Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times

Advertisements

Do you rent the place without blinds or window treatment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,489 times
I just got new tenants and i told them that every 3 months, i will be checking their place "for preventive maintenance" purposes....but the main behind the scenes reason is to make sure they're not TRASHING my condo!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Do you rent the place without blinds or window treatment?
If you were asking me yes I do

Old 02-19-2010, 02:58 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
We used to put up curtains, drapes and blinds until we realized every time they were trashed, I mean every time. We started getting basic blinds, they were trashed too. So now, no, the windows are bare.
We have another house in a different area which is rented with window coverings and, so far, have not been ruined.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
I just want to say we have rented for years and never trashed any of the apartments. We've cleaned them better than move in condition, in some cases. The landlords couldn't be bothered cleaning up pet hair, dust, cobwebs, whatever and WE did it before moving in.

We have some pigs where we live now (big complex). I am home all day and see it all the time. Junk stored on the porch, bikes left out. The biggest shock is how many people must 'run out on their leases.' The cleaning staff pulled out 7 garbage bags full of bottles and cans from one place. Another guy left his air conditioner, barbecue, and numerous other things.

I don't blame landlords for being angry but there are good tenants. We have a dog and a child and neither are allowed to 'trash' or destroy anything here.

Some landlords are GREEDY and will take anyone with $$. Also you need to screen people a little better (this is a general rant, not for the OP). Guy looks like a criminal, be suspicious...

Old 02-20-2010, 02:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
My dad used to have a few rentals. He would check out their car while talking to them in the yard. The inside cleanliness of the car would let him know if they were someone he would rent to or not.

Oddly enough, to this day....I totally clean every inch of my car before visiting my parents.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
I have always cleaned my apartments perfectly and when I lived in them, I was very clean. I always got my security deposits back too!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My dad used to have a few rentals. He would check out their car while talking to them in the yard. The inside cleanliness of the car would let him know if they were someone he would rent to or not.

Oddly enough, to this day....I totally clean every inch of my car before visiting my parents.
I also checked out the previous house (by driving by) and yard of tenants before renting to them.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
We used to put up curtains, drapes and blinds until we realized every time they were trashed, I mean every time. We started getting basic blinds, they were trashed too. So now, no, the windows are bare.
We have another house in a different area which is rented with window coverings and, so far, have not been ruined.
The first thing we did in our new rental was take down all of the curtains and bamboo blinds he had installed and put them in nice, airtight bags and put them into storage. One of our dogs shredded a roll up blind at our last place and it cost us $300 to replace it We felt sooooo bad that our dog did it, that we ended up replacing most of the roll-ups so they would all match.

Now, we just use our own, and when we move we'll put up the originals in perfect condition.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

I ahve heard that many times before also. Check their car. If it is filled with trash, thats the way they will live also.

d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting