Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So this is your best reply? Blaming the OP when the landlord is doing something illegal? lol
I didn't blame the OP for the LL's actions, I did suggest that there are a lot of excuses being employed to discount all reasonable (if not completely equitable) solutions. Yes, it isn't fair. Life's not fair. Obviously the OP needs to consult a lawyer given that a judge has already ruled. Shouldn't have to incur that expense either, but again fair is not really relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM

146 posts, read 711,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Yanno what I would do at this point? I would be outside and talking to the mailcarrier very politely and telling them that the other person doesnt live there .. and you feel they are doing something illegal by using your legal address .. .. MOST mailcarriers are decent sorts and will make a note of who lives where after you have told them some one doesnt live at that address .. infact you can sign a card that says return to sender .. .. thats not so hard to do .. and would bring to a grinding halt the crap deal you have going .. also explain to the carrier that your worried that some one might steal YOUR mail and movies .. which is a fedural offense ..
you could also call your state AG and complain about the strange mail deal .. ..and ask why any LL could do that .. yanno you can stir stink without doing alotta extra work .. by just talking to the right folks .. ..
I didn't know that there was a return to sender card. I'll definitely keep an eye out for my mail carrier to run it by him.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder if his mail starting to "go missing" if he would have different thoughts about this.

Ten foot pole. That's a Federal offense. Not even smart.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Yanno what I would do at this point? I would be outside and talking to the mailcarrier very politely and telling them that the other person doesnt live there .. and you feel they are doing something illegal by using your legal address .. .. MOST mailcarriers are decent sorts and will make a note of who lives where after you have told them some one doesnt live at that address .. infact you can sign a card that says return to sender .. .. thats not so hard to do .. and would bring to a grinding halt the crap deal you have going .. also explain to the carrier that your worried that some one might steal YOUR mail and movies .. which is a fedural offense ..
you could also call your state AG and complain about the strange mail deal .. ..and ask why any LL could do that .. yanno you can stir stink without doing alotta extra work .. by just talking to the right folks .. ..

Problem is this is an apparently nasty landlord and he has a key to the mailbox. Who knows what he might pull with the OP's mail.

And tilli, if everyone caved the way you want the OP to there would not be any renters rights in this country. Someone, sometime, has to say no.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Seems a bit of a waste of time if the OP is moving in a few months.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,839 times
problem is .. the LL isnt fair and honestly has no right to use that mail box .. what the stupid judge was thinking by saying the idiot had a right to a key was poorly thought out .. I'm thinking that the judge was under the impression that the key was to be a back up in case the tenant lost thier key .. to let the LL use the mailbox is a really dumb thing .. somthing isnt right .. so MY happy self would be waiting for the mailman and have an ink pen in hand to write return to sender/ not at this address and hand the mail back to the mailguy right then.. there is nothing agaisnt the law about that .. your doing nothing wrong and nothing illegal .. and that way the mailman knows .. as for the LL touching your mail .. he is the one in trouble if he changes the lock or send yours back .. you have a lease at that address and are supposed to be getting your mail at that address ..

Old 03-05-2010, 02:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
Why can't 2 boxes be purchased and set up and then you wouldn't have to see his and vice versa.

I know why he does it, he does it because he can. Probably gets mail from far away people who he doesn't want them to know he has a PO Box or that his life hasn't changed.

I did the same thing with a landlord I had, it was no big deal to me since he bought one of those double box's. Make it double side lock if your afraid he's going to look at your mail.
Good luck

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
Quote:
And tilli, if everyone caved the way you want the OP to there would not be any renters rights in this country. Someone, sometime, has to say no.
It's not about caving, it's about taking reasonable actions to solve your issues. So what is your suggestion for how to legally prevent the LL from having access to the OP's mail, keeping in mind that a judge has already ruled for the LL on the matter?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:58 PM

146 posts, read 711,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
It's not about caving, it's about taking reasonable actions to solve your issues. So what is your suggestion for how to legally prevent the LL from having access to the OP's mail, keeping in mind that a judge has already ruled for the LL on the matter?
He doesn't legally have access to the mailbox. The judge was mistaken. USPS confirmed I'm within my rights to change the lock based on the fact that I live here and he is accessing my mail, which would raise a red flag. He would have a hard time changing it yet again.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backandforth83 View Post
He doesn't legally have access to the mailbox. The judge was mistaken. USPS confirmed I'm within my rights to change the lock based on the fact that I live here and he is accessing my mail, which would raise a red flag. He would have a hard time changing it yet again.
But still, whether the judge was right or wrong, the judgement was made in favor of the LL ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting