U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-29-2010, 04:58 AM

17,580 posts, read 16,445,450 times
I'm surprised anyone even uses CL after hearing all these stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM

4,953 posts, read 8,446,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgal View Post
Here's my Craigslist story: We were relocating and decided to lease our home instead of trying to sell. Thought I'd handle it myself and not have to pay a property managament company. I wrote up a very descriptive ad for Craigslit and included four pictures, with the address, rental rate and other terms and my telephone number. Of course, I immediately received several bogus emails, but I got a few phone calls too. We were in the process of packing for the move plus fixing up the house for rental and had several people working at our house, so I allowed someone who drove by our house to come in and take a look. They had spotted the house on Craigslist and drove by to make sure it was legitimate. It was a very nice family of four and they loved the house. The woman was obviously very excited and asked about filling out an application. "It's $700 a month," right?" she asked. No, I told her, it's $1,200 a month. "But the ad said $700 a month," she replied. I was horrified thinking I might have made a typo, so I got online and checked it out. My original ad had fallen off the first page, so a scammer had duplicated my ad with photos and everything and run it again, only the price had changed to a lower rate to draw people in and our phone number had been removed. I flagged the ad and it was removed immediately, but I felt terrible for anyone else who might have contacted the scammer about our house.

Now, I never respond to any Craigslist ads that don't include a phone number.
This is very common. We've had it happen multiple times, both on rental ads and homes for sale.

Unread 04-29-2010, 11:58 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,571,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
This is very common. We've had it happen multiple times, both on rental ads and homes for sale.
Holy cow, I never would have thought of that! We marketed our house for rent on Craig's List and other rental/real estate sites and that never crossed my mind. Luckily, everything turned out well.

I had one person call me and say "My dad says there are a lot of scams on Craig's List. Are you a scammer?", which I thought was funny because if I were, wouldn't I tell her no? She didn't look at the house, so maybe I didn't answer the right way.

Unread 04-29-2010, 12:35 PM

17,580 posts, read 16,445,450 times
Check this out from the real estate thread.

Is this Shady ??? ...help....

Unread 07-11-2010, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
I got the same email for a rental in Colorado Springs, its a scam trying to get your personal info for Identity theft !
there is no monroe properties in colorado ! plus they are using a hotmail email acct, very unprofessional . BEWARE
----- Forwarded Message ----
To:
Sent: Sun, July 11, 2010 1:31:47 AM
Subject: RE: house

Hello Jill,

Thanks for taking the time to email me about the place.

We thought we had the place rented last week to a young couple, but communication has dropped off. you are the first person to email about it since we put it back on the market . It would only be fair that we gave you the first shot at the property.

Normally, we would prefer a year lease, but would also be open to shorter terms. I'm sure that you will want to see the property before making a final decision. I would simply give you the address and let you swing by, but my husband is against blindly advertising an empty home online. Rest assured the home has been up kept properly and had a good cleaning and fresh coat of paint. Basic utilities are currently on, but we expect that you would get them put into your name fairly quick.

If you want to go ahead and schedule a time to see the property, go to the link below and print off the free copy of your report. Your score isn't necessarily important, we're just interested in seeing that there are no evictions / landlord related judgments.

Here is the link: http://leasing-reports.com/property04845/ (broken link)

I am very open as far as appointments go to show the property. Any morning after 10am is fine. Just let me know when you have everything printed and be sure to leave me a contact number to reach you at and any desired time. I will call you to confirm a time and choose a place to meet.

Thanks for looking,

Agatha Monroe

Unread 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM

1,640 posts, read 953,865 times
Scammers are on both sides, renters and landlords. I rented two nice houses advertising through Craiglist and I NEVER asked anyone to fill out a pre-application. I screened people over the phone regarding income ratios, pets, smoking, credit problems, etc., but if and only if they had looked at the property and wanted to apply did I take an application. There is a great site called In Site that does screening and evaluating off an application that the prospective tenant fills out online. There is a $25 fee that the prospective tenant pays.

As far as scams from renters, it's always the same. "I'm moving here from England and want to rent your house (sight unseen-RED FLAG) and then they as for phone numbers and fax numbers, etc. These just go in the byte bucket. Real prospects will email me or call me. If you can't get human interaction either way, something is wrong and AVOID.

Unread 07-16-2010, 01:12 AM

98 posts, read 360,332 times
Even though this is from April, I know people still check out what the posts say. So I want you all to know that what you're reading is very true and I got one of the very same emails back like FinsterRufus posted. I got the credit score report one. I sent a second email asking a question about the property and got the next day a similar letter as the first. It was as if I had never emailed them a question. I was leery anyway and researched the name and info that was in the email and the so called credit bureau. All bogus, fake stuff. Craigslist has tons and tons of scam ads. I look through many states, in my search for quality low rent areas and have seen some duplicate ads with photos in a wide variety of states. Same ad, same photos, same rent amount different contact address via craigslist, to suit the state. So you really need to be cautious and read the CL scam warnings.

Unread 07-16-2010, 06:42 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,081,756 times
I would rather spend some time in a long-stay hotel at my relocation place - as uncomfortable and inconvenient as it is - and see the place/meet the LL in person. If you are not sure, don't give information, don't send money, don't promise anything.

I have also talked to people via email I would not like to work with either as a LL or a tenant. Meet in person, meet in person, meet in person.

No specific information via email (both to LL and tenant) if I don't know the person. For ex., I would talk about an apt but I would not give the address if it is vacant. And I would talk about my job but not give detailed information.

Why in the world would I fill an application if I don't even know LL and tenant would like to sign a lease?! Maybe it is a hassle for nothing.

I have received many weird emails from LLs and tenants via Craigslist. Most people posting there are serious (or so I believe) but there are scams too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting