U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,168 times
Question Help me, I'm being harrassed by my landlord.

I am literally being harassed and constantly disrespected by my landlord. Her supervisor at the management agency makes excuses and justification for her behavior; that's if he decides to respond at all.

I moved into my current home in June of 2009 after initial problems with moving in because of management errors. Since then, my landlord has entered my unit without permission, my refrigerator went out on a Friday and she brought me a cooler on Sunday afternoon after all my food was already spoiled (which they have made no attemp to replace).

Debra (my landlord) came to my home the day I had surgery and was yelling and refused to leave, she is ignoring a maintenance request that I have been making since September. She literally kicks my screen door with her feet, and now she is stalking me over a parking space. My neighbor's visitors have a better parking space than I do and I'm a tenant (I have informed them that I'm not able to see my vehicle which is necessary because someone tried to break into my car). I've sent Debra's supervisor a message on Christmas eve after she made my children cry in my home. And as a result, Debra places a large sticker on the window of my vehicle to have it towed.

I've contacted homeline, the attorney general office, legal assistance at my school, and legal aid and everyone is telling me the same thing. I can take her to court and sue her or I can leave it alone. But I like my place, just not the landlord and I also don't like the lack of responsibility from the management agency.

Please help me, I'll take any advise that's offered to me. I need this to stop. My children are scared of the screaming lady and I am frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:30 PM

207 posts, read 468,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murial6 View Post
Debra (my landlord) came to my home the day I had surgery and was yelling and refused to leave...She literally kicks my screen door with her feet....My children are scared of the screaming lady and I am frustrated.
It's difficult to know, from your description, whether she is doing stuff that would warrant intervention from law enforcement. That's something you might judge for yourself and call the police if necessary. Otherwise, the best advice would be to move out. And if you say you don't want to move because you like the place...then, I'd be inclined to say that it can't be that bad then and that yes, you might as well get used to your landlord and try to develop a more functional relationship.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
It sounds to me like you are confusing your wants with the landlord's obligations. And frankly your words sound like you are exaggerating things a bit.

First of all, none of the situations you describe are 'disrespectful', at last not as most people use the term. 'Respect' is about individual qualities and character, whereas your LL is responding to your actions, demands, and behavior. It may be an unpleasant response, but they aren't required to be. It is just business.

The LL is also not required to provide you a parking space that you can see from your unit. They are not required to provide you one 'as nice' (whatever that means) as anyone else, tenant or otherwise. They are also allowed to enforce the parking rules including attaching a tow sticker to cars not parked in their assigned spots. Affixing a tow sticker does not qualify as 'stalking'.

LLs are required to make repairs in a reasonable time frame. It is reasonable that it will take several days to replace a major appliance. They aren't even required to provide temporary accommodations during that reasonable time frame but it sounds like they have done so in your case.

They can kick on the door if they want to, there's no law and likely not lease term that requires they use their knuckles to inform you of their presence at your door.

Keep a log of the LL's actions--times, dates, witnesses present, exact words said (as much as you can remember). Then submit that list to the management, and not on a holiday. If the management company is going to do anything, they will need something more objective and illustrative than your phone calls. But be prepared that they just aren't interested in making your living experience more enjoyable.

Frankly, if the only problem you've got is a LL who yells, that isn't that bad. Just reject her negative energy. Go about living your life as if she weren't there. And move when the lease is up.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 PM

2,676 posts, read 5,951,635 times
Call the broker and make an appointment to go into their office and have a face to face meeting with the broker and the property manager. Detail your complaints and tell them precisely what you would like to see done, in writing. Listen to their side of the story as reasonably as you expect them to listen to you.

If no solution works out that suits you, give Notice and move at your earliest opportunity.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:00 PM

5,163 posts, read 2,909,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
It sounds to me like you are confusing your wants with the landlord's obligations. And frankly your words sound like you are exaggerating things a bit.

First of all, none of the situations you describe are 'disrespectful', at last not as most people use the term. 'Respect' is about individual qualities and character, whereas your LL is responding to your actions, demands, and behavior. It may be an unpleasant response, but they aren't required to be. It is just business.

The LL is also not required to provide you a parking space that you can see from your unit. They are not required to provide you one 'as nice' (whatever that means) as anyone else, tenant or otherwise. They are also allowed to enforce the parking rules including attaching a tow sticker to cars not parked in their assigned spots. Affixing a tow sticker does not qualify as 'stalking'.

LLs are required to make repairs in a reasonable time frame. It is reasonable that it will take several days to replace a major appliance. They aren't even required to provide temporary accommodations during that reasonable time frame but it sounds like they have done so in your case.

They can kick on the door if they want to, there's no law and likely not lease term that requires they use their knuckles to inform you of their presence at your door.

Keep a log of the LL's actions--times, dates, witnesses present, exact words said (as much as you can remember). Then submit that list to the management, and not on a holiday. If the management company is going to do anything, they will need something more objective and illustrative than your phone calls. But be prepared that they just aren't interested in making your living experience more enjoyable.

Frankly, if the only problem you've got is a LL who yells, that isn't that bad. Just reject her negative energy. Go about living your life as if she weren't there. And move when the lease is up.
Wow, you must live in a really mean area! And one with terrible landlord-tenant laws.

When you rent from someone, you get the right to have the landlord provide notice prior to entering the unit. They cannot just come on over any time, kicking the door (if they damage the door, will they then expect the tenant to cover the cost?). If the landlord is yelling at you in your own home, even though you rent it from them, you can call the police.

This landlord, according to the OP, has also neglected a maintenance request made in September. This is January - does that sound reasonable? The refrigerator request, along with hot water heater, toilet leaks, and roof leaks, should be considered urgent, and dealt with within 24 hours. One would hope the landlord would take care of leaks much sooner. Stove, microwave, washer, dryer - these are not urgent, and it is reasonable to expect them to take a couple-few days.

You are very right about keeping records; everything should be written down with times and dates. As a matter of fact, I would consider videotaping/audiotaping all conversations (telling the landlord that I was doing so), if state/local law allows it.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:11 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Kicking in your door is breaking and entering. Sorry but you should of called the cops the day that happened. The parking lot thing, let that go. You get what you get as that is a lux kinda thing with renting. Insure your car if you are afraid of break ins or get a car alarm. It will keep petty thugs away.

The tow sticker...she can't just decide to do that if you have the space in your contract.

Really I would just move and fill out complaints on websites about how you were treated.

Its not worth your time to do other stuff.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:27 PM

11,996 posts, read 12,085,335 times
Posting warning and towing stickers is normal procedure when justified.

You might consider a club for the car, there definitely deterinents.
It saves policing and paying towing and storage fees.

There's no mention of the type of maintenance issue ignored, the best thing to do, is write a letter addressing the necessary repairs and allow a reasonable amount of time for response (keeping a copy for your records), mailout certificate of mailing or certified which ever you feel comfortable with, either is fine. Your within your rights to include the reimbursement for the loss of food items.

Your fridge would be considered an emergency, bringing in a cooler for the interum would not need a formal notice to enter.

There's not alot of excuses for unprofessional conduct, but it's not a perfect world.

Last edited by virgode; 01-17-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM

3,764 posts, read 4,439,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murial6 View Post
I am literally being harassed and constantly disrespected by my landlord. Her supervisor at the management agency makes excuses and justification for her behavior; that's if he decides to respond at all.

I moved into my current home in June of 2009 after initial problems with moving in because of management errors. Since then, my landlord has entered my unit without permission, my refrigerator went out on a Friday and she brought me a cooler on Sunday afternoon after all my food was already spoiled (which they have made no attemp to replace).

Debra (my landlord) came to my home the day I had surgery and was yelling and refused to leave, she is ignoring a maintenance request that I have been making since September. She literally kicks my screen door with her feet, and now she is stalking me over a parking space. My neighbor's visitors have a better parking space than I do and I'm a tenant (I have informed them that I'm not able to see my vehicle which is necessary because someone tried to break into my car). I've sent Debra's supervisor a message on Christmas eve after she made my children cry in my home. And as a result, Debra places a large sticker on the window of my vehicle to have it towed.

I've contacted homeline, the attorney general office, legal assistance at my school, and legal aid and everyone is telling me the same thing. I can take her to court and sue her or I can leave it alone. But I like my place, just not the landlord and I also don't like the lack of responsibility from the management agency.

Please help me, I'll take any advise that's offered to me. I need this to stop. My children are scared of the screaming lady and I am frustrated.
Is she a real estate agent or Realtor? Try contacting her licensing agency or Realtor organization. I'm not sure what its called maybe a real estate agent who frequents this board can answer.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:51 PM

15,457 posts, read 20,242,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

I couldn't have said it better!....

I was reading the OP post and was wondering what the bad thing was the LL was doing other than raising her voice, but there are always 2 sides to a story. How can you demand a specific parking place...I understand it is bad when you car is broken into, but unfortunately it happens...is the tenant watching her car 24/7, I don't think so...I hope she is locking her car!

My advise would be to do her self and her LL a favor and move when the lease is over...when a fridge breaks down the LL isn't laughing either and it was nice of her to bring over a cooler. Nowadays many companies had to lay off people and don't have enough employees for the work. I had called one time for an electrician (luckily I didn't need one after all) and was told that it would up to 2 weeks before one was available. That was shocking to me, and later I found out it was my tenant's own appliance that had caused the malfunction. Only after sending an email explaining that if his appliance was causing the issue he had to pay for the repair...that was when he all of sudden told me he would get it taken care of and when I checked on the issue it was indeed his appliance that caused the issue...

Old 01-17-2010, 06:38 PM

4,806 posts, read 11,606,986 times
Quote:
When you rent from someone, you get the right to have the landlord provide notice prior to entering the unit. They cannot just come on over any time, kicking the door (if they damage the door, will they then expect the tenant to cover the cost?). If the landlord is yelling at you in your own home, even though you rent it from them, you can call the police.
It's all in the details. OP didn't say the LL kicked in the door, they said the LL kicked on the door. Kicking on the door is not illegal. A LL damaging their own property is also not illegal.

And legally, when a tenant notifies the LL of needed repairs, that notification serves as the tenant's granting of permission for the LL to enter the apartment to make said repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting