Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 05:54 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,500,101 times

Advertisements

As a tenant, I expect a receipt when money is paid. I recently needed a receipt to prove payment of rent that I was going to have to mail in. All they did was photocopy a money order and initial it. That's not really a valid receipt or proof of payment.

If that was the case, I could have a money order purchased, fill it out, tear off the top half and toss it...after all, my money order receipt is proof enough that funds were actually received, right? As least that's what their methodology would lead me to believe.

I want an ACTUAL receipt, and next time the rent is paid, something WILL be said about getting legal proof of payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,428,313 times
No, your money order receipt is not proof of payment. Nor is the initialed photocopy.

Rather than get all bent out of shape about it, why not solve the problem by:

1. Opening a checking account and using a check to pay your rent. Your cancelled check will be proof of payment

2. Ask the LL or management company to provide you with an actual rent receipt when they receive your rent payment

3. Go through whatever vendor you purchase the money order from and ask them for a copy of the cancelled money order. For example, if you buy it at Wal Mart, the vendor is Money Gram. If you buy it at the post office, the vendor is the USPS. It costs money to get those copies, though, and I don't think you want to lay out extra money each month just to get a copy.

You should have told you LL or management company from the first day that you gave them any money that you expect a receipt for any money given to them.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,354,458 times
Actually, a copy of the payment, with initials (signature is better) and a DATE from an authorized employee of the company or owner of the property is probably a legal receipt.

I know in Idaho at least, a copy of a check, stamped "Received" with a date and signature is considered legal proof of delivery on Earnest Money for real estate transactions. We are audited by the state every 18 months or so and they have always accepted that as legal proof for our files.

So just a copy with initials isn't really a receipt, but a copy with a signature and a date probably is sufficient.

HOWEVER, all that said, you do have the right to ask for a real reciept if you want one.

*Edit* Your money order stub example isn't relevant. That is your receipt to use at the bank if the money order is lost or destroyed. It is a receipt between you and the bank (issuer), not between you and the landlord.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 PM

27,204 posts, read 46,522,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
As a tenant, I expect a receipt when money is paid. I recently needed a receipt to prove payment of rent that I was going to have to mail in. All they did was photocopy a money order and initial it. That's not really a valid receipt or proof of payment.

If that was the case, I could have a money order purchased, fill it out, tear off the top half and toss it...after all, my money order receipt is proof enough that funds were actually received, right? As least that's what their methodology would lead me to believe.

I want an ACTUAL receipt, and next time the rent is paid, something WILL be said about getting legal proof of payment.
Maybe you should rant against your self and pay by check. The cancelled check is proof of payment or pay by bill pay...don't blame others look at your self first and then change what is wrong.

But I guess you had financial issues and don't have a bank account, which is your issue and your problem, not the LL!

But you also can ask for a written note which is signed byt the LL so you have proof...nicely asked

Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM

494 posts, read 887,835 times
Quote:

Why don't you have a checking account for these things? To me, having to get a money order for the rent is a major red flag that something is going on financially. You could solve your own problem as others have said by just writing a check for the rent.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:38 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,751,450 times
I get checks from my tenants. And if they pay by money order, I copy it and put it in their file. That way I know what is paid.

The reason one tenant dosnt have a checking account is because she has left unpaid bills all over the place!!

I would open a checking account ; then there is no problem.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
No, your money order receipt is not proof of payment. Nor is the initialed photocopy.

Rather than get all bent out of shape about it, why not solve the problem by:

1. Opening a checking account and using a check to pay your rent. Your cancelled check will be proof of payment

2. Ask the LL or management company to provide you with an actual rent receipt when they receive your rent payment

3. Go through whatever vendor you purchase the money order from and ask them for a copy of the cancelled money order. For example, if you buy it at Wal Mart, the vendor is Money Gram. If you buy it at the post office, the vendor is the USPS. It costs money to get those copies, though, and I don't think you want to lay out extra money each month just to get a copy.

You should have told you LL or management company from the first day that you gave them any money that you expect a receipt for any money given to them.

This is my plan, it just bugs me that for all this time I haven't gotten an actual receipt--my room mate's been dealing with the office all this time. I mentioned I needed a receipt for the rent because someone wanted proof of what I was paying, and that's all my room mate was able to bring back. Well, then they also claimed that the rent was somehow "short" even though it should be exactly the same from month to month, so I went with the payment, and that was what they gave me also. Next month, I'm going to demand an actual receipt though. I'll handle it...I guess I'm going to be a pain in someone's neck.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 AM

I actually HAVE a checking account, but I don't swear by checks, especially when two different people are contributing to the total.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,428,313 times
Quote:
I actually HAVE a checking account, but I don't swear by checks, especially when two different people are contributing to the total.

You should have a separate account for apartment costs. This way, all the money can be pooled into that account and the rent, lights, etc can be paid out of that. It's much easier to keep track of that way.

I don't have any room-mates or anything like that, but I do have a separate checking account strictly for my rent, lights, and cable. My other account is for my other bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting