Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:40 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
thanks.
yeah, i agree.

i actually just checked....and i made a mistake....it was a money order that they gave....not a cashier's check.
how does that differ?
BankingQuestions.com - Stop Payment on Money Order

Looks like they can stop payment on it but it depends on the specific type of money order. Why won't he send you a personal check? That seems like the easiest way(most protection for the tenant), it is usually the landlord who insists on money orders etc.

Here's two links about what happens with money orders and cashier's check
U.C.C. - ARTICLE 3 -§3-312.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 10:41 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Have it sent certified?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:49 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default money orders

from the post office or a check cashing place are generally cheaper than a cashier's check or MO from a bank

Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Knock $10 off his rent and make him send it UPS or FEDEX. It takes about 3 minutes online to print out a label, has a tracking #. There are about a million places to drop them off (and fedex offers free envelopes and labels, if need be) and it's only a few bucks to send.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:20 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post

Looks like they can stop payment on it but it depends on the specific type of money order. Why won't he send you a personal check? That seems like the easiest way(most protection for the tenant), it is usually the landlord who insists on money orders etc.

Here's two links about what happens with money orders and cashier's check
U.C.C. - ARTICLE 3 -§3-312.
Money orders never bounce.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
PO box is NOT a guarantee of safety when it comes down to your mail.

I am retired in Baja and have a PO box in San Ysidro Calif. for the last 13 yrs.

During that time have lost mail (CC statement, magazine etc).

I would get some mail from the box next to mine being the last numbers a 8 or 9...easy to confuse at 4 AM by the posting mail clerk.

I always return any mail NOT mine to the counter person but doubt the neighbor box is having the same courtesy.

Boxes are for a minimum of 3 months and during the yrs have seen the last name change frequently.

Bottom line is that the PO is not immune to mistakes.

Steve

Old 11-15-2009, 02:22 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,863 times
nothing is immune to mistakes--all cashiers checks have carbon copies with their own set of numbers--one copy for the bank,one for the purchaser,original to the payee--both mo's and cashier checks have numbers that can be traced--on a cc the bank can halt payment and reissue a new one if the check is lost based on the number on the copy of the payer and bank matching--as a renter i woud NEVER pay with a personal check!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I like paying cash, myself. With money orders being the next best thing.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
They are adults, let them pay how they want. The rent is due when the rent is due. Even if it was a personal check-it could still get lost. It's not your problem.

You could ensure your lease stated something along the lines of it being the renter's responsibility to ensure payment is made on or before the due date and that any mailing delay will incur late fees if payment received past the due date.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
They are adults, let them pay how they want. The rent is due when the rent is due. Even if it was a personal check-it could still get lost. It's not your problem.

You could ensure your lease stated something along the lines of it being the renter's responsibility to ensure payment is made on or before the due date and that any mailing delay will incur late fees if payment received past the due date.
adding that to my contract is a good idea.
but 'realistically', i'm sure you can imagine a case where they send the Money order (or not) and it gets lost, and i tell them and they insist that they paid and that they will not pay again etc etc.
then you're faced with this conflict that must be resolved one way or another....and even though it's 'legally' in my favor, it'll be head ache for both sides. that's what i was trying to avoid by thinking ahead of time.
And "it's not my problem" until a MO gets lost and i have to fight with them and take them to court to evict them over something that 'may' be preventable. see my point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting