Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 PM

77 posts, read 253,046 times

Advertisements

I have a 4-plex that has a detached garage.

Its a 4 car garage with a solid wall in the middle so 2 spots per side. It currently is opened by a key that allows you to left the large door. It also has a side door you can enter with the key also.

I was thinking of adding a Garage door openersince it is sort of a pain to get out of you car to open it up and park inside. I would like all tenants to park inside of it instead of outside in front of the door.

Does anyone have experience with a garage for their apartments?
Did you install a garage opener to open the large door?
How do you manage giving each apartment a garage door opener?
What if they lose it or move out and not return it?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:08 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
I guess you have 2 tenants per garage. Give each an opener. Obviously you would use different codes on Opener A and Opener B. When one leaves, change the code on the opener they used. If they don't return the remote, just charge them the replacement cost for a new remote. You will change the code anyway. (even if you get the remote back, change the code, it is easy for them to see the code on the remote and they can buy one, program it, and enter)

Old 05-05-2010, 03:44 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Yep, as DowntownVentura writes it is pretty straightforward to get an opener for the overhead door and install it yourself. The big brands are Genie , Chamberlain and Craftsmen (which depending on the model was probably made by Chamberlain). The chain drive units work fine, but they are noisier than the more expensive belt drive types, I did not have good luck with the screw-drive units, but they may be better now.

The tenants that appreciate the convenience of the garage opener generally are pretty good about returning the remote and if they lose it I just charged them the same price as they cost at the hardware store for a "universal" which is the same kind as the kind built into newer cars with that feature.

Easy enough to reprogram, pretty secure. A nice upgrade.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
I charge a $35.00 deposit fee on move in for the opener. It is returned when the tenant moves and returns the remote. It is specified in the lease, the $35.00 is a seperate deposit on the opener. I have not had a problem with them not being returned. I also state in the lease, a lost one is $35.00 to replace. No replacement until the $35.00 is paid. Tenants like the remote and have taken care of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting