U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 18,424 times
Default Replacing Carpet

We have been renting a place for 13 years in Los Angeles County. The city inspector came by and wrote that the carpet needed to be changed. The landlord charged us for the replacing of the carpet citing that we damaged the carpet by using Glade fresher. When you would walk on the carpet you could feel it was raised and it was due to the freshener. Do I have to pay full for the replacement of the carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,458,028 times
As I understand it, carpet has a useful life of about 5-7yrs. If you've been in there for 13yrs, then that carpet has more than met it's useful life and needs to be replaced on the LL's dime. Now if the LL just installed the carpet when you moved in, and you've only been there 2yrs, then I'd expect you to pay a portion of the carpet replacement.

I'm an amateur LL so feel free to request a refund for what you paid for my advice

Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 AM

3,338 posts, read 9,456,429 times
oneasterisk is correct and his fee is payable in full. As for the carpet, the LL is liable to replace the carpet. It is a standard in rentals that 5 to 7 years is the useful life. You took care of lower grade carpet (apartments typically have less than the best carpet). The LL is lucky the carpet lasted 13 years and should realize that having a long term tenant who cares for things saves him/her money. The LL is responsible to change the carpet, not you. Your liability is zero percent of wear and tear.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM

15,048 posts, read 18,928,714 times
13 years is carpet living in over time......so the LL saved a lot of money and now has to pay for new carpet...not you.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Thank you very much for everyone's responses. The landlord sent me a letter stating that it was my fault the carpet needed to be changed and that I was to refund the bill in full. He called screaming that it was my fault and that I will pay for it. I told him that it is normal wear and tear and that he had to replace it. He screamed at me stating that NO it is not HIS responsibility and to pay and hung up the phone. Should I send a letter, call the city, or the inspector? Thanks in advance. The landlord has left my whole family in panic with his screaming and showing up at the door. Due to this we are planning to move and don't want him to take this out of our deposit if we do.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 PM

17,580 posts, read 18,148,870 times
That sucks. Sounds like you are going to have a battle on your hands to get your deposit back.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:22 PM

11,995 posts, read 11,328,821 times
Info for Tenants and Landlords Menu

Home - California Department of Consumer Affairs

You didn't say why the city inspector came to your apartment, is that normal procedure for them to inspect, is this a move-out?

He can bill you, he can take you to small claims court, but he wont win. If he keeps the SD for this reason, you write him a letter in response stating the liability for the carpet is his, show that you are aware of landlord/tenant law, request he refund the money, give him time to respond, take him to small claims court if he refuses.

If he continues to alarm your family at the door over the carpet issue, he's violating state landlord/tenant laws as well as harassment, call the police and file charges.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:56 PM

The city inspector comes by every 3-5 years, since this is a rent control unit. Thank you everyone for your responses

Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 PM

212 posts, read 239,759 times
Oh hell no he wont win in a small claims court! They'd laugh him out of the door!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,114 times
I find it INEXCUSABLE that tenants are required to pay for the replacement of carpeting in a rental. IT is the cost of doing business. Not to mention a violation of health laws, that the Landlord would refuse to replace the carpeting and simply give it a "good" cleaning. I mean with all the diseases that people have - moving into a new place with old diseased carpeting SHOULD be illegeal. I can assure you if my LL charges me to replace the carpeting after having lived here for 3.5 years , blood will spill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting