Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM

88 posts, read 226,286 times

Advertisements

A recent poster posted the following on a noise complaint thread...

Quote:
When I rented a condo I never entertained groups of people at my house specifically out of courtesy to my neighbors. I also never had my TV or music up loud after 9pm and I never vacuumed or did laundry late at night or early in the morning. I was lucky that one of my neighbors was equally courteous; the other was not.
I share the same sentiment as the above poster. I consider myself to be a VERY considerate renter.

Are YOU are a considerate neighbor when it comes to noise? What are you willing to do (and not do) as a common courtesy to your neighbors? Are any of you routine noisemakers with no guilt or sense of obligation to your neighbors?

If considerate and inconsiderate are the two extremes on the rental landscape, where do you fall as a renter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:30 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDgyrl View Post
If considerate and inconsiderate are the two extremes on the rental landscape, where do you fall as a renter?
I do not answer loaded questions.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 51,145 times
I had a neighbor that had very physical fights with his girlfriend, throwing her up against walls that I was on the other side of. (Yes, the police were called on several occasions, the girlfriend never pressed charges) This happened often late at night/early in the mornings. I usually turned my stereo up a little louder to drowned out the fighting, or if I came home from work late and was going to have company in the morning or something similar, sure I'd vacuum late at night, they had no concern for me, I had no concern for them. After they were evicted, the new lady that moved in was very quiet and considerate, so I, in turn, watched my noise level after 9pm, usually earlier if I knew she had to go to bed early.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 PM

210 posts, read 502,404 times
I live in a fully detached bungalow so thankfully I can clean/watch TV and play music whenever I want. My two dogs will bark at times during the day at the dog on the other side of the fence (and it barks back), but we ensure they do not bark outdoors early in the morning or late at night. I'd like to think we're very considerate neighbours and if any reasonable issues were raised with us doing something that upset our neighbours we would definitely re-think our ways as we don't enjoy upsetting other people.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:37 PM

73 posts, read 586,559 times
Yes, I am a courteous person in general so I do keep in mind that I have neighbors and that apartment living can be hell if neighbors aren't considerate of those around them. I've always chosen upstairs apartments (for safety, privacy and to avoid upstairs stompers) but am considerate of my downstairs neighbors. I often wear high heels to the office but take them off as soon as I walk into my apartment, not only because they're somewhat uncomfortable but because I have hardwood floors and walking on them in heels is LOUD.

I keep the TV volume at a reasonable level and turn it down even lower when I'm being a night owl and watching TV late at night.

Unrelated to noise, but unlike some of my neighbors I'm courteous enough not to hog all the washers and dryers in the laundry room. There are only 3 machines, so I will only do 2 loads of laundry at once so that there's one machine open in case someone else needs to do laundry too. This was common courtesy in my dorm when I was in college, so I've just kept up this habit in my adult life.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Yes, I think I'm pretty courteous. I don't vacuum at night... I only play music about once a week and never at night... I never do anything loud at night on weekdays (I actually try to make my time guideline on noise around 8pm because my neighbor has a son in 2nd grade, I think 8pm seems like a reasonable "quiet time". The only things are: I do laundry all hours of the day and night. My husband wears 3 outfits a day (work, regular, and workout clothes) so we have to do a lot of laundry. And I have people over once every couple of months to play video games and it gets pretty loud. It's always on the weekend. I did have upstairs neighbors (2 college students) who played guitar hero like every other day. They always played it very loudly and they would fail a song so they'd play it like 8 times in a row (I'm guessing thats why they played it 8 times). GOD it drove me crazy. I dont expect for my neighbors never to make a peep, and I hope they dont expect that from me. I consider myself probably a 7 on a scae of one to 10. 10 being they barely know I live here.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
I consider myself (and my hubby) very good neighbors. No loud music, no slamming doors, no playing guitar or drums at 2am ( like one of our neighbors...) no having tons of people over every night and we keep our 'common area' very clean.

Our attached neighbor (we live in house with a converted studio garage that is rented separately and independently from us) has zero common sense... or maybe he just doesn't care. We're not sure. He BLASTS his truck stereo all the time, and we live on a very quiet residential 'family' type couldesac with a walking trail at the end of it so we have a lot of people walking by. He throws his empty beer cans wherever he wants, and just plain makes a lot of noise. We pay all the utilities for both units in exchange for lower rents, and since he moved in our electricity bill has gone from around $50 a month to over $400..... We've called the cops on him more than once and so have our neighbors.

I can't wait until this guy leaves.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,241 times
You agreed to pay someone else's electric bill and you're surprised it's so high?

Old 04-17-2010, 06:44 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We are very good neighbours. My kids bring in the garbage bins for our elderly neighbours, we dont have loud music, dogs dont bark for long, we keep our house nice, clean and tidy.

Unfortunately one nosey neighbour thinks we are terrible so he reported that we had a tenant in our basement ; nope ; we didnt ; my employees were moving my own furniture into the basement. So we had a visit from the town and an inspection.

Funny thing is that the house across from this nosey guy now has a huge blue tarp on the roof due to a fire and it is also foreclosed so this house is what the guy sees first thing every morning

Old 04-17-2010, 05:37 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We are very good neighbours. My kids bring in the garbage bins for our elderly neighbours, we dont have loud music, dogs dont bark for long, we keep our house nice, clean and tidy.

Unfortunately one nosey neighbour thinks we are terrible so he reported that we had a tenant in our basement ; nope ; we didnt ; my employees were moving my own furniture into the basement. So we had a visit from the town and an inspection.

Funny thing is that the house across from this nosey guy now has a huge blue tarp on the roof due to a fire and it is also foreclosed so this house is what the guy sees first thing every morning
I Hate nosey, noisy & rude neighbors. Its too bad they all cant get on a plane & get "LOST".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting