Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 05:48 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times

Advertisements

The security deposit "may" be negotiable, but it's definitely up to the LL. One thing to keep in mind is that the security deposit is actually YOUR money, but it's being held by the LL, or their agent, until the term of the lease has run its course and all conditions are met. It's in the best interest of the LL to hold a security deposit in a reasonable and sufficient amount so as to cover any potential damage or loss to the property, caused by a tenant. IMHO, a LL who accepts an unusually low amount of security deposit is making a big mistake. Yeah, a tenant will love that, but it could only come back to bite the LL if there's any damage to deal with in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 09:23 PM

19 posts, read 68,977 times
Private owners can charge as little or as much or none at all. It's totally up to them. I have a short sale I am renting until it sells or forecloses with no deposit, in luei of them making all their own repairs and cleaning etc. "as is" condition. If it weren't selling or going back to the bank, I think I would get a deposit, but this way I don't owe anything back, and they fix everything themselves.
I have rented where they let me pay over a 3 or 4 month period also. Negotiate with them.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgluckydog View Post
Private owners can charge as little or as much or none at all. It's totally up to them. I have a short sale I am renting until it sells or forecloses with no deposit, in luei of them making all their own repairs and cleaning etc. "as is" condition. If it weren't selling or going back to the bank, I think I would get a deposit, but this way I don't owe anything back, and they fix everything themselves.
I have rented where they let me pay over a 3 or 4 month period also. Negotiate with them.
*** As long as the property is not subject to local rent control statutes and the property meets applicable habitability standards.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:27 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgluckydog View Post
And here is a good reason a tenant should be leery if a landlord wants to make deals If you have a landlord that cannot afford the house one day you’re going to find yourself getting kicked out because of no fault of your own. People like this give landlords a bad name

Old 11-14-2009, 08:58 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
I find that if a tenant can't pay the security deposit, how can he pay the rent? You should not be paying more than 25% of your income on living expenses. Thus, you should have enough left over for the deposit. You're telling your landlord that you can't come up with $700 of the deposit. How are you going to come up with $1350 for next month's rent, too? Sounds like trouble, and I would look elsewhere for a tenant if it were me. If you want this apartment, it's best to let the landlord believe that you can afford it.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 PM

85 posts, read 186,985 times
That is crap. Your asking a tennant to pay 2 months rent up front. I would love for someone to tell me where this extra month of rent is supposed to come from, especially at this price. It's not like they were homeless, they just got done paying rent at their last place too.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times
You can ask for free beer in the lobby every afternoon, but that doesn't mean its going to happen.

He already knocked a few bucks off your deposit, don't count on another reduction of more than 50%.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetter2 View Post
That is crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
He already knocked a few bucks off your deposit, don't count on another reduction of more than 50%.
The thread is two years old so I guess this got sorted out a while ago ...

Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The thread is two years old so I guess this got sorted out a while ago ...
Maybe they are still negotiating.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
As a private LL, my terms are non-negotiable.

In fact, it would be a red-flag for me and I would likely not do business with you.

Even if you had a reference letter from both POTUS and the Pope, I'd still be leery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting