Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,932 times

Advertisements

Im at a stand still right now on how to proceed with getting a resolution to my problem....Help?

I live on the second floor in an apartment complex and had someone move above me four weeks ago.. Within those four weeks I have been woken up 9 times between 6-7am with a hurried stomp to the bathroom and back to the bedroom... They arrive home around 630pm and its a daily nonstop stomping around, dropping whatever, hammering, and sometimes running... This is a lady somewhere in her 30s... The noise is comparable to heavy bass and has gotten out of control... I think what is going on is she simply is one of those people that has a heavy walk and unknownly stomps when they walk... I have complained to the apartment complex 8 times, have called the on site officer who did not bother showing up the first time and was on vacation when I called yesterday... Instead the local Police Dept called me back and were going to send an on duty officer... but in my mind there are more serious issues than having to respond to something that the Management SHOULD fix.. The complex is completely unwilling to do ANYTHING at all unless they hear the noise complaint personally... because of my crazy school times 2pm-730ish...they are closed when I get home and left to suffer yet another day of stomping... Has anyone else been through anything comparable and able to resolve it? I need some advice on this one..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:04 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,018 times
Talk to the stompers. Be polite

Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Going to the stompers is the first step. If you let people know they are making a disturbance, they will respond by trying to resolve it. Always be polite and aware that you are complaining to them about them.
I've frequently told people that bare feet on a floor make more noise than wearing slippers or shoes. Most people are not aware of this and will respond to try to not making so much noise.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
Above all, no passive-aggressive behavior like beating on the ceiling or making noise in order to "get even".

Old 11-11-2009, 11:58 AM

179 posts, read 565,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torno600 View Post
Im at a stand still right now on how to proceed with getting a resolution to my problem....Help?

I live on the second floor in an apartment complex and had someone move above me four weeks ago.. Within those four weeks I have been woken up 9 times between 6-7am with a hurried stomp to the bathroom and back to the bedroom... They arrive home around 630pm and its a daily nonstop stomping around, dropping whatever, hammering, and sometimes running... This is a lady somewhere in her 30s... The noise is comparable to heavy bass and has gotten out of control... I think what is going on is she simply is one of those people that has a heavy walk and unknownly stomps when they walk... I have complained to the apartment complex 8 times, have called the on site officer who did not bother showing up the first time and was on vacation when I called yesterday... Instead the local Police Dept called me back and were going to send an on duty officer... but in my mind there are more serious issues than having to respond to something that the Management SHOULD fix.. The complex is completely unwilling to do ANYTHING at all unless they hear the noise complaint personally... because of my crazy school times 2pm-730ish...they are closed when I get home and left to suffer yet another day of stomping... Has anyone else been through anything comparable and able to resolve it? I need some advice on this one..

Have you asked her to try to walk softer on her floor? Or just inquire what the noise may be? She may not realize that she is creating such a disturbance in your apartment.
Most neighbors will try to curtail the noise especially in the evening hours if they realize it effects the neighbor below them.
But after that if she continues, I then would take it a step further, and demand the landlord handle it, even if it means adding more PADDING to her wall to wall carpet!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:42 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
I feel your pain. Once, I lived in an apartment with neighbors above me. For some reason, the sound of people walking over my head was just... infuriating. I could hear every little thing that went on up there. The toilets flushing, the kitchen cabinets, the front door - every heavy step, skip, and jump they took. It really made me fume.

But eventually I realized that it wasn't really my neighbors' fault, they were just walking around in their apartment, living their lives, doing their thing in an apartment that didn't have much in the way of soundproofing. Their thing was a lot noisier than I prefer, but everyone is different. Some are quiet, some are boisterous, and most people are active during the day. When you live in a multi-unit apartment building, you may hear more of your neighbors than you prefer. Comes with the territory. Take it from me, next time rent on the top floor and you'll be much happier. (Where you will try to always remember the neighbors below, right? ) Perhaps your landlord might be willing to let you move into a top floor unit now?

If your neighbors are quiet during normal sleeping hours you should count yourself lucky. It is not reasonable to demand that people change how heavy a walker they are or what shoes they wear or don't wear or when they have their morning pee inside their own home.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
In our previous apt., we could hear "stomping/short running" coming from above us in our living room. We talked to the neighbor and found out that he was going thru a nasty divorce (sometimes he'd come home mad, he told us), but the noise we heard was him, his daughter and her friend playing the Wii Bowling Game!! He had bought the Game for his daughter for Christmas. He told us that he would move the game into a bedroom which did help, but could still hear some noise going on due to playing that game. I understand that people living above other people want to live a normal life, but there are just some things that shouldn't be done in apartments where a neighbor below hears too much noise. I have said this once and will say it AGAIN......apartments are NOT houses. The biggest "key word" to that phrase is RESPECT towards neighbors. But, seeing the many, many Threads about noise in this Forum, I don't very, very seriously that that "key word" is ever thought about (or done) without a complaint happening first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting