U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Earth
1,480 posts, read 2,816,000 times
Reputation: 1354
When I did property management, I was always skeptical when the prospect was in a big hurry to move. I know life happens, but more often, needing a place to move into immediately is the result of one of many poor life-decisions.

Any request for a rush approval should get screened extra close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM
JS1
 
1,899 posts, read 3,848,609 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
To call this list stupid is for me a reason to believe you just writing it to say something. Specially that last remark about the income a tenant has....the list is about reason for a red flag not to take you by the hand and tell you who you should rent to or who not, but signs that should be a warning signal.
Because putting something like "tenant refuses to agree to the lease" on this list is being the master of the obvious, why isn't "unverifiable income" on the list?

Quote:
Criminal record...you mentioned driving over 40 miles per hour is a crime, well let me tell you that I think it is ridiculous to drive 40 miles over the speed limit and a danger to many, and I rather don't have a person like that. Most people had in their life time of driving ones or more times a ticket, but a criminal record for driving is for sure something different than a speeding ticket or a seatbelt ticket...


ughs... driving 45 MPH in a 40 zone is speeding by 5 MPH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
 
3,199 posts, read 3,589,348 times
Reputation: 3222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I disagree with not renting because of criminal history. I believe that it is discrimination.

If a person has paid his debt to society, unless the law says he can't be in a certain area (ex. child predators) their criminal record should have no bearing.

People wonder why the recidivism rates are so high, it's partially because people have such a hard time starting over because no one will give them a chance.
Paying a penalty for something he did does not turn a criminal into an honest, responsible person. And that's why the recidivism rates are so high.

Most landlords are not running social programs. Some landlords are willing to rent to those with criminal histories; some aren't. And it's okay either way. The owners are the ones to decide what risks they want to take with their investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Nova, D.C.,
1,222 posts, read 2,218,303 times
Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
This list is pretty stupid.

Bankruptcy
Do you know what a person has to go through before deciding to declare bankruptcy? It can sometimes be years of dodging creditors and bill collectors. It is a process that teaches an individual how to get around paying creditors. It is not a pleasant experience, and it usually educates and hardens a person towards all creditors.
The author conveniently ignores the fact that most bankruptcies are from divorce, job loss, or medical bills. Nah, let's just paint them all with a broad brush that they're all scam artists.

I don’t mean to say people who have gone bankrupt are not nice people or will not be good tenants! I mean to say that I prefer not to rent to people who are well educated on filing bankruptcy and are not afraid to damage their credit.
People who are well educated on bankruptcy doesn't do so frivolously like you think. Also, their credit score improves after filing because the person's debt is zero.

Prior Eviction
Any tenant who has been evicted probably has very bad credit and may feel confident in gaining a few months free rent in an eviction should the need arise. true, although that has nothing to do with bad credit

Criminal History
I’ve been asked by a few landlords, “Am I allowed to discriminate against someone with a criminal history?” Of course you can! Yes, it is legal to decline an applicant because they have a criminal record.
It may be politically correct to decline criminals, but Criminals are not a protected class…. Yet.
Criminy, use some judgment. It's a crime to drive 45 in a 40 zone.

No Money
Are you a landlord who needs to collect the rent? Or are you a charity who takes in unfortunates who don’t have all the required move-in money?
If you want to survive in the landlord business, you need tenants who can afford to move in and pay the rent every month.
It is a major RED FLAG when a prospect is unable to provide you with the necessary security deposit and rent.
obviously

Bad Credit
What is the purpose of running a credit report on a prospective tenant? You’d be surprised at how many landlords run credit reports that come up BAD and still accept the applicant anyway. For me, bad credit history is a sure denial. Otherwise, why bother running a credit report?
So that you can see if debts are for prior rentals. Trying being a landlord instead of a loan officer.

Tenant Unable or Unwilling to provide satisfactory references
If they’re not willing or able to comply with your rental application, why in the world would you expect them to follow the rules of your lease?
Depends on how much value you put into references.

Tenant unwilling to agree with your lease
That’s a no-brainer. DECLINED!
That's cheating, just for the purpose of making a list. Is it even possible to decline someone who won't sign a lease?

Bad Attitude
That’s a no-brainer. DECLINED!
yeah

Alcohol and/or Drug Problem
I know you want to be fair and help people, but steer clear of these kinds of problems. You are looking for a responsible tenant who you can rely on.
You drug test your prospective tenants?

Smoking
This is a judgment call. I try to keep my properties smoke free whenever possible. I find it is difficult to rent a unit to non-smokers that had smokers in it before. Rental re-prep involves a vacancy and is usually more painting and cleaning, and still may not eliminate the odor.
ok

Pets
This is also a judgment call. I try to keep my properties pet free. I learned that it can be difficult to rent after a pet was there, for allergy reasons, odors, etc. Rental re-prep usually includes more painting and cleaning and often new carpeting, and still may not eliminate all the odors.
On occasion when I have great applicants and have inspected the previous home and the pet, I may make an exception, but I am still reminded of the immortal words of my landlord mentor, Nick Koon: "No dog every improved the value of a rental property."
ok, although refusing pets will somewhat decrease the value of your rental property because you're going to have to lower the rent to get a tenant, and poor people living in your house will drag down property values

Tenant Unable or Unwilling to see the rental personally or meet landlord before application being accepted
Big RED FLAG. Do a search of "Scams" in the LPA Landlord Q&A Forum.
Even if the tenant is legit, you should not be deprived of the right to do a proper screening, including the opportunity to meet the prospect so you can decide if you will be comfortable renting to him or her.
that seems pretty picky to call it a "red flag", unless your property is in the ghetto, in which case meeting with someone first is important

To top it off, the author didn't say anything about the tenant's income! Is it on a hidden page on that web site or is the author some kind of moron?
This list is way to strict. The only tenant that would be bad is a sex offender or a violent offender. Many people have bad credit, me for one. I lost my job, but lived in my apartment for eight years and the other apartment for seven. I do not think credit is even a big thing. I have bad credit now and live in an apt and pay my rent on time, am clean and quiet and a great tenant. I think those tenant screening companies are so absurd, as they do not focus on the person, just scales of credit worthiness. The world is much more complicated for everything to be so black and white. As for the no pet rule, that is just not human. Some people, as myself, live alone and enjoy are pets. I pay a pet deposit and my pet is very clean and trained. I think tenant screening needs to be on a case to case basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
 
Location: In the sticks, SC
1,642 posts, read 2,804,403 times
Reputation: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Paying a penalty for something he did does not turn a criminal into an honest, responsible person. And that's why the recidivism rates are so high.

Most landlords are not running social programs. Some landlords are willing to rent to those with criminal histories; some aren't. And it's okay either way. The owners are the ones to decide what risks they want to take with their investments.
Generalize much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:25 PM
 
3,614 posts, read 2,634,801 times
Reputation: 3137
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I was a landlord for a few years. The best tenants I had just filed bankruptcy before moving in. They were very polite, fixed minor things on their own, paid on time and kept the place clean. Sometimes you have to go with your gut.

bless you--bankruptcy does not mean bad tenants-----could also mean bad divorce from a destructive mate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM
 
2,971 posts, read 3,493,137 times
Reputation: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
perhaps if you have a sheriffs website you can try to look them up if they had any warrants or pervious arrests for DUI or drugs...

I check that website for their previous address and outstanding warrants and check if their DL is valid...My tenants was valid when he moved in but soon after it was suspended...due to not showing up in court for outstanding tickets...

YOu don't rent to people with DUI(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 PM
 
4,806 posts, read 11,394,783 times
Reputation: 4557
Quote:
When I did property management, I was always skeptical when the prospect was in a big hurry to move. I know life happens, but more often, needing a place to move into immediately is the result of one of many poor life-decisions.
Yeah, like getting a transfer from work. Or moving to take care of a relative experiencing sudden health difficulties. Or just returning from the Peace Corps. Or people who've been looking but just haven't found a decent place to live well before their previous lease is up. Or not getting proper notice about rent increases from their landlord prior to lease expiration.

Yeah, people who need to move quickly are real baddies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Mandarin)
1,636 posts, read 2,760,474 times
Reputation: 721
Short notice move-in's have been the majority of my inquiries lately. I don't frown upon them, but I definitely make sure not to take any shortcuts in my screening process. And, no, I don't care if you're willing to pay 6 month's of rent up front, if I'll forgo my process. The landlord is my client, not the applicant, and I work in their best interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 AM
 
15,385 posts, read 19,863,664 times
Reputation: 6434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
YOu don't rent to people with DUI(s)?
Nope, haven't rented to any one with a record so far since I had plenty of people who had better records...I didn't even had to look that far.

I don't care too much about the bad credit depends on how bad and the reason why.

Since my properties are in the best locations I have the luxury to choose the person with the best credentials based on income, etc....

I don't rent to people who start asking if they can pay the security deposit in several payments.

I do rent to people with pets

And I never I had my places empty for longer than a week just to clean and fix things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top