Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:55 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
How in the world could it possibly be legal for someone who didn't sign a contract to be responsible for someone else who did?

Right, that's what I want to know.

So this is what humanity has come to, the mighty buck. It is sickening that another person can even have the nerve to do this to someone that has just lost a loved one.

really terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
http://docs.google.com/viewer?url=ht...number=6&w=800

Section 250.303

No where does it say you can go after the heirs of person on lease with the exception if there was a widow

Just a hunch--------there are 2 meanings to the word --heir.

One commonly used is relatives/descendants
The other is in the term inheiretance.

I doubt you can force relatives to pay bills.
Perhaps you can force people who inheirit (sp) godds from a deceased to pay their debts.

This should actually be handled by a iien on the persons estate.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
A quick google search pretty much confirms that relatives are not liable personally for the debts unless they actually signed the contract.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 AM

110 posts, read 348,137 times
This story is just so silly. According to the story, this is common practice in that town. I am astonished that people have been complying with such a ridiculous demand from landlords.

A landlord might have a chance against an estate if the heir continued to occupy the property or refused to turn over the property to the landlord, but that is not what happened in this story in York. In this story, the mother died on March 18 and she was paid thru the end of March. The son cleared out the apartment within by March 20 but the landlord still demanded April. If the landlord chose to sue the estate, he/she'd have to get in line with all of the rest of the creditors. That is not what the landlord in this story is doing.
sskkc and NEOhio are right. You can put anything you want in a lease but that does not make it enforceable. You cannot enter a contract binding someone else without that parties's consent. I can write into a contract that Donald Trump is my heir and will be resposible for all my debt after I die but I doubt the Donald will pay my next month's rent after I die.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:48 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
How in the world could it possibly be legal for someone who didn't sign a contract to be responsible for someone else who did?
State law, will executors (personal representative of the estate). Its still rather cold, but within law.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
State law, will executors (personal representative of the estate). Its still rather cold, but within law.
But everything I have seen says this isn't the case. Of course the estate may be held liable, but that is different from an individual.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
But everything I have seen says this isn't the case. Of course the estate may be held liable, but that is different from an individual.
Under the law, the man acted as his mothers representative on her behalf, by law the LL can charge the entire months rent without pro-rating. Although the 30day notice statement is where the LL went wrong.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:33 PM

110 posts, read 348,137 times
Legally, you must be appointed personal representative. It does not even sound as if that happened, All the son did was tell the landlord his mom died and the landlord would have the apartment back in two days.

She is also dead. It would be a legal imposibility for him to act as her personal representative. He could act as executer/personal representative of her estate . But that is not what this is about. The landlord is attempting to enforce a liability against the son personally, not against the deceased's estate. That is not within the law.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM

This defines it better, legally then if he's not the executor would he be unable to enter or retrieve her personal belongings, just random thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewinScal View Post
Legally, you must be appointed personal representative. It does not even sound as if that happened, All the son did was tell the landlord his mom died and the landlord would have the apartment back in two days.

She is also dead. It would be a legal imposibility for him to act as her personal representative. He could act as executer/personal representative of her estate . But that is not what this is about. The landlord is attempting to enforce a liability against the son personally, not against the deceased's estate. That is not within the law.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I'm sorry that the son has had to deal with this but no amount of chest-thumping, crying foul and outbursts of indignation from anyone is going to alter the plain fact that the clause I quoted earlier, viz:

"The terms of this lease shall be binding upon the heirs, executors, administrators, and successors of both landlord and tenant in like manner as upon the original parties. However, in event the lease is for more than one year, the heirs or successors of the tenant shall have the option to give written notice of termination effective at the end of the lease year in which death occurs."

is part of contract law, perfectly legal and absolutely enforceable. I'd suggest to all those who disagree so strenuously that they contact an attorney for confirmation.

The same goes for the other side, as this clause notes. If a LL passes away, his or her "heirs, executors, administrators and successors" are likewise bound by the law where a tenant's right to occupancy is concerned until the end of the lease year.

Last edited by STT Resident; 04-29-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting