U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 PM
 
19 posts, read 46,594 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I own a condo in Cape Canaveral. The last known person on the lease moved out, stiffing me on rent, and gave the keys to "unknowns" who have changed the locks, moved in, painted and made themselves to home. I went to the Police, only to be told I need to go thru the courts as a civil case to evict them. Well...
What if I didn't evict these people, and leased out the rooms individually inside the condo? Technically, I am not throwing them out, just making their life uncomfortable by leasing the rooms out to legal tenants on a lease, who have full access to condo and choice of rooms. What if I said I was moving in with them? I am not evicting them at all, just squeezing them and all the free space they claimed, and use of their furniture and utilities in their name .I could find nothing in FL law says that I have to provide squatters with a bedroom, parking space and free run of a home they have no lease on. I do not even know who these people are. I have posted a 48 hour notice of intent with Police to gain entry into the condo, and also let them know that I have rented out a room, and require them to release keys. I AM NOT EVICTING THEM< NOR CHANGING LOCKS. Will this work?
HELP! Everyone I spoke with thought this was clever. I even rented the room out with utilities included since the squatters have them in their name already.
Any attorneys out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
12,024 posts, read 12,381,399 times
Reputation: 13428
Get yourself a good Real Estate Attorney,

Really makes you wonder about ppl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 PM
 
6,040 posts, read 5,972,334 times
Reputation: 3822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgluckydog View Post
I own a condo in Cape Canaveral. The last known person on the lease moved out, stiffing me on rent, and gave the keys to "unknowns" who have changed the locks, moved in, painted and made themselves to home. I went to the Police, only to be told I need to go thru the courts as a civil case to evict them. Well...
What if I didn't evict these people, and leased out the rooms individually inside the condo? Technically, I am not throwing them out, just making their life uncomfortable by leasing the rooms out to legal tenants on a lease, who have full access to condo and choice of rooms. What if I said I was moving in with them? I am not evicting them at all, just squeezing them and all the free space they claimed, and use of their furniture and utilities in their name .I could find nothing in FL law says that I have to provide squatters with a bedroom, parking space and free run of a home they have no lease on. I do not even know who these people are. I have posted a 48 hour notice of intent with Police to gain entry into the condo, and also let them know that I have rented out a room, and require them to release keys. I AM NOT EVICTING THEM< NOR CHANGING LOCKS. Will this work?
HELP! Everyone I spoke with thought this was clever. I even rented the room out with utilities included since the squatters have them in their name already.
Any attorneys out there?
No legal tenant in their right mind would rent a room from you in that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:59 AM
 
19 posts, read 46,594 times
Reputation: 13
The tenant is a friend of mine and knows the situation. I agree, would be unfair to someone walking in on this mess unknowingly. I would never do that to anyone. I will tell the Police today that I am moving back on weekends. I have the right to live on my property, and then would have access all the time. I looked up on squatters/ trespassers privacy laws, and I found they do not have any privacy rights living illeagally not on a lease, similar as if they lived in a homeless shelter. Keep your fingers crossed...all happening this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 AM
 
3,777 posts, read 4,584,313 times
Reputation: 1823
I'm sure this will be entertaining(if not ugly) but I mean if they are squatters, what quality of life are they really expecting? I'm sure they have lived worse I don't believe this will have much effect. I think I've read on here you can evict someone in Florida in 2 or 3 weeks. If I were you I would try to move back in(so you can try and prevent damage) and then evict.

A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
22,143 posts, read 26,279,267 times
Reputation: 22738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgluckydog View Post
The tenant is a friend of mine and knows the situation. I agree, would be unfair to someone walking in on this mess unknowingly. I would never do that to anyone. I will tell the Police today that I am moving back on weekends. I have the right to live on my property, and then would have access all the time. I looked up on squatters/ trespassers privacy laws, and I found they do not have any privacy rights living illeagally not on a lease, similar as if they lived in a homeless shelter. Keep your fingers crossed...all happening this afternoon.
The tenant is a friend of yours? What tenant, the one who moved out and left the place to someone else? Some "friend". How are you going to get in - the unknown squatters who changed the locks are going to give you a key?

Personally I think you're crazy to contemplate this action. File the eviction notice and wait it out. The whole scenario sounds loony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,040 posts, read 6,731,010 times
Reputation: 3535
It's YOUR place. Just come home and evict the scumbag squatters at gunpoint. Just boot them out on the street, they have no rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 AM
 
3,777 posts, read 4,584,313 times
Reputation: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgluckydog View Post
I own a condo in Cape Canaveral. The last known person on the lease moved out, stiffing me on rent, and gave the keys to "unknowns" who have changed the locks, moved in, painted and made themselves to home. I went to the Police, only to be told I need to go thru the courts as a civil case to evict them. Well...
What if I didn't evict these people, and leased out the rooms individually inside the condo? Technically, I am not throwing them out, just making their life uncomfortable by leasing the rooms out to legal tenants on a lease, who have full access to condo and choice of rooms. What if I said I was moving in with them? I am not evicting them at all, just squeezing them and all the free space they claimed, and use of their furniture and utilities in their name .I could find nothing in FL law says that I have to provide squatters with a bedroom, parking space and free run of a home they have no lease on. I do not even know who these people are. I have posted a 48 hour notice of intent with Police to gain entry into the condo, and also let them know that I have rented out a room, and require them to release keys. I AM NOT EVICTING THEM< NOR CHANGING LOCKS. Will this work?
HELP! Everyone I spoke with thought this was clever. I even rented the room out with utilities included since the squatters have them in their name already.
Any attorneys out there?
Edit: I see you already went to the police so this is advice is mute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
 
3,777 posts, read 4,584,313 times
Reputation: 1823
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The tenant is a friend of yours? What tenant, the one who moved out and left the place to someone else? Some "friend". How are you going to get in - the unknown squatters who changed the locks are going to give you a key?

Personally I think you're crazy to contemplate this action. File the eviction notice and wait it out. The whole scenario sounds loony.
So if I go on vacation and someone breaks into my house and changes the locks, I can't enter my house and have to wait until they are evicted?(honest question) That's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
22,143 posts, read 26,279,267 times
Reputation: 22738
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
So if I go on vacation and someone breaks into my house and changes the locks, I can't enter my house and have to wait until they are evicted?(honest question) That's crazy.
The OP didn't go on vacation and return to find his house occupied. He rented the condo apparently to a "friend" who failed to keep up with the rent, left the premises and allowed the squatters to move in. Your analogy makes as little sense as his plan to move into the house while the unknown squatters are still inside. He was advised by his local PD to file eviction proceedings. He really needs to consult with a lawyer instead of trying to find ways to "self-help". Nothing about his post makes any sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top