Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:59 PM

274 posts, read 427,298 times

Advertisements

Just did the 6 month inspection for my problem tenant and while I'm overall not thrilled with the condition of the house, it's nothing to evict over. I did find a few issues and just want to make sure I'm on the right page before I notify her.

2nd bathroom tub: knob broken on shower.
Landlord

If gears are stripped from the vice grips currently being used to turn knob....
Tenant

Gutter down spout knocked off
Landlord

Huge hole in gutter
Landlord

Bi-fold doors knocked off for the living room closet
Gray area...but I'm going with tenant in this case. She states it has happened multiple times...but didn't when I lived there. My main reason....if I'd received a complaint 3 days after moving in like she says it happened the first time, then I would feel it's the landlords but since it's 6 months later? And according to her keeps happening so why didn't she say anything prior to an inspection?

No detection of urine although the house does smell of the allowed dogs, but floor is laminate so that will go away I'm sure when they leave.

Air filter dirty and needs to be changed
Tenant

2nd Bathroom smells like pot, but the smoker daughter left yesterday per a neighbor (one we witnessed going inside with the cigarette) and her clothes are gone. Her previous bedroom smells like air freshener, so I will notate the witnessed cigarette on my report.

Mouse droppings under bathroom sink....thoughts? I personally feel that's the tenants job to address, we are a farming community so mice are an ongoing issue. I used to keep a trap out and would catch maybe 2 a year.

Or not even address it until they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Tenant?? Nope LL Most are normal wear. Fix now! You were there Why didn't you change the filters?

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Tenant?? Nope LL Most are normal wear. Fix now! You were there Why didn't you change the filters?
As usual, you don't know what you are talking about. None of those are normal wear and tear and in most locations its not the landlord's responsibility to change the air filters.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:24 PM

My LL inspects 2 x a yr & Changes the Filters!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:27 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My LL inspects 2 x a yr & Changes the Filters!
in 99% of places rented, filter changes are in the lease as tenant responsibility.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:29 PM

and really, air filters should be changed 1x a month, not every 6 months. that's an easy way to not only ramp up your electricity costs, but to clog up your system.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM

I once ask if I should change them more often since I have 2 dogs. I was told nope they weren't that dirty!

IF its the Tenants Responsibility WHY come on here & Complain! That's what those 99% LL do!

Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 PM

i dont know if you're speaking to me about "complaining" but I am not, nor am I a landlord however if you are talking about the OP complaining about their tenant not changing the filter, i would too if i was a landlord. Not changing them often will cause issues with the system and cause dust/crap to go into the system since it has no where else to go.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 AM

The three things I've notated as the tenant and my "thought" behind it.

The knobs, those wear out get stripped etc and was installed in 2006 so are older. I have zero issue with replacing them, it's a less then $10 fix. However, there's a metal *star* thst the knob fit's over to turn. If that's stripped because they are currently turning it with vice grips, that is not a cheap fix and it entails getting a plumber out. Since they didn't report the broken handle to me, and their temporary solution has caused possible further damage then I feel that would be their responsibility to replace if they have damaged that.

The door - if it truly fell down while they were moving in, and now 2 more times since so they just leave it off, why the hell wouldn't she report it. She's complained non stop about the water, lawn care etc. A quick text (and good Lord is she a texter) would have sufficed. In either case it's not a super expensive fix so if they want ro leave it off until they leave in September oh well, but I am going to make a note on it for the report.

Air filter is nasty, looks like it's not been changed since they moved in and there's 6 people and 2 dogs living there. I would have changed it but didn't have a filter on hand. I will notate the filter on the report, and bring one when I replace the faucet handle.

I really don't think I'm complaining just making sure that my thought process for why this should be theirs is correct.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:10 AM

Oh and mouse droppings. The house was filthy with clothing everywhere. I don't think you need an exterminator, just keep your stuff picked up and toss some traps out. I'd be more then willing to provide the traps if they would like but im not living there and can't check and reset them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting