U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:11 AM

454 posts, read 1,202,243 times

Advertisements

hi,
i'm a LL renting out an apartment.
i wanted to know if it's 'normal' to check the conditions of my rented property from time to time....
i had done a lot of upgrades (wood floors, paintings, remodeled kitchen, etc.) so i want to make sure my tenants aren't making a mess.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
YAZ

7,067 posts, read 11,421,944 times
Call and ask.

I don't do "surprise" inspections, cuz....well....it's against the law in my state.

48 hr notice in AZ.

Also, it's just plain polite to let 'em know that you're comin' over.

We live close to our rental and we put in the lease agreement that we'd be on the premises to collect the rent every month.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,768,790 times
You own it and have a right to inspect just give them enough warning and don't make it too often where you become annoying.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Thanks.
i wasn't talking about "surprise" visits at all!

My purpose is not to stress them or make life harder on them. it is to ensure that my place stays clean and properly maintained.

How do i tell them that i'm trying to do this? i really don't know how to start the conversation or what to say once i do. suggestions? (nothing is in my contract regarding this). i live in VA.

is every 4 months appropriate?

Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM

15,676 posts, read 22,711,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
hi,
i wanted to know if it's 'normal' to check the conditions of my rented property from time to time....
i had done a lot of upgrades (wood floors, paintings, remodeled kitchen, etc.) so i want to make sure my tenants aren't making a mess.

Any ideas?
In apartment communities its considered normal, twice a year inspections,
notices are posted a week in advance, however, our state law is 48hr notice.

This gives you a chance to check things like plumbing and drains, fixtures,
and making sure smoke detectors are working, addressing concerns
isn't unreasonable.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 PM

4,229 posts, read 6,172,190 times
Quote:
How do i tell them that i'm trying to do this? i really don't know how to start the conversation or what to say once i do. suggestions? (nothing is in my contract regarding this). i live in VA.

is every 4 months appropriate?
Call them up on a monday, tell them something like, " I'll be in the neighborhood on saturday and I need to go in and change the smoke detector batteries and I need to get the serial number off the furnace(or whatever appliance you want to use as a cover) then go in nice and polite, do what you said you wanted to do.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM

28,381 posts, read 67,785,932 times
When renting out single families homes I have always used a clause for routine maintenance -- furnace filters need to be swapped out every 90 days to protect the motor from working too hard. I generally would remind tenants about a week or so from when I (or my handyman) was planning on coming out with a sort of plain photocopied letter and then call a few days ahead of time so that they would not be freaked out. You can't use the information you gather in such a visit to terminate the lease, but if you see something that is obviously being misused it is appropriate to remind the tenants that normal standard of care have to be part of their end of the agreement...

Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,353,282 times
Quote:
hi,

Any ideas?

Have you looked on this page? http://laws.uslandlord.com/laws/va.html
Seems like it gives information applicable for your state.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:28 PM

3,457 posts, read 16,636,399 times
Be up front and tell them...better yet, put it in writing that you are making an inspection. Every 6 months is usual, unless your state laws dictate something different.
Send a notice and give them at least 24 hours, or more, and show up. Look for things like batteries in smoke detectors, clean filters, working appliances, if they are yours. It's a normal and necesary job of being a LL.
In the future, put in a clause that inspections are done every 6 months. Spell out who is responsible for upkeep on apliances, batteries etc.
Always be up front and you will get a much better response.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Be up front and tell them...better yet, put it in writing that you are making an inspection. Every 6 months is usual, unless your state laws dictate something different.
Send a notice and give them at least 24 hours, or more, and show up. Look for things like batteries in smoke detectors, clean filters, working appliances, if they are yours. It's a normal and necesary job of being a LL.
In the future, put in a clause that inspections are done every 6 months. Spell out who is responsible for upkeep on apliances, batteries etc.
Always be up front and you will get a much better response.
thank you. Good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or