Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM

6 posts, read 11,158 times

Advertisements

It was both Kim! You have the same exact reply to every message. I wish you would get a life and quit trolling these forums already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 11:33 AM

12 posts, read 28,659 times
So here's my story. I just moved to a luxury expensive apartment in DFW area. I live on the second floor of 3 story building. Everything is good except my downstairs neighbor from hell. He seems to have problems tolerating any noise. I have a 3 year old who weights 30 pounds and he plays loudly and runs sometimes, but only during the day, mostly afternooon. My downstairs neighbor seems to be sleeping during these hours and keeps banging on my ceiling every time my son moves, literally everytime he makes a move. It is super annoying and my son gets scared every time he bangs (yes, it is that loud). I complained to the manager. The manager talked to him, no luck. Moreover, he complains about my son walking, but seems to be completely fine with turning his annoying pop music on so loud that I can hear the words of the song at 7 am every weekend.

Last edited by LanaScott; 10-22-2013 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 01:43 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaScott View Post
So here's my story. I just moved to a luxury expensive apartment in DFW area. I live on the second floor of 3 story building. Everything is good except my downstairs neighbor from hell. He seems to have problems tolerating any noise. I have a 3 year old who weights 30 pounds and he plays loudly and runs sometimes, but only during the day, mostly afternooon. My downstairs neighbor seems to be sleeping during these hours and keeps banging on my ceiling every time my son moves, literally everytime he makes a move. It is super annoying and my son gets scared every time he bangs (yes, it is that loud). I complained to the manager. The manager talked to him, no luck. Moreover, he complains about my son walking, but seems to be completely fine with turning his annoying pop music on so loud that I can hear the words of the song at 7 am every weekend.
[Note: this is to the most recent poster]

I'm not sure what you can do beyond complaining to the manager. I don't think I'd confront the guy if he's that touchy - it might escalate things. If he thinks his behavior is reasonable, you're not going to convince him otherwise. You could have a lawyer send him a "Cease and Desist" letter with wording about harassment, but it could backfire...

There's nothing wrong with a 3 yr old playing in the afternoon. If the building is built poorly enough to transfer a lot of noise between floors, that's not your fault. Your neighbor should probably try to move to a top floor unit.

You have my sympathies. Maybe you could just tell your son that "sometimes the floor makes noise. Isn't that silly?" and laugh it off so it doesn't scare him. I wish I could be more helpful.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Please call the cops.
That is the answer for LanaScott's recent post also.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
[Note: this is to the most recent poster]

I'm not sure what you can do beyond complaining to the manager. I don't think I'd confront the guy if he's that touchy - it might escalate things. If he thinks his behavior is reasonable, you're not going to convince him otherwise. You could have a lawyer send him a "Cease and Desist" letter with wording about harassment, but it could backfire...

There's nothing wrong with a 3 yr old playing in the afternoon. If the building is built poorly enough to transfer a lot of noise between floors, that's not your fault. Your neighbor should probably try to move to a top floor unit.

You have my sympathies. Maybe you could just tell your son that "sometimes the floor makes noise. Isn't that silly?" and laugh it off so it doesn't scare him. I wish I could be more helpful.
Hi, Thank you for your response and support. I did complain to the manager and I thought about drafting Cease and Desist Letter myself since I work in a legal field before my husband confronted him and informed him that next time he bangs on the ceiling, we will be calling the police. He stopped banging and now call the apartment manager and complains. It does not really bother me since I know we are not breaking any law and my son moves and plays during the day only. And, yes, I think the building is built poorly (I can hear my upstairs neighbors, but it does not bother me since it is the noise during the day time).

Now I just wish that he moves out soon and really glad that we have a garage where we keep both of cars.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM

122 posts, read 349,215 times
My downstairs neighbor who I am having issues with also complains that I make noise all through out the day. Total BS cause I am at work most of the day. According to him, I jump on the floors at all hours of the night. (WHY WOULD A WOMAN IN HER 20S BE JUMPING ON THE FLOOR?). According to him, he blasts his music full blast (making it sound like I am at a club) to blanket all the noise Im making. Apartment living really sucks

Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelle41 View Post
My downstairs neighbor who I am having issues with also complains that I make noise all through out the day. Total BS cause I am at work most of the day. According to him, I jump on the floors at all hours of the night. (WHY WOULD A WOMAN IN HER 20S BE JUMPING ON THE FLOOR?). According to him, he blasts his music full blast (making it sound like I am at a club) to blanket all the noise Im making. Apartment living really sucks
I understand you so well. My neighbor is a total nuts. Two days ago I called the cops. Cops were not helpful as according to the officer a neighbor had a legit complain. First, I called the police and second my son plays during the afternoon and not at the night time. Thus, no the neighbor does not have a legitimate complain. Te neighbor literally bangs every time my son moves. I believe now he just bangs for the hell of it. Recently he kept banging on his ceiling (my floor) after 9pm when my son was in his bed sleeping. Complains to the manager did not help since she informed me that they do not handle the issues arising from neighbors not liking each other. What a BS. I do not dislike a guy, I just want him to stop banging on the ceiling every time I/my son moves...I am thinking about drafting an official letter to a neighbor and the apartment management outlining Noise Ordinances of TX and how I do not break any law. Hopefully, it will help.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:49 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaScott View Post
I'd suggest adding extra rugs, particularly under the area your child plays in. Be proactive and do everything possible to mitigate the noise. I'd suggest a visit to a park to runoff steam after his nap every day might also be a good idea.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Old 11-02-2013, 06:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
How about we train the downstairs neighbor like you would a dog, for instance. Every time he bangs on the ceiling, increase the noise. Jump up and down, crank the stereo. In time, he will learn that banging on the ceiling makes things worse.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
How about we train the downstairs neighbor like you would a dog, for instance. Every time he bangs on the ceiling, increase the noise. Jump up and down, crank the stereo. In time, he will learn that banging on the ceiling makes things worse.
I'm guessing that would go down like a zinc cupcake with the other residents of the complex ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting