Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times

Advertisements

The management of buildings this size always assumes a certain percentage of vacancies. Just like management of an office building assumes some vacancies If they have none, that's great, more profit for them but if not, they've budgeted to for that situation, so they won't be hurting if someone moves out or doesn't pay their rent.

So you could try to negotiate (with either property management or the building owners) but I doubt you'll accomplish much. Losing your rent isn't something they fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
2 possibilities
1. he is stupid and greedy
2. you are a rotten tenant and the rent increase is a smokescreen to get rid of you.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:03 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
I respectfully disagree with you on this point. Unless it's a complex with set rates across the board...that they *have* to keep the rates the same...there's nothing saying a landlord can't offer a deal to a tenant. Sometimes they will choose longevity over making a few extra bucks a month, especially if it means keeping a unit occupied and/or not having to go through the hassle/cost of finding a new tenant.

In one of the complexes I used to live, they re-evaluated everyone's rent when their lease expiration came up. If you were constantly calling them to do things (changing light bulbs and minor stuff like that), doing damage or things of that nature, they would up the rent for the following year. Sometimes it was only $10 added on for each month, sometimes it was $50.
Those of you who are landlords know more about this than I do, but I would suspect that the larger rental properties (and I would consider 200 units to be in that category) would have to be very careful about setting different rental rates on a case by case basis in order to avoid any appearance of unlawful discrimination. People are always looking for reasons to sue, and people talk, so I don't know that you would be able to keep things confidential. Assume that tenants of a specific religious or ethnic group were offered a deal for $130 less than another tenant of a different religious or ethnic group on an identical apartment. Both are considered "good" tenants. I could see problems here.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:17 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
The thing the OP and others are failing to touch upon is that the person the OP is calling the landlord is probably just the manager, and not the owner. As such, the complex is probably owned by a corporation which would set the rental rates, not the manager. If it's like the corporation that I worked with for a few years, they have thousands or tens of thousands of units so they don't care whether or not you personally want to stay at the new rates -- you're just a statistic that doesn't really matter on your own.
Every tenant I have think I am the manager not the onwer Landlording 101

Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Every tenant I have think I am the manager not the onwer Landlording 101
Say what?

So every tenant you have thinks you're the manager. What's the "landlording 101" jab have to do with that?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Say what?

So every tenant you have thinks you're the manager. What's the "landlording 101" jab have to do with that?
No jab intended

It is a very bad policy to let your tenants know that you own the property. There are many reasons for this number one is when I tell a tenant NO there is no reason to argue with me I am just an employee doing what I am told remember that old saying do not shot the messenger. The second is you never make a decision with out haveing time to think about it.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No jab intended

It is a very bad policy to let your tenants know that you own the property. There are many reasons for this number one is when I tell a tenant NO there is no reason to argue with me I am just an employee doing what I am told remember that old saying do not shot the messenger. The second is you never make a decision with out haveing time to think about it.
Oh, okay. You advocate lying to your tenants. It's pretty easy to find out who actually owns a place, you know.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,155 times
Quote:
No jab intended

That's an interesting philosophy.

As Mercury said, it's easy enough to find out who the owner is. As a tenant, and if I found out that the person was lying...I'd think they were pretty shady and would probably pack up and leave once my lease was up. My philosophy: if they're lying about who they really are - what else are they lying about?

And PS: I sure hope you don't get angry with tenants if they tell little white lies to you. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:29 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
Sounds like an easy way out of any sort of issues by saying "I'm just the messenger".

Not an approach I'd take but different strokes for different folks!

Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Sounds like an easy way out of any sort of issues by saying "I'm just the messenger".

Not an approach I'd take but different strokes for different folks!
It's just as easy to say "Let me sleep on it, I'll let you know tomorrow."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting