Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:49 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,113 times

Advertisements

It seems that most lease templates you can find online are landlord-friendly.

What about tenant-friendly lease terms: ones that protect the tenant against various abuse: doing renovations while the tenant is there, causing damage to the tenants property, miscommunications with the HOA that cause problems, etc.?

Links, tips, etc. would be appreciated. I don't exactly want to pay a lawyer $400/hour to draft the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Are you a landlord or a tenant? If you're a tenant, you will have to find a landlord willing to sign your lease.

I used this book and the forms that come with it. They're easy to read and very fair to both sides, in my opinion:

The California Landlord's Law Book - Legal Book - Nolo

Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Tenants don't write leases, owners/managers do. Unless you are the rare exception, no landlord would write a lease favoring the tenant, and no landlord would accept a lease written by the tenant unless that tenant is the federal government (their lease, take it or leave it).

Old 10-22-2015, 08:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Well, tenants always have the right to negotiate terms. A contract has two parties after all. A tenant can always ask to have something changed, or just not sign it.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 PM

There are exceptions, like new landlords; also rural areas, where you could spend a lot of time looking for tenants to come along.

By the way, why would the gov have a better negotiating position? The only thing I can think of is that the LL expects the lease to be well-written, in compliance with the law. Other than that, the tenant could say the same thing, assuming he has other options: take it or leave it.

In CA, if a lease agreement contradicts the law, the law prevails.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Are you a landlord or a tenant? If you're a tenant, you will have to find a landlord willing to sign your lease.

I used this book and the forms that come with it. They're easy to read and very fair to both sides, in my opinion:

The California Landlord's Law Book - Legal Book - Nolo
So, it gives the landlord the right to enter the property to inspect it for "waterbed violations". He can apparently do it as often as he likes.

How is the tenant protected by this lease form at all?

If tenants were writing leases in this Nazi fashion, they'd have clauses like:

The landlord acknowledges that entering the unit without an invitation risks being mistaken for an intruder, and so the landlord shall hold the tenant harmless from liability for any injuries or death that may result.

etc.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
A lease protects both parties by laying out rights, responsibilities, and expectations.

To your examples: wouldn't you want a nicely-renovated unit? If your property is inadvertently damaged, that's what renter's insurance is for. Or if the damage was intentional, there are civil or potentially criminal penalties for that whether the vandal is your landlord or some random individual off the street. And I'm not sure what legal clause could force your landlord not to have "miscommunications" with you, aside from a normal lease that explicitly states the rights, responsibilities, and expectations.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:52 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Talking lol...

well, this has been entertaining...
Koale

Old 10-23-2015, 11:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
So, it gives the landlord the right to enter the property to inspect it for "waterbed violations". He can apparently do it as often as he likes.

How is the tenant protected by this lease form at all?

If tenants were writing leases in this Nazi fashion, they'd have clauses like:

The landlord acknowledges that entering the unit without an invitation risks being mistaken for an intruder, and so the landlord shall hold the tenant harmless from liability for any injuries or death that may result.

etc.
Godwin's Law in 5 posts...Way to go.

Most leases have a 24 hour non emergency entry clause, especially in CA (I would guess.)

I don't know what your stick is...but as a tenant I don't think the following, from the CA Civil code, is unreasonable:

"A. A landlord may enter the dwelling unit only in the following cases:
1. In case of emergency.
2. To make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations or improvements, supply
necessary or agreed services, or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual
purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors or to make an inspection
pursuant to subdivision (f) of Section 1950.5.
3. When the tenant has abandoned or surrendered the premises.
4. Pursuant to court order"

Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
It seems that most lease templates you can find online are landlord-friendly.

What about tenant-friendly lease terms: ones that protect the tenant against various abuse: doing renovations while the tenant is there, causing damage to the tenants property, miscommunications with the HOA that cause problems, etc.?

Links, tips, etc. would be appreciated. I don't exactly want to pay a lawyer $400/hour to draft the lease.
Sorry, Max, but this landlord would move on to the next applicant if I had one wanting to use their own lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting