Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM

3 posts, read 32,947 times

Advertisements

We recently received a letter from our HOA informing us there are new rules regarding the parking situation.

Essentially, they want copies of:

1. Current lease agreement
2. Current vehicle registration
3. Proof of current auto insurance

Does the HOA have any legal authority to require these private documents?

Do they have any burden of proof, demonstrating the safe handling, storage, access to, and security of these documents?

In order to have any legal weight, shouldn't these copies be certified from the issuing authority?

It seems they are over-stretching their powers, for a seemingly simple task.
This should simply require "Name, Address, Contact # - Vehicle Description / Make-Model / Plate#" .. And a bit of common sense.. Tags can be verified if they're current by just looking at the plates..

This is an extremely small community, everybody knows everybody. It seems more like a ploy to see what people are renting their homes for.

See image:

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

- Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 09:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
If you state does not specifically prohibit such things (I really doubt they would) then the HOA is almost certainly able to collect the info. I further doubt that they really care what the units are renting for, and are more concerned that there too many cars and not enough spaces. Some one might have had a bad experience with a two bed room having two couples and four cars or something similar.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,800 times
California I do not know but Florida yes My HOA does it to make it a Pain In the ass to rent a house because we do not want rented houses

Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
They are allowed to do so. One of our HOA's does the same. They do it because of many HO and renters claiming to many cars as guest cars. By registrating the renters cars as well as the HO cars they know which car belongs at which home and if one of the cars is parked in the guest car parking they can tow it...all thanks to some HO and renters who misused the system...

Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
Jeez, yet another reason I would live in a tent before a HOA.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM

Going to try'n devour some of the actual legal powers and limitations HOA's have.
I have a feeling, there's a lot of 'assumed' power, but not real legal power.

CALIFORNIA CODES CIVIL CODE SECTION 1350 (http://www.pmlvoice.com/pml/images/Davis%20Stirling/DS%20TOC.htm - broken link)

Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Jeez, yet another reason I would live in a tent before a HOA.
Everything my HOA does is something I would do anyway and I knew all the rules when I bought my home so there is no issue. What things do they enforce that you would not do anyway

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,051,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
Everything my HOA does is something I would do anyway and I knew all the rules when I bought my home so there is no issue. What things do they enforce that you would not do anyway

It is not the issue of what I would not do, but an issue of the rules in the first place. I have never lived in an HOA, as I refuse to live in an area that has rules for "my" property.

I don't need some insecure HOA boss telling me to weed my grass, cut it every week, what to not park on my property, what color to paint my house (the part that isn't vinyl) so I might not mistake it for the 200 other houses that look exactly the same, what kind of fence to install, and the list goes on.

I hate everything about HOAs. Some people like their lives micromanaged. However, I do not. The government gives me enough rules to follow like a "good citizen", I don't need any more.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM

Oh, don't get me wrong.

I fully agree that parking spaces, and several other HOA doings are things that should be enforced.
But the invasion of privacy isn't needed to achieve them.

Additionally, these are New rules, not rules which were in place while moving in, hence the reluctance to immediately comply. I would like to know what the HOA's legal limitations are.

An extreme example would be requiring a urine sample to ensure the neighborhood/tenants are drug-free to provide a safe environment. Surely that's excessive? I'm sure everyone has their own personal view on what is excessive to them.

To me, requiring personal contract information, and personal insurance records, etc, is excessive. These rules were not in place when I moved into the community 8 years ago, and now they are trying to implement them in a somewhat excessive manner. Again, my opinion. That's why I would like to know the actual law. Not just what people accept.

The rules are fine, it's just about how they go about enacting and enforcing them.

Thanks for the continued responses!

- Joe

Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
My parents live in a above avg housing community & the HOA are discusting. Its almost like they live in stalag 13. I hate going their & i havent in months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting