Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And you have absolute irrefutable proof that no tenant in the history of time has ever lived in a place for 8 years and then tried to live out their deposit before slipping off into the night? No tenant of 8 years has ever lost a job and lied, claiming that they will pay late, in order to put off an eviction for as long as possible?

It's a firm policy here. Pay or quit goes out on day 5, Court papers are filed on day 10. Court is a couple of days after that. If the late tenant can get it paid before the court date, it automatically cancels the eviction.

If a tenant can pay on the 13th, he still gets the pay or quit on day five. If he can pay by day 13, he is fine and can stay. If he lied and can not pay on day 13, I have not wasted 2 weeks, believing his lies, and allowing him to live there an extra 2 weeks for free before I can get him out.

Pay your rent on time and you never have to worry about being evicted for non-payment of rent. If you landlord doesn't believe you, don't hold it against the landlord. Blame the 99.9% of your fellow tenants who tell lies in order to escape responsibility.
I got no pay or quit notice. Only a court notice. Offering to pay on the 13th didnt cancel the court date in my case because landlord said to pay them when we went to court on the 25th. I was naiive and believed them. And I DO hold it against the landlord in this case. They are capable of making judgements based on individual situations but chose not to. If a landlord is going to base all of their actions on a few bad apples, I dont think they are very good landlords/business people.

By the way, I got my full deposit back with interest when I moved, so I guess not all renters are slugs, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:46 PM

155 posts, read 556,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Lying on applications seems to be common. We almost rented to a family that put a friend down as their former landlord. The guy gave a glowing recommendation, but I was suspicious. A little research turned up the real landlord, and the truth was that he had started the process of evicting the tenants.

Dodged that one. Whew!
Hi what type of research you did to find the real land lord?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusJosephUS View Post
Hi what type of research you did to find the real land lord?
You can usually look up the property owner's name and address at your local tax authorities office.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:55 PM

155 posts, read 556,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You can usually look up the property owner's name and address at your local tax authorities office.
thank you for your information.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Here in Texas you can do that online at the County Tax Assessor's website. google for your local Tax Assessor.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,003 times
Hello Landlords,
So here's my story. I live with my fiance and his parents for three years now. His parents couldn't afford the house anymore and now it's foreclosed and we have to move out within a month to receive the assistance money ($10,000) . My fiance and I decided to rent a house with two other couples because in San Jose Ca; the rent is very expensive. I don't know how working class people survive in this city. Anyways, there's six adults and two children (4 years/ 7 months). We're honest and responsible; we told every home owner we meet the truth. There's eight of us total and three of us have low credit score from the recession. Our families lost their jobs and couldn't keep up with financial obligations. We don't want to lie to get a place, but as honest as we are; nobody accepts us. We are all working adults in our mid- late 20's, so the way I see it is that there's six incomes coming in. But landlords seem to want a single family with one decent income. I understand why people lie, because they need a place to live. We're still being honest about everything, but still no luck being chosen as a tenant. And all these application fees add up when we get turned down because of how many people in the household. Now, I understand why some people have no choice but to lie so that they could provide a home for their family. If we can't find anyone to take us then we'll just have to go separate ways and rent a room for now. If I told you the truth, would you still accept us? Or would you choose someone who looks good on paper?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i have been sued. i did nothing wrong was very kind and generous. she still won moving expenses.
trashed my place and did not pay rent. gave her full deposit made no difference.
shook down the contractor for money too. never rent to people that are into suing owners.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have been sued. i did nothing wrong was very kind and generous. she still won moving expenses.
trashed my place and did not pay rent. gave her full deposit made no difference.
shook down the contractor for money too. never rent to people that are into suing owners.
What you did wrong

was very kind and generous
gave her full deposit

So you should them or at least looked weak

Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
...All of them?

Actually, better quality tenants have no reason to lie. It's the subpar tenants that do it more often. Most tenant lies that you care about can be verified. Income, employment, credit score, etc.

Do not forget, other landlords lie about their tenants to get rid of them.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I wrote about my bug situation this summer, going from one apartment to another. and inadvertently bringing bugs with me (i think this is what happened).. Now I feel like I look like a liar. In my previous apartment, I thought i had bugs and the landlord assured me that he has his bug guy make sure, and he gave the place a clean bill of health. NO bugs. apparently when i got here a couple months later, they appeared. probably hitched a ride in my stuff.

So now i feel like with my new apartment, they fixed the problem, but i feel like I appear to be a liar, for all my new landlord knows, i may have brought it (no one knows where they came from but most likely if i had to use logic, they probably came from my old apartment.

I did not know that I brought that with me, if thats what happened, and now I feel bad about it.

And me as a tenant never brought damage to any apartment, except a few wear and tear things that I paid for out of my security deposit, but i never did anything knowingly damaging. So i feel terrible about this.

I know feel like a bad tenant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting