Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 81,242 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering can your section 8 be transfered to someone else that is on the lease with you?

I'm in a situation where I do not need section 8 anymore and want to hand it over to my 21 year old son. He has a job and wouldn't be able to pay the rent by himself. He is on the least with me, and while im going off I don't want to leave him high and dry.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
It is not transferable. He would need to apply on his own. And if your circumstances have changed so you know you are no longer eligible, you need to contact the Section 8 office immediately. not doing so could cause them to come back at you for any pverpayments they have made.

And if it's a two bedroom apartment, he's not going to get a section 8 voucher for that place unless he has dependents that live with him.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,878,354 times
I don't think he would be eligible for a Section8 voucher/unit unless he has dependents, a disability, or has recently been homeless. If there is a gap between what he earns per month and the cost of paying rent for himself, he should do what all other 21 year olds do- live with their parents (haha) or get a roommate(s) to help with the rent.
In any case, no, it is not transferable (why would it be?)- you applied for it using your social security number, your finances, etc.. If he thinks he would qualify for section8, he needs to apply using his own ss# and financial information.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,380,777 times
I have seen if happen twice with units I managed...

Both cases the certificate holder died and the certificate was transferred to another member of the household...

I would say no, in the situation you described.

Section 8 is primarily for low income families with minor children, the disabled and elderly... a 21 year old son without sole custody of minor children would not be eligible as I understand it.

One of the cases I referenced did not last a year... the 22 year old was ill equipped to be head of household with her 3 children... her mother, the deceased was the one that kept the family in order... when she passed the situation quickly deteriorated... the kids ended up in Foster Care and she lost her Grandmother's certificate that took a lot of work to get transferred to her.

Your son will probably need to do what many of us did at his age... get into a roomate situation or maybe a studio apt.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have seen if happen twice with units I managed...

Both cases the certificate holder died and the certificate was transferred to another member of the household...

I would say no, in the situation you described.

Section 8 is primarily for low income families with minor children, the disabled and elderly... a 21 year old son without sole custody of minor children would not be eligible as I understand it.

One of the cases I referenced did not last a year... the 22 year old was ill equipped to be head of household with her 3 children... her mother, the deceased was the one that kept the family in order... when she passed the situation quickly deteriorated... the kids ended up in Foster Care and she lost her Grandmother's certificate that took a lot of work to get transferred to her.

Your son will probably need to do what many of us did at his age... get into a roomate situation or maybe a studio apt.
Correct as I understand the eligibility requirement for Section 8 even though I've never had first hand experience of it. Even though your son was designated as required on the original lease as a joint lessee, you can't just transfer the responsibility to him. He was probably on the original Section 8 lease as a dependent son which allowed you to obtain Section 8 housing.

Kudos for being able to get off Section 8 and being totally honest about it. As Ultrarunner says, time for your son who now has a job to find a small space within his means. I understand your concerns for him but at 21 and being employed he can start fending for himself and start learning about being self-supporting and independent. Cheers and good luck!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 87,003 times
If he added additional persons on to his section 8 voucher and they have been added on to, can the people he added receive section 8 on their own if they were forced to move out. Additional persons would include mother of three young kids, all she has is food stamps, no employment as of yet, and is studying online for her associates?

Old 12-15-2011, 04:40 PM

831 posts, read 2,816,450 times
God I hope not. No way a 21 year old single male should get section 8.
If he can't afford rent, he needs to move with you.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
God I hope not. No way a 21 year old single male should get section 8.
If he can't afford rent, he needs to move with you.

I agree. Unless he's diabled, he's need to get his butt out there and get a job. I don't care if it's a day labor job...he can work and pay his own rent.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,071,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJames View Post
I was just wondering can your section 8 be transfered to someone else that is on the lease with you?

I'm in a situation where I do not need section 8 anymore and want to hand it over to my 21 year old son. He has a job and wouldn't be able to pay the rent by himself. He is on the least with me, and while im going off I don't want to leave him high and dry.
He will need to apply on his own, and since he does have a job, based on his own income, etc. If it is like my state, he will go on a list, if he meets the required quals. "Going off", is pretty ambiguous. Are you going to move, or going to be unable to take him?? If you are worried, you may want to have him move w/ you, even if he has to change jobs & eventually gets his own place. 21 is not the same 21 when I was younger, it isn't right, but most 21yr old's these days are ill prepared for independence it seems.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 77,791 times
Orange County CA. BELIEVE IT OR NOT SECTION 8 CERTIFICATES CAN BE TRANSFERED, however there is a criteria. It is called residual transfer not sure of the 2nd word.
Case in point: I had a grandmother who had custody of her grand children. She had a housing certificate and the children were listed as living there with her. Her adult son became ill and moved in with her. With the permission of landlord and hud housing she was added on. The grandmother was going to move out of state with the children and would have no need for housing any longer. The grandmother can transfer the certificate to him because..................
He had lived there for a period of 9 months or more. Both housing and landlord knew he was there. Grandmother would have to be the person to transfer it to him, and landlord agrees to let him continue with the certificate.
Make no mistake housing must know and approve of the other person living there, and be in the home for 9 months to a year.
Just an FYI for those who answered .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting