Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You were 14 in 1989. How come that was such a memorable year and how long had you been renting at that time?
it's too many reasons why it's was memorable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Boy do I miss 1989, all this texting crap
I guess in 1989 I just never would have gotten it taken care of.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Boy do I miss 1989, all this texting crap
So, you are upset that there are MORE ways of getting ahold of LLs now? And you are upset that the landlord is communicating in a method other than that which you would prefer? At least they are communicating.

In 1989 you would have left a message on the office answering machine, which they would have gotten to on Monday morning. As it is, at least the LL has acknowledged the communication.

Old 04-27-2010, 01:59 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Texting is often valuable if push comes to shove or you find yourself in court...

I prefer e-mail... then we both have a record.

My suggestion is for your Aunt to jot down a list of items needing attention and send it by certified mail.
Really? I would get annoyed if a tenant sent me a maintenance request by certified mail. I'd think he/she was trying to get over and I probably wouldn't renew the lease. Just my opinion. A regular letter might be fine. Personally, I text my tenants and they text me back for some issues. For older people, texting may not be as acceptable because they're not used to it, but I think it's a valid form of written communication.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Really? I would get annoyed if a tenant sent me a maintenance request by certified mail. I'd think he/she was trying to get over and I probably wouldn't renew the lease. Just my opinion. A regular letter might be fine. Personally, I text my tenants and they text me back for some issues. For older people, texting may not be as acceptable because they're not used to it, but I think it's a valid form of written communication.
Not renewing the lease for sending a certified letter wouldn't work here... We have "Just Cause Eviction" in addition to Rent Control. Both came into being after I bought my rentals...

There is nothing wrong with putting concerns in writing and if future problems are foreseeable... send it certified... notice I did not say "Return Receipt"

Old 04-27-2010, 04:18 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Not renewing the lease for sending a certified letter wouldn't work here... We have "Just Cause Eviction" in addition to Rent Control. Both came into being after I bought my rentals...

There is nothing wrong with putting concerns in writing and if future problems are foreseeable... send it certified... notice I did not say "Return Receipt"
OMG are you in NY?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:20 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:

Really? When a lease term is done, you have to have a specific "Reason" to not renew? That stinks.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Really? When a lease term is done, you have to have a specific "Reason" to not renew? That stinks.
And you don't think thats a good idea??

Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 AM

494 posts, read 890,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
And you don't think thats a good idea??
I don't think either party should be required to furnish a reason as to why they don't want to renew a lease.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Here's the link:

http://cedaonline.oaklandnet.com/rentadjustmentsite/ucm/groups/hcd_rent_adjustment/documents/hcd/justcauseinfo2008.pdf (broken link)

Basically, it says the Landlord may only terminate a tenancy or not renew a tenancy for specific approved reasons...

In my city, the Landlord may only remove a property from the rental stock by following a specific procedure which includes paying city fees and restrictions on any subsequent renting of subject property. Even asking the tenant to leave so that a Landlord's family member may live in the unit is regulated depending on the status of the tenant and in some cases...

As I mentioned... none of these provisions were in effect when I purchased my rentals... we also have a rent board and city set limit for annual rent increases...

There are other neighboring cities with similar ordinances.

The biggest problem is the burden of proof is on the Landlord... which sounds ok. In reality, a Landlord was previously free to give notice to require the tenant to move... no reason needed. Giving a reason, opens the door to disputes and often Landlords do not want to accuse someone of Drug Dealing fearing repercussion... anyway, how many Landlords can PROVE in a court a tenant was illegally involved in Drugs?

The law, however well intentioned, does provide an avenue to contest any eviction with the burden being on the Owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting