Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 05:02 AM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Sometimes a new tenant feels like installing a new lock (either as an additional lock, or to replace the existing one) for security concern.

Would it seem a little rude or distrusting to ask the LL for permission to install a new lock?

Would most LL allow it? If yes, do they usually ask to get a key for themselves (LL)? If yes, why?
My tenants moved yesterday and the same day all locks were changed and brand new were installed the old ones are with the trash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,352,315 times
The owners definitely need a key, both to perform maintenance at your request, and for emergency access. Over the years, we have twice been the ones to discover, go in, and deal with emergency situations at rentals. Once, the tenant had gone out of town for a week, we drove by the house and saw water literally running out under the front door. You had better believe we went right in, without attempting to notify first.

In addition, multiple times over the years, I've had tenants lock themselves out of the house. Rather than calling a locksmith, they called me, and we were able to come out and let them in. (The first time is no charge) One of those times, the mother had locked herself out with her 2 year old alone in the house screaming.

As for whether or not a LL would be upset, that depends on the LL. We are all humans, which means we are all different. Most of us are normal people, but we can't know whether your LL would be upset, as we don't know them personally. From a business point of view, as long as you pay for it, you provide a key for emergencies, you don't damage anything in the changing out, and you give us back the old locksets and keys, I wouldn't care at all.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,497,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
I don't believe that is correct. Read your lease agreement, owners/property managers etc. have a right to enter upon reasonable notice, State laws may differ regarding timeframe for "notice of right to enter" so check it out.

I would almost insist on that lock change because if you do not, and the previous tenant had ill intent, you could become an instant victim.

As a previous owner of rental properties, I changed out and re-key locks with every tenant change/ lost key etc. and had all keys stamped..."DO NOT DUPLICATE"...it's no guarantee, but better than nothing......good luck !
There was nothing in the lease to prevent the owner from entering at will, in my case. That's one reason I got out there and sought something where the LL didn't literally live next door.

As far as the key thing goes--I've made keys for probably a dozen people between working at Wal-Mart and Home Depot. I never once looked at the key to see if it said "Do Not Duplicate" on it. I just needed to know what blank I needed.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,436,574 times
Living next door, no.....there are no drop-in-at-will states. A good reason to know the law and your states Landlord Tenants Code, so that you can advocate for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There was nothing in the lease to prevent the owner from entering at will, in my case. That's one reason I got out there and sought something where the LL didn't literally live next door.

As far as the key thing goes--I've made keys for probably a dozen people between working at Wal-Mart and Home Depot. I never once looked at the key to see if it said "Do Not Duplicate" on it. I just needed to know what blank I needed.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 PM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times
Thanks--all comments really helpful and informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Apartment dwellers may not be aware, some property managers rotate locks after the tenant vacates for this reason.
I knew someone who was a landlord and when a tenant moved out, he replaced the lock with an older lock which used to be installed there. They just alternate the same few locks, to save expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Rather than calling a locksmith, they called me, and we were able to come out and let them in. (The first time is no charge)
After the first time you charge them for asking you for help? (sounds reasonable, though, but I never thought of that)

Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,025,835 times
Some things which are specified by statute are not enumerated in a lease - redunancy.

So, if something is not specified, check your state's landlord-tenant statues (usually accessible online). I am not 100% positive, but it is my belief that all states have some kind of reasonableness written into landlord accessibility/entry into an apartment with an exception of emergencies. In otherwords, I think in all states, a landlord is required to give REASONABLE (some say 24 hrs) notice of entry EXCEPT in emergency where no notice is required. Emergency - smoke coming out the windows, water pouring down the stairs, smell of gas in hallway, etc.

It really behooves people, to check out the LT laws in their state - whether landlord or tenant. So much misunderstanding could be alleviated.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,352,315 times
Quote:

After the first time you charge them for asking you for help? (sounds reasonable, though, but I never thought of that)
It does cost us money for both gas and time to drop whatever we are doing, go across town to let them in. For some of our rentals, that can be as much as an hour round trip. In most cases, we have to close our office to do so, which means potential lost business. If it happens more than once, we encourage them to hide a key somewhere, or make a spare for a relative or trusted friend, so that that person can be their emergency go-to. Plus, almost all of our rentals have access through the garage and the garage doors have keypad entry, so they would almost have to lock themselves out on purpose. Once is an accident, twice is annoying, three times is a habit. So yes, we do charge for after the first occurrance. I guarantee it is cheaper for them than calling a locksmith would be.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:07 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,178,998 times
Quote:
Thanks. How would a LL feel if the new tenant asks about this?
I would not care as long as you returned my locks to me with all keys and furnished me with a new set of keys and that you understand that the new locks stay with the house when you move and that you have to return all keys to me.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
When I moved to my building there were locks already on the door, so i asked the LL for the keys, he said I will give them to you, but I suggest you change the locks as he was not sure who had keys for them. So, I said OK, and when the apartment was ready I had a locksmith come and change the locks. The LL never asked for a key, which is good, because i am not giving anyone I do not know a key. Sorry. Emergency, then climb up the fire escape and break the window, but giving a key, sorry. No.
When I moved I gave him my keys and moved to a bigger apartment in the same building. We never had any problems, BTW there are 32 apartments in the building and the LL does not ask for keys.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
When I moved to my building there were locks already on the door, so i asked the LL for the keys, he said I will give them to you, but I suggest you change the locks as he was not sure who had keys for them. So, I said OK, and when the apartment was ready I had a locksmith come and change the locks. The LL never asked for a key, which is good, because i am not giving anyone I do not know a key. Sorry. Emergency, then climb up the fire escape and break the window, but giving a key, sorry. No.
When I moved I gave him my keys and moved to a bigger apartment in the same building. We never had any problems, BTW there are 32 apartments in the building and the LL does not ask for keys.
Whatever your LL might do (and I find it amazing that he does not have keys for emergencies - if there's a fire in your apartment, he's putting the other tenants at risk if he can't get in or provide quick access to fire personnel, say), there ARE laws in effect in most places regarding such access, and the responsibility (and legal liability) is not solely on the back of the LL. You, as the tenant, can be legally required to give access (via a key with the landlord - you know, the person who actually owns the place you're living in) for emergency and non-emergency (repairs, say) purposes. So, if you feel so strongly about this, you might want to start saving up a down payment to purchase a home where you DO have the legal right to deny keys to anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting