Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerdss View Post
I live in a two family house, upstairs with my wife. I own half the house and my sister owns the other half in which she lives downstairs.. If I had to leave my top floor apartment due to c a job change, could I rent out my apartment as income without my sister approval
diggerdss
Welcome to city-data

I know you think your post is related the original one but it is generally considered better form if you just start a new thread with your question.

Since rental laws are very state specific, it would help if you provided your state.

You might want to clarify what a two family house means.

If it is a duplex with two separate deeds, it is probably OK for you to rent without permission from the other deed holder (sister)

If it is a duplex with a single deed(with its own entrance and no common area) , I am not sure.

If it shares living space or you can access one area from the other, it probably is not OK to rent without your sister's permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 05:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
I live in a two family house, upstairs with my wife. I own half the house and my sister owns the other half in which she lives downstairs.. If I had to leave my top floor apartment due to c a job change, could I rent out my apartment as income without my sister approval
Not likely that she can have any say. If a separate parts of a property are owned by different people, they can only have influence over each other via a condo board or association. If there's no association, what do the deeds say about 'common' issues like the roof and the exterior walls and such. There has to be some language that defines how these things are resolved. It's still not likely that she can prevent you from renting, or have input on who you rent to, but you still need to check.

Now there may be other obstacles. For instance in many areas, the property owner has to file for a general business license, to rent out a unit. Its pretty simple, but you still have to do it, and the penalties for skipping this step are severe.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
There are many rental companies and LL's who run a scam by taking application money and finding something to reject the application entitling them to the application fee. If they request a deposit at the same time as the application is taken then you better think twice.

There is another scam where LL's and property management companies take several applications at the same time pocketing the non-refundable fees from people who they have no intention to renting.

Make sure you know who your LL is. Check local sexual predator databases especially if you have children. Your new LL could be peepin' Tom or pedophile Pete.

Never trust a landlord.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
donsabi - every post of yours ends with the admonition, "Never trust a landlord". I am sure that most current and past landlords could say the same thing about tenants so the comment is a little redundant ... I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences that all LLs have to be tarred with the same brush!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verio View Post
We do have our own realtor, but the property manager called us back directly and wasn't very friendly at all. Refused to negotiate on anything about the security deposit or writing on the application.

There is currently no stove located in the property, but she stated via email they would purchase one, once someone placed a deposit. I asked for her to put that on the application, but she refused.

This is a huge red flag and to me a big NOOOOOOO!

Any management company not willing to write down what they are stating over the phone, can't be trusted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting