Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,447,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
believe me I WOULD have a kid deposit! NON REFUNDABLE!! some parents dont get it at times and they deserve to pay the price of haveing a rug rat .. the two worst groups IMO? bored toddlers who eat anyplace in the apt and spit milk and teenagers 13 to 16 age group they are ones who punch walls, spill ink paint and sneak ciggerets .. yeh yeh yell about how mean I am but those are the ones who drive me wild when the families move to "nicer" places yanno places the kids havent trashed yet ! that SD doesnt begin to cover the mess or damages and spit milk in window tracks ..

Then to make matters worse, move-out time, they don't even
clean up properly and cry about their security deposit refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 02:06 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,931,454 times
the parents dont clean up now! and I still gotta patch paint drywall and clean up after the kids ..
and then I gotta send back a deposit anyways ..or part of it ..Hummmm I could just triple my pet deposit LOL naw just being snide here but kids and pets are the ememy of any LL or building manager ..

Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csphillips18 View Post
The Pet Fee is pretty standard here in Atlanta too. Having a pet in an apartment is a privelege, not a right, and one that you have to pay for.

Sorry!

Pet deposits are non-refundable here as well.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:12 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,878,826 times
The only time we paid one is our first apt here in FL and it was because they gave us a coupon for half off the deposit. After that, I just never told them we pets.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,878,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Then to make matters worse, move-out time, they don't even
clean up properly and cry about their security deposit refund.
This is why ALL landlords should have them sign a written statement that they agree to have so much deducted from their deposit if certain things aren't cleaned. ie; we got charged $40 for not sweeping the floors, and the landlord mentioned they charge $35 to clean an oven (which I decided to do), but we risked missing our plane had I done the floors.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,931,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
This is why ALL landlords should have them sign a written statement that they agree to have so much deducted from their deposit if certain things aren't cleaned. ie; we got charged $40 for not sweeping the floors, and the landlord mentioned they charge $35 to clean an oven (which I decided to do), but we risked missing our plane had I done the floors.
I give a very detailed list of things I expect done at move out time just never put a price on them .. thats a reasonable thing tho IMO anyways .. how hard is it to start the cleaning for move out a week or so befor your out? I sometimes "encourage" that with some folks ( younger first time renters ..) just by scheduling a PRE move out walk thru with them to show them what I am gonna look at .. the oven and window tracks cuboard doors .. walls that need washed .. I dont expect a repaint job but if it comes down to that they can make my job easier by getting it paint ready ..
another gripe is smoke damage but again another thread ..

Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
When residents submitted there notice to vacate letters,
we would give them an item of charges cleaning list, so they knew in advance what
would be deducted from SD. $35. for ovens and fridg cleaning is fairly normal.

Last edited by virgode; 08-14-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: pghing

Old 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM

7 posts, read 13,153 times
if the cat is fixed, marking shouldn't a problem. A cat fixed at 6 months or younger, chances are even better especially the males. Cats can be spayed and neutered at 2 lbs or 8 weeks and it is done safely for over 30 years.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
I moved out from apartment and the manager told me that there is damages and they took from the deposit300$,i gave 300$pet fee unrefunable and they told me that this is fee not deposit and they can't take from it for damages on carpet because of the dog i had.soo!i didn't take no money from the 600 $ i gave.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,708,612 times
In CA a non refundable pet fee or deposit is illegal. Some landlord try to be dictators of their property, but they are still under the law. Even if you give then a check for a non refundable pet fee and sign that into you contract, you can take them to small claims court if you do not get the $300 back or if you do not get an itemized list with reciepts from the damage after 21 days. If they need to steam clean the carpet or anything else that is not normal wear and tear, then that should be itemized and the remainder, if any, must be returned or the tenant can sue for 3 times the illegaly witheld money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting