Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What can you do? You can file a formal complaint with your landlord.
I think that there is probably nothing the landlord can do. Children are a protected class under federal law, so the landlord can not evict for the noise, or even threaten to evict.

I suppose one could start calling the police and report that it sounds like someone is getting slammed against the walls. Perhaps a few welfare checks from the police might quiet them down. Although, inconsiderate people never seem to catch on.

This is the big problem with living in an apartment. In an apartment, you get to share all the noise generated by all your neighbors. Some people are inconsiderate about the noise they generate and a bunch of that type seem to be apartment dwellers.

The person being bothered by the noise can always give notice and move out at the end of their lease. They might even be able to break the lease because they aren't getting any "quiet enjoyment" of their living quarters.

But, got to warn you, that if all you (generic you, not anyone specific) can afford is an apartment, leaving one apartment building and moving to anther might just be trading one noisy neighbor for another noisy neighbor. Because most apartment buildings are not quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 11:32 PM

7 posts, read 65,411 times
Quote:
What can you do? You can file a formal complaint with your landlord.

I already did that. The police have been called five times this week ALONE. The landlord called police because I was told by the landlord that if the noise is becoming too loud, I can call or text her no matter what time of night it is and she would take care of it. Landlord is very understanding. I appreciate her efforts greatly. The noise has gotten progressively worse, but at least she tries, ya know? I filed several complaints, but ass wipe neighbors could care less. The spawn of satan is at it again right now. It's eleven o'clock! For crying out loud! I'm so damn sick of this. But of course, the neighbors didn't take landlord seriously when she told them they were being evicted because they're still here! They were supposed to be gone a week ago......omg, they are on my last freaking nerve. But wait, there's more. Oh goody goody gumdrops.....now it's not just the people upstairs, now it's the across the hall neighbors too. This retarded couple just moved in and they kept me and my toddler up all night screaming at each other. Pushing each other around, throwing things, making death threats, provoking each other. Wtf! This pathetic pair are louder than the bung holes upstairs. Double whammy. Ugh, my kid is trying to go to sleep! They threaten to kill each other......well get it over with already and S T F U! Do everyone a favor.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 PM

I just had an extra thought to add. Well it's more of a Queston. I read somewhere that some people write notes to noisy neighbors such as "dear neighbor, you are depriving me and my child of our sleep and it keeps us up all night. Kindly shut the F up. Sincerely, your one way ticket to the curb." I don't know if I should, but I sure feel like it. They're just not getting it, so to speak.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I think that there is probably nothing the landlord can do. Children are a protected class under federal law, so the landlord can not evict for the noise, or even threaten to evict.

I suppose one could start calling the police and report that it sounds like someone is getting slammed against the walls. Perhaps a few welfare checks from the police might quiet them down. Although, inconsiderate people never seem to catch on.

This is the big problem with living in an apartment. In an apartment, you get to share all the noise generated by all your neighbors. Some people are inconsiderate about the noise they generate and a bunch of that type seem to be apartment dwellers.

The person being bothered by the noise can always give notice and move out at the end of their lease. They might even be able to break the lease because they aren't getting any "quiet enjoyment" of their living quarters.

But, got to warn you, that if all you (generic you, not anyone specific) can afford is an apartment, leaving one apartment building and moving to anther might just be trading one noisy neighbor for another noisy neighbor. Because most apartment buildings are not quiet.

Wrong!!!

The landlord and the police can do something. Children are protected against housing discrimination only. Families are evicted all the time for all sorts of reasons.......noise being one of them.

If the landlord refuses to address the issue, then the OP needs to call the cops each and every night this goes on. This is beyond 'daily living noise' and is at the point of excessive.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Cool Kim, you're awesome!

Quote:
Wrong!!!

The landlord and the police can do something. Children are protected against housing discrimination only. Families are evicted all the time for all sorts of reasons.......noise being one of them.

If the landlord refuses to address the issue, then the OP needs to call the cops each and every night this goes on. This is beyond 'daily living noise' and is at the point of excessive.
Lol, Kim, you really are so cool. And funny. But most of all, HONEST.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You may be right about almost all apartment buildings not being quiet. That's to be expected, but come on, in my situation, this is beyond ridiculous. If it were just me, I wouldn't put up such a fight, but I'm not alone. I have children, so I'm extra pissed off about the excessive dropping, stomping, pounding, screaming, slamming, etc. These people are at it again, as usual, and I had to go out to my car to get something, and they were out side....... I wanted so badly to cuss them out, but I didn't. I just glared at each of them, rolled my eyes and shook my head. I doubt they get the hint. Retards. But seriously, isn't there something I can say to them? Like shut the hell up and move out already!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinFromColo View Post
Lol, Kim, you really are so cool. And funny. But most of all, HONEST.
Thanks for those kind words...sometimes that honesty gets me put in timeout because people just can't handle the truth.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinFromColo View Post
You may be right about almost all apartment buildings not being quiet. That's to be expected, but come on, in my situation, this is beyond ridiculous. If it were just me, I wouldn't put up such a fight, but I'm not alone. I have children, so I'm extra pissed off about the excessive dropping, stomping, pounding, screaming, slamming, etc. These people are at it again, as usual, and I had to go out to my car to get something, and they were out side....... I wanted so badly to cuss them out, but I didn't. I just glared at each of them, rolled my eyes and shook my head. I doubt they get the hint. Retards. But seriously, isn't there something I can say to them? Like shut the hell up and move out already!

But they aren't right. Your landlord should be the one dealing with this situation. Put a formal complaint. Call the police when it's happeneing after 10-11pm. Don't bother talking to them, or yelling or leaving a note..it will only make matters worse.

If they are outside and making noise there isn't much you can do unless the kids are running up and down the halls/stairs screaming like crazy people or if you're on the ground floor, peeking in your windows.

call the landlord and tell them what's going on..our complex has a website so we can just email requests and complaints in...it's great. Our manager makes a point to get back with you as soon as possible.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 14,494 times
I have tried everything with my neighbors including buying them dinner to let them know I am trying to do my papers for my masters and I need a break! It has not stopped. I do not think they are jerks they just weigh too much to be on the 3rd floor. I DISAGREE with teaching people how to walk. We can all tailor ourselves to walk more considerately and know how NOT to slam doors. No one in my bldg is a little kid that does not know better! My quality of life is awful lost sleep,lost job ops, cannot have my 1 y.o and my 4 yo nephews over to spend the night they can't sleep too much noise. My sister rarely visits because she has to stay in a hotel rather than my place because of the lack of sleep for her children. Moving is not an option I do not have the finances to move again in less than 6 mos. General principle I should not be forced to move when I am doing nothing wrong. I live on the 2nd fl and the neighbor below me doesn't have one complaint about my place.

Last edited by So over it; 10-23-2012 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 10-23-2012, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 14,494 times
I called my leasing office 5 days after I moved in because of my neighbors dragging furniture across the floor at 1:30am in the morning. They explained the neighbors didn't give them a phone number so they would have the maint guys leave a note. 1 month later I look outside and water is flowing over the 3rd fl balcony WHY the neighbors sprayed their balcony in lieu of sweeping the BBQ ashes off (D*mbA**es) meanwhile my furniture is 1500.00 and wet! Called the leasing office again they told me to call the police. I am not that kind of person besides if I called the police every time these people did crazy crap the police would need to get a unit in my bldg! Not to mention I don't want police presences around my residence all the time and I would think neither would the leasing office. I was told by the leasing office I need to call the police so they can keep the reports in my neighbors file and this would allow them to not let them to renew their lease. I do not want to look like the troublemaker or the neighborhood watch or have them accuse me of harassing them but I am not going to sit still and let these people continuously screw with my life and my sanity! The place is gorgeous the rent is high! My neighbors children are extremely obese. I have never seen a 10 y.o and a 15 y.o that never and I mean never leave the house except to go to school and during the summer NOT AT ALL! The grounds are great for kids to get outside. Take a min and imagine a 150lbs 10y.o that runs likes he is 2 inside on the 3rd floor and a 15 y.o with a severe case of ADHD that never leaves the house! I am a single mom and I have served my time my daughter is 22 y.o I do not want to have to be involved with raising somebody else's uncontrollable children! CONTROL YOURSELF AND YOUR CHILDREN! They better be glad I am not off my rocker and strangle them they next person may not be that nice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting