my days, and I believe that the law supercedes any lease terms if there is a discrepancy between the two; I'm just not sure if there is a discrepancy or not. I've looked up the landlord-tenant handbook and can find little reference either way, and was wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with this type of clause.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:35 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,881,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
If it is in the lease he signed yes it is enforcable.
Not necessarily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Leases are enforceable.
Leases and other contracts are generally enforcable. However, items within which break the law are certainly not. All of the "you signed the contract, therefore it's enforcable" parrots on the internet seem not to understand this, or else they would not be posting that nonsense about such a wide range of topics.

The question here was not is whether a lease is enforcable, but whether the no-move out clause in this lease is legal or not.

Which it might be. I've seen this before in Minnesota, in a complex I moved out of in 2000. It didn't affect me, so I never even thought about it. It does seem questionable though, so I'd probably ask a lawyer what's what. If it's legal, hang up the phone before the lawyer gets your billing address , and start negotiating with the LL. If it's not legal, or if it's a gray area, a polite "FOAD" letter from a lawyer to the landlord should be enough to make him drop the issue.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:03 AM

15,052 posts, read 18,936,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontbewillful View Post

Basically if you or him signed it, you signed to say you agreed on that!

Read before you sign!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM

13,117 posts, read 23,405,339 times
A lease is for a term specific... when is the lease up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting