Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 AM

13 posts, read 29,165 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm renting an apt in a landlord's home. I live in the basement.
I have become unemployed and I am also filing for disability due to illnness/blindness. I have informed my landlord that I will pay him the owed rent (only I havent paid this month-March yet)....and he informs me he wont pay the mortgage and he'll call his bank and tell them he'll be late too.
He works 2 jobs and is obviously not disabled. I am supporting his family by paying thier mortgage that they take no responsibility for. He refuses to allow his wife to work since they are Muslim.
Their inability or willingness to pay the mortgage should not be on my shoulders should it? Even if it is not now and the place becomes forclosed, can he sue me and say it was my fault for him foreclosing even though I have no income and am waiting on unemployment/disability to kick in?
Also if the toilet needs plunged every month (not by hand plunger...a little cranking machine) I know that is not normal. but if it is his home technically even though I am the rentee, is he still liable for bad plumbing? I've had problems with the toilet ever since I moved here, but I cannot just move as easily as anyone can because I am legally blind and cannot drive, let alone move so easily.
What can be done about this mess so I dont end up homeless? Because I'm pretty sure in most states, including MA, if a bank forecloses on property, I'm SOL. Is there anything I can do now to protect myself? (besides moving which I already know but am unable to do so now due to no income to hire movers and no friends in the area).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 03:04 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
He works 2 jobs, you haven't paid your rent and you are going to say that you are supporting his family and paying the mortgage?

Really?

I am not saying he is right for not paying his mortgage but if he relies on the rent payment to be able to make ends meet then you not paying rent could factor in.

Disability can take 2 years to get, what do you plan on doing for money for that time period? Do you expect him to wait 2 years to get rent from you?

Old 03-25-2010, 05:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I think the only thing the LL can come after you for is the rent.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,627,457 times
The LL can come after you for the rent (assuming that the basement apartment you rent is actually a legal apartment), but the mortgage is between him and the bank. Do you have a formal lease?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
His mortgage has absolutely nothing to do with you and if the property was foreclosed on you would, as long as you're a legal tenant, be given time to move out by the foreclosing lender. No, he would have no grounds whatsoever to sue you if the lender foreclosed on the house.

As far as the plumbing is concerned and if the issue of plumbing isn't included in the lease (and even if you don't have a lease) you should look up your state's landlord tenant laws. In most cases you're required to give the landlord written notice of maintenance problems which, in the case of major plumbing, electrical, etc. he has to fix in a reasonable time period.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
Since you are possibly under the safety net program while waiting for your disability claim to get approved, you qualify for legal aid. There is a link for them at this website.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Massachusetts

Also, here is a link for more information on MA l-t laws: http://www.mass.gov/Cago/docs/Consumer/LandlordTenant073007.pdf

Aside from all that reading, your landlord's mortgage is not subject to him renting out the basement apt. Having said that, is your apt a legal one? The issue of your plumbing may be correlated to why basement apts in homes are generally not legal. At any rate, take your lease and go to the legal aid office.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 29,165 times
Thank yoiu everyone who contributed in valuable information. Much appreciated!

Safety net laws....great...I know I cannot be the only person going through tis as I know disability does take time. So I knew there HAD to be something just di not know what. Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting